Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, suddenly when i was driving home from work the engine light and the esp turned on. I used my diagnostic tool and read out the error p1469, and i checked online that this could be a hose on the intercooler. I have checked the intercooler and the hoses seems fine i have also checked the dpf pressure sensor and it also seems fine. Anyone know how to fix this problem? Do i have to replace the dpf

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
212 Posts
DTC1469 is DPF Limp Mode. Will display, if a particular condition (outside a certain sensor range), is present for 2 drive cycles (as it expects it to change, if operating normally).

Are there any other fault codes?
What are they?
Are any longterm DTC’s?
What is the Soot Level?
What is the Ash Level?
How many Regenerations has it done?

Has your DPF light come on before? If so how many times, or how often? Is the DPF the factory original?

What is the service history of the Car?, Year model?, Mileage?, original owner?

You would only have to replace DPF if the current one is somehow completely destroyed, or unserviceable. If the Soot and/or Ash levels are high, a forced regeneration can be done to reduce the build up. If heavily clogged, it can be cleaned (either off or on the car. Naturally, with varying results).

If the Soot and ash levels are low. You may be able to reset the DTC, and see if it returns. If somehow, the Soot level was high, for two drive cycles (where the ECU checks all its sensors etc), it could throw that code. But it may not mean the DPF is unserviceable (just a coincidence). If your DPF light doesn’t normally come on regularly (or has never come on), and hadn’t done so fairly recently prior to the Limp Mode, it might be a glitch. So reset and carry on (but keep an eye on things).

However, more context about the car and the pending issue is required, before any real suggestions could be made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Dogs The car has done about 185k km and i have filled the tank with dpf cleaner,but i have not tried to do it electronic since my obd2 reader haven't had that option but im gonna try that now.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
212 Posts
As a last resort you can attemp to clean the DPF yourself, if you are game, have no alternative, or if it’s going to be junked anyway.

I took mine off, since I couldn’t find one at a wreckers to experiment on (they keep them for the precious metals). I was a bit worried, since it was entirely experimental, and in case I damaged it. But been driving with it for a year or so, no problems what so ever.

I was surprised, yet happy with the result, and would happily do it again. Although getting one of the exhaust stud nuts off was a complete biatch! It took most of the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried to delete the error, but after a few seconds it pops up again. How do i force regen the dpf filter?

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
796 Posts
I have tried to delete the error, but after a few seconds it pops up again. How do i force regen the dpf filter?
You start by answering the sensible, knowledgeable questions that Dogs asked (ones I was going to ask actually...and then some). Also: what is your typical driving pattern- urban, suburban, country? Typical driving distance, speed and time? (For example, a short 4km urban commute taking 15 mins or country drive of 100km for 1hr.)

Once you provide us that information we will be able to tell you if a forced regen is necessary or even possible. See here and here too.

This is neither Hogwarts nor Dominos unfortunately so with this issue there is no "magic wand" or "somthin' for nothin' " solution. It requires an investment in time, knowledge and possibly (likely) money, and the longer you leave it the higher the investment (especially money) becomes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the car to and from work, thats about 20km one way . i usually lay between 60-100 km/h. I have done one run with dpf cleaner i drove for about an hour with high rpm and really pushed the car to see if that helped, but nothing changed. Could the error be coming from an faulty sensor?

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
796 Posts
OK, good start. A few things:

0) No I don't think it's a faulty sensor. Do you have evidence that shows a sensor is faulty?

1) 20km is not really long enough a drive. These modern diesels require country driving, i.e. longer distances at relatively high speeds to allow the DPF regen to initiate and carry out. The regen seems to take 13.5 mins once initiated on a Subaru Forester, and it won't initiate until certain parameters (e.g. engine temps, times, etc.) are met. How do I know? 15-20 km was my commute and the regen would initiate within 400m of my workplace with monotonous regularity!

On this basis alone, your best bet is to avoid any modern diesel (i.e. get rid of the car) and revert to a petrol.

You have not actually explicitly stated that you have a diesel! Do you??? Year model also makes a difference, there seem to be a lot less issues with newer ones.

2) P1469 usually results from an 'overfull' DPF. Did you invest time in reading my posts? If so then you will have noted how much time and $$$ I invested in actual driving, logging, purchasing, emailing, testing, doing and finally writing up and posting. We need to know the values from the various parameters in particular soot and ash.

3) We are both doing our passive regen runs at 40 degrees. The difference (based on your avatar flag) is mine are in Celsius and yours Fahrenheit, with possibly even a minus sign before yours. It's likely your vehicle is not reaching the passive regen temp simply due to air temp, furthermore in limp mode I required uphill runs under load at 40C to get to the passive regen temp regime.

4) Clearing the codes and seeing if they reappear is a good start. The fact it reappeared means it was not some sort of ad-hoc transient.

Torque Pro is not expensive on an Android device and will generally link to an el-cheapo ELM327 clone device to give you the values we need with a little work. And yes I mean Torque Pro the paid version not Torque the freebie. Parameters are programmable into Torque Pro, they can be logged and they are available online to read out the required values we asked for...I even posted up a file of many of them at one point- go look for it. Torque Pro will NOT initiate a forced regen.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
212 Posts
Yes. In the settings you can “manage extra PID’s”.

I got the values off the web somewhere ages ago. So I don’t know how accurate or correct they are. Someone may have more correct or up to date ones.

But to get you started.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6sp Manual
67 Posts
...15-20 km was my commute and the regen would initiate within 400m of my workplace with monotonous regularity!
Thats what happened to me, and I belive with everyone, but now to think about it - there is a mysterious way to increase soot percentage by coasting, many have reported that coasting increases soot by almost a % per second.

If I review my commute to work, the end of commute looks like this - few km's on a bridge doing 70-90 kph at the end drive off bridge with speed reduction to 50-60kmh (coasting without stopping) speed increase to ~70kmh and coasting downhill to a 90 degree turn with a traffic light. if the light is green - no stopping, again speed increase to 60 on a straigt road with a traffic light at the end. 90% of the time I did coast to traffic light to make turn wothout stopping and after the turn is my job and guess who sits in his car for 10 mins waiting for regen to end :D

I think thats the case for most of us when you start to gradualy slow down preparing for end of your journey and do a lot of coasting that increases soot reading. I bet, those who work or live near stop-and-go traffic don't regen at home or work, but those who live or work outside cities do.
Going home from work is different since there is heavy traffic around where I live and it is normal driving and not a lot of coasting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts