Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
05 XT 5mt
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have obviously searched and learned some info about these codes, but I have a few symptons I have not found. First off 05XT 65K, mods include:
3in TBE w/cat
STi PnP manifolds
Grimmspeed crosspipe and uppipe
COBB Short Ram
COBB STG II reflash
This all started since my last oil change. I do my own and always have. Nothing different than any other change. I noticed a significant decrease in fuel mileage first. About 50 miles a tank. I then noticed a little smoke on startup occasionally until I pull off then it goes away. Not all the time though. There is no pattern. If I accelerate hard I can smell a slight burning oil smell for a minute after. There are no oil leaks either. There is no noticable loss in power and the oil level is fine. I changed plugs at 60K. I just cleaned the AF and MAF 2 weeks ago. I did however get gas at a different place yesterday. I dont know if this caused the CELs. I know to switch the coils and so on... I dont know if the prob is electrical though seeing how oil is burning. Any ideas???

·
Registered
2006 Forester LLBean Automatic
538 Posts
I just went through 2 weeks of chasing my tail figuring out some performance issues with my Foz. I went through a laundry list of symptoms and codes. Which included decrease in fuel mileage and burning oil. My final two codes were for misfire at the 2nd and 3rd cylinders. I checked the spark at my coil pack and it was orange and not bright blue. Turns out that was the main culprit all along.

In this thread is how to check out the coil pack with a voltmeter:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...very-rough-idol-lugging-down-take-off-109632/

I do not know if your 05 has individual coil packs on each plug or a central coil like on my 1st gen. Give that ignition system a hard look.

·
Registered
05 XT 5mt
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Mine has individual coilpacks. Thanks for the input, Im digging in this weekend to find the gremlins...

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 5 MT
43 Posts
ArmyXT,

Yup been through this one too. Is the idle rough? and is this when it throws the CEL? Does it only idle rough on a hot re-start? FYI turbo subi plugs are fried at the end of the factory service interval. If you're tuned you might want to shorten the plug change interval by ~30%. Did you save the freeze frame data? You might look through that. Do you have the factory service manual? If you don't you should its 10 bucks in PDF form here. Same place I bought mine the guy took about a 1/2 a day to send the download. Here is my hit lit for these codes. Some might argue the order, I'm open to that but it ought to get you started.

1. A quick check of the of AFU 1,2,3. One, smoke under the oil cap. two, bubbles in the coolant. Three, milky looking oil. Assuming this is all good which becasue you seem pretty savvy so I'm sure it is move on the following onerous list of things to investigate.

2.Check the coil packs first switch them as appropriate to "move" the coding cylinders coils to non-coding cylinders.

3.Check and recheck all your plumbing (intake tract hoses, clamps etc. exhaust too) Losing metered air or reaction products and all that buggers your closed loop AFR most.

4. Dirty / stuck injectors. It's coding more than on one cylinder so I tend to think its not the injectors. Techron concentrate is about the only useful cleaner you could try that. It would like help either way, though marginally.

5. Fuel Delivery System. Is you filter clean enough and your fuel pressure stable?

6. Spark plug to head cover gaskets. There is some posts on this you might try a search.

7.If its mostly at idle look into the OCV (oil control valve) screens ( turbo screen while your at it). If you haven't pulled these yet or had the TSB done for such you probably want to pull these any ways.

8. Lazy sensors, usually the Front Oxygen senor though I've heard people throwing these type of codes (P030X) because of a dirty crank position sensor face.

Good luck and I wish you a speedy resolution to you problem.

JW

·
Registered
05 XT 5mt
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I have most of that list knocked out. I havnt thrown a code since this weekend. I did pour in a bottle of subaru injector cleaner and it seems better. I am considering replacing both O2 sensors. I have not had a chance to switch coilpacks but if I get the codes again I certainly will. Again, it seems fine but time will tell

1 - 6 of 6 Posts