Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 2.5x
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site and hope someone can give me some assistance. I have a trouble code P0026 on my '09 Forester 37K miles. The last couple of weeks temps in Pgh. are very cold. Is it possible this code is due to the weather or should I take it in and have it checked? My son suggested waiting until the temps are back above freezing before taking it in to see if the check engine light goes off.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Automatic
5 Posts
I agree with @Jkruseelle...connect to an OBD to isolate the problem. I currently have error code, P0026 showing, which is the circuit on the Intake side. Last year I had a P0027 which the circuit is on the exhaust side. It can also be related to P0028, a pressure switch on the circuit Exhaust side. From what I am reading, this is part of the variable valve timing (VVT). It alters the valve timing to optimize efficiency, performance and emissions.

There are a number of common problems noted....among them are low oil level (these engines, depending on year, develop a leak in the head gasket), dirty oil, crud buildup in the valves themselves. I solved my P0027 problem by changing out the solenoid valve on the exhaust side. While I was in there I also replaced the pressure switch right next to it. Problem went away. I now have the P0026 error code.....oil level is good in the car, I use synthetic oil and keep it clean. So my first attempt was to replace the intake solenoid valve. Unfortunately this did not solve my problem, so I am on to checking the following....wiring harness for grounding and voltage to the solenoid. I will also check the new solenoid I just installed to see if it by chance is faulty.

From what I understand this is something you want to fix, but it is not critical meaning you can continue to operate the care. I would not let it go too long before addressing. Some of the blogs I have read indicate the engine will not exceed 4,000 rpm. I read this is because with the VVT not functioning properly the timing remains retarded to protect the engine. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts