Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My CEL came on a few days ago while driving to the store. The code came on while on the highway at speeds of 60-65mph. I came home and used my cheap code scanner and it came up with P0130 and PO171. Also on the code scanner, it said that the CAT, O2 Sensor, and EVAP were not ready for IM.

P0130 - O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank I Sensor 1)
P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1)

So I'm not sure what to exactly look for myself. I rolled under the car and the 02 sensors looked like they were fine. I'm a bit tight on money at the moment, so I'd like to avoid taking it in if possible. If it's beyond my capabilities than I'll have to.

Also additional info -
I have a MagnaFlow Exhaust and DPT Motorsport Headers if that helps.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The codes suggest that just the front O2 is bad. I'd check the wiring between the sensor and the main harness first, and then replace it if it looks fine.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a small update, code P0171 is no longer showing. I thoroughly cleaned the MAP sensor today after reading through some threads on here. I also replaced the old o-ring on the MAP sensor and it seems to have cleared the code. My idle also seems to be a bit smoother. Hopefully the code will stay away.

I'm about to go jack the car up and check out the O2 sensor now.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright so I ordered the Bosch Air Fuel sensor. Hopefully it was the right one.

Apparently I have the worst luck. Now I'm throwing a P0037 which indicates the rear sensor. So does that need to be replaced too :confused:?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Alright so I ordered the Bosch Air Fuel sensor. Hopefully it was the right one.

Apparently I have the worst luck. Now I'm throwing a P0037 which indicates the rear sensor. So does that need to be replaced too :confused:?
P0037 is an error with the heater circuit on the rear sensor. I'd check that the wiring hasn't corroded or been cut.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S-MT
29 Posts
also getting the P0037 code

Im having some of the same problems.
I just recently bought my 01 Forester S that came with a set of CEL codes.
After replacing both O2 sensors and the Cat I still get a P0037 code. Its a new sensor, wiring and connector, aftermarket replacemnet of course, not Subaru OEM.

Any ideas?
How easy it was it to clean the MAP sensor?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
10 Posts
P0130 code - Front or Rear?

I have a 2001 Forester 5 speed manual with about 80,000 km. The CEL just came on again for the second time. I cleared it about a month ago and now its back. Both times my code reader shows P0130 - O2 Sensor Circuit malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1), so I guess I need to replace the sensor. No other codes shown. I've read the previous posts in this thread, but it's not clear to me if Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the front or rear sensor, or where it is located. Does anyone know for sure? Is it hard to replace?

Once I find out which sensor I need, I need to find a replacement, but I'm confused by what I've found online so far. Subaru Parts Warehouse.com shows 2 parts for my model with prices of $91.73 or $130.52, but it's not clear what the difference is. Subaruparts depot.com shows a front sensor for $82.76 and a rear sensor for $122.36, but both are apparently for automatics, which seems strange:icon_question:.

Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
10 Posts
Sensor replaced

I decided that I really had other things to do so I took it to Allmakes Auto Repairs in Calgary. They replaced the front sensor, up under the passenger front suspension. $241 for everything, and an hour of my time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts