Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XT Forester
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just putting this out on here, not had any response on the Outback forums! Foresters would be the same as both vehicles have the CVT.
I drive a '13 Outback 2.5 I'm at 90,000 miles, yesterday when I flicked the gear lever over to M and use the paddle shifters there was just a dash symbol shown instead of what gear I was in at the time and the shifters were totally unresponsive. Changing back into D mode, again, no response from the paddles.

After stopping the vehicle and switching off for around 30 mins, I jumped back in and everything was working correctly and has been today!

Anyone had this happen or know what would cause it? I called into the dealer today and no one has ever heard of it happening before.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Premium CVT
365 Posts
Here's the problem -
Manufacturers don't make manual transmissions anymore, because everyone can afford an automatic, but all those buyers still wan't the control of a manual. So they make all these half-a$$, computer controlled, goof-ball slush boxes that don't work right and cost a second mortgage to fix/replace.

Sorry, can't help you. When my CVT dies I am converting to a 6 speed.

·
Registered
2010 XT Forester
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man, yup, I need a manual car again! The only permanent solution around the problem I think.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Premium CVT
365 Posts
Subaru should be able to find the issue. It's either mechanical (failed paddles) or computer. Sorry man, mine still work fine at 50K.

·
Registered
2010 XT Forester
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing some searching on other car forums, not just Subaru, it seems quite a few owners have had this problem. Switching off the car and restarting seems to reset whatever the problem is. I'll wait until it becomes a bigger problem. It's working fine today.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,482 Posts
Probably a waste of time, unless you can replicate the problem. If you are out of warranty, the dealer will charge you through the nose to tell you they couldn't find a problem, but to be fair, if the problem isn't happening at the time they see it, there is nothing wrong to find.
I would chalk it up to glitchy Subaru electronics, a feature they are well known for.

·
Registered
2010 XT Forester
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My thoughts exactly. It's the first "electrical glitch" I've had in 150,000 kms and since I bought it new in 2013. Been driving for 3 days now since the glitch and it works fine. I have 10,000kms left under warranty. If it's going to get worse it better well do it sooner rather than later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts