Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base Model CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new 2019 Forester with 2500 miles has a gas smell and throws P0456 code. When the code is evident it also turns on the CIL and turns off the EyeSight feature. The "S" indicator blinks too. I also get the famous Motor/pump noise from the rear after a while. This indicates that the pressure in the tank cannot be set to spec., I think. I can only clear the code by removing the negative battery cable for a few minutes.

I found that the gas tank is indicating a leak. I took off the gravel shield underneath the right side and it was loaded with dirt that smells like fuel. It looks as if the tank might have a leak at the midseam since I don't see any stains above it. I suspected that the evaporation vent and canister may have been at fault but can not see any evidence of that.

Anyone else have this problem?

I am going to take it back to my dealer on 4-1 since they are so busy with the air bag recall that they have no appointment slots until then. I'll post the results here. (I'll bet they don't have a tank in stock for this model.)

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,895 Posts
@cantrade -
Driving around a car with a fuel leak is a great recipe for disaster.
Asking you to drive a vehicle in a dangerous condition because the dealer is too busy is grounds for a lawsuit that you would easily win should anything happen.
Small leaks can become big ones, but even a small leak is capable of starting a fire that can completely destroy your vehicle.
If that happens and the fire also destroys someone else's property you could be sued for negligence.

You are under warranty.
You car has a serious defect that makes it dangerous to drive.
Take the car to the dealer and demand a loaner, or inform them that you will bill them for a rental car.
You are entitled to that.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base Model CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem found!! I took the car to the dealer today and they immediately pulled the rear seat and found a mouse nest. The critters had chewed into a fuel line and the leak was getting so big that the fuel was now evident on the right side of the fuel tank and dripping onto the pavement. This, of course, is not a warranty issue and should be fixed by Thursday since the dealer does not stock such an obscure part as the hose. They had not seen this problem before.

I can't say enough about the professionalism of the folks at Subaru of Santa Fe. They handled my problem quickly and in spite of being over booked because of the air bag recall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts