Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
05 Forester 2.5 XT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has had their cars thorw these codes. I've searched here but not much has come up. I tried clearing them by resetting the ecu, but i think i read somewhere else that the P1718 is stored in the TCM and can't be cleared by resetting the ecu. I looked in the service manual and it states that the code is AT CAN Communication. From my reading of the manual, it has either an open circuit or a short.

Do you guys think this is a major problem? The car seems to be driving without any ill effects. It shifts normally. Also do you guys think this will expensive to resolve? I am out of warranty. I had an extended warranty up to 60,000 miles, I am currently at 67,xxx.

BTW, the car is an '05 XT 4EAT.

Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
Should be able to clear it with a scan tool(autozone.....), if it comes back relatively soon there is an issue.

·
Registered
05 Forester 2.5 XT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ thanks for the response.

I actually first found the P0700 code with my access port, and tried to clear it. It didn't clear. I read somewhere that the AP doesn't read all codes. When it didn't clear I went to Autozone to see if there were any other codes. The guy there pulled the P0700 and then P1718. I didn't even ask him to try to clear them because I know he would not have done it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
.... I didn't even ask him to try to clear them because I know he would not have done it.
I believe their company policy is that they are not allowed to clear the codes, only read and inform you. Some employees will do it or let you hit the button to clear them. Just have to find the right store.

·
Registered
05 Forester 2.5 XT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@funkymonkey: No AT light. Just the flashing cruise and solid check engine light

@ flstffxe: I figured it would be a liability issue on their side if they cleared every single code that came at them that's why I didn't bother to ask. I could try a different store where the guy would be willing to look the other way.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
125 Posts
hi mike,

i was wondering if you solve the problem? if you do can you tell me how u did it because i am currently facing the same problem on my 04 fxt AT. thank you

Andy

·
Registered
2007 FXT 4eat
260 Posts
yeeah its an old thread, just want to know if someone has a solution for this already?

i believe this code is due to the cable being plugged at the obd port.. possible incompatibilty or damage issue.

bought a scangauge like tool, connected it to my obd, worked and linked but after a few second abs,power,cruise light came up.

i took off negative battery terminal waited for 15mins, reinstalled terminal again. code and light gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts