Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
2008 Subaru Forester 119,000 automatic. Having P0457 code, not gas cap, thinking that maybe a bad Charcoal Canister Solenoid. From examining the canister, there are some clips on diff. parts, does this mean I can replace the drain vent solenoid or do I have to replace the whole box charcoal canister box?
Thanks so much!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,716 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the links! I do have to check the filler neck, but what to prepare if it is the Charcoal Canister. One of the links shows someone resolving the issue by replacing his Vapor Canister Vent Valve that he bought on Amazon. It looked like just a separate valve, that I am assuming either removed from the the canister, or is it separate from the "black box" in some Forester years? I guess some years, the valve is built into the Box. Not sure which one I have. If I have to get a whole new one, may need to hit some Junk yards! I will have to get under there again and check the wires to the canister. They looked good, but I will cut back the insulation to check the wires. The former owner had sprayed rubberized undercoating, so the connectors are all covered, but we'll see!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my '07. The dealership diagnosed that the vent valve was not operating and that the entire canister would need to be replaced. In the previous generation foresters this valve was a separate part, but from 2004 on it is part of the canister.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was what I was afraid of...see that a whole Charcoal canister online is around $300. Weird that my canister has sections that have metal clips on them, like parts could be removed, though I haven't tried it. I posted couple pics I found Online that look similar to mine. Third pic is perhaps the parts removed from the canister?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Nozaki I pulled the canister on my car today to take a look. I pulled the valve out, which you can see in the attached picture. I think the third picture in your post is from a different generation where the valve and filter box were separate parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JacobF thank you for taking the time and going to the effort of pulling your canister. If my canister is bad, would replacing the valve that you pictured removed fix it, or would I have to change the whole thing? On my day off, will really take a good look at the canister and perhaps pull it. Have read that even just small spider webs can cause a blockage in the vent hose. Work as an LNA on an Alzheimer's Unit at a Nursing Home and don't make alot of money. If I have to change the whole thing, wonder how much a junk yard would charge?

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did see one on Ebay for around $93 with shipping, may have to go that route. Funny I see Youtube vids of kids removing the canister totally, prob. to get some kind of perceived or real performance boost. Not sure how that would affect passing the emissions test here in NH. Thanks again @JacobF

·
Registered
4 Posts
One issue I ran into, which you might as well if you are replacing the whole canister, is I could not get the hose off the rear of the canister. It can be seen in pictures 2-4 in this post: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/code-p1443-35503/#post3785666

I tried using a screw driver to pry the tabs and squeezing with pliers but I could not get it to come loose. Maybe there is someone around here with some trick to removing this fitting.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT 5spd Manual
355 Posts
I’m having the same issue with the same code & nobody can figure it out. I’m going to try the charcoal canister as well.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Charcoal canister question causing P0457

Hi! 2008 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium, Non-turbo Automatic with 120,000 miles. Past couple months have had P0457 code every 50 miles or so... Changed Gas Cap to new one (non OEM tho) and still get same code. Originally had hard time starting car after fueling, so changed my Purge control valve behind the alternator, that solved the hard-starting post fueling, but still get the code. Fuel filler neck looks good, and no obvious hoses off or cracked. Thinking could be Charcoal Vent Canister, but do not see any cracks or loose hoses. Hooked the green connectors under the dash, and heard several audible solenoids cycling more so from front of vehicle, did not notice a clicking around the Charcoal Canister. Should I hear one from the solenoid? I removed a square cover where I think the valve/solenoid is, but not sure if that is the only one and if that should be cycling on/off. Do I need to buy a whole new canister or can I just get the cylindrical valve that was behind the square endplate? I am enclosing what I Think is the solenoid valve, but not sure. I can't find that particular part Online and did not notice a part number on it. I may end up getting a Smoke Test but wanted to do what little troubleshooting I could do on my own. Have not blown out hoses to Canister or taken the whole thing off to check if flooded. I now am expecting my Lil P0457 to keep popping all the time with its damn annoying "CRUISE" blinker!!

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,716 Posts
@Nozaki your recent thread has been merged with your existing thread on the same subject.

Please peruse this: Forum Rules - Please read! Specifically this, under the "General Posting Guidelines":
4. Do not crosspost, i.e. post the same thread in more than one forum. Choose the most appropriate forum for your topic and post it only once. Duplicate threads or posts will be merged or deleted.
If you're trying to increase the visibility of your thread, you are allowed to "bump up" your thread, once a day. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My apologizes, was unaware of the "Bump Up" feature, will use this in the future, thanks Bobby!

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Always wondered why I saw a message that says "BUMP". So will just posting a new message bring Thread to top or do I have to use a special "bump" feature to avoid cross-threading?

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fully understand trying the need to keep the clutter down and make things manageable for everyone. Of course, when you have an issue, everything seems urgent and dire. Will be more aware in the future. Oh, and there will be Bumping! Kidding...

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, been couple hundred miles and no sign of the dreaded P0457 code. I believe it was mainly caused from Me buying the wrong size Purge Vent Solenoid located behind my Alternator. When I had hard-starting after full tank fueling, I went online and bought a new Solenoid that was supposedly a match to my 2008 Forester. When I got it, noticed the two connectors on the Solenoid were a lil smaller than the original, so I ended up putting clamps on the hoses and just in case, some silicone around the connections to try to avoid and vacuum leaks. The replacement did solve the hard-starting after fill-up, so I thought all was good even though the P0457 code persisted. Over time, I did notice a loud intermittent very fast ticking coming from the new solenoid. So ended up purchasing another Solenoid that was definitely made for my Make/model. After putting this on, CEL was gone! On a side-note, I did have a hose that went to one of the main engine intakes leaking air from just getting too inflexible with age/heat and thus was very loose, could spin it on the metal connector. I changed the hose, but if I remember correct, still had the P0457 code pop up. So, lesson to be learned, don't buy from a website even though it was a "good deal" for a part and rely on said site that says will fit specific years. I do have a bunch of spare gas caps now!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
As an aside to this issue: if you're in the habit of "topping off" your tank when you fill up , realize that you're forcing your EVAP system discussed above, to now handle liquid gas instead of vapor.
It does it no favors except to eventually force you into the this thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts