Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5MT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
First time poster here, sorry if I put this in the wrong spot.

So I bought my beautiful 04 FXT a week ago, and I freaking love it. So addicted to the boost-guhhhh it's amazing. She has only had one owner since new and an old guy at that. Total garage queen with every record imaginable since new, he even did the timing belt early (and right before I bought it at just under 70k) and sold it because the clutch was on it's way out-so I got her a fresh one and we were rolling hard for a grand total of 6 days.

I think largely due to her low RPM life and then being thrown to the proverbial wolves when I got her had something to do with the fact the turbo is now p*ssing oil all over the place. I had really planned on changing out for an STI-spec unit eventually but was keen to get wheels and coils for her first but the Subaru gods that be obviously had other ideas.

So...I want to drop a VF39 in her or something like that and I am trying to compile a shopping list I am going to need-I know I need the STI catless up-pipe (I'm still not 100% clear on what exactly that is, I came from modding Saabs and we don't have such things) and I was looking at doing basically a 3 inch system all the way back. I don't know what needs to happen as far as ECU's, TMIC's and other auxillary bits though. Also if anyone has a link on how to get this stuff done that would be awesome-this is my first time underneath a Suby.

Nonetheless, I am excited to be here!!!! :icon_biggrin:

·
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,465 Posts
Welcome to our little corner of the net. If you are going to go with VF39, I'd also do an STI TMIC. Catless DP is a good idea too. Then you will need a TUNE! DO NOT drive it without getting it tuned. You have many, many options here too. Anything from an OTS tune, to email tunes, to road tunes, to dyno tunes. Start researching for good tuners in your area. I believe that (as long as your car is an M/T) you can just swap the ECU out for one from an 04 STI. This will get you a safe tune for now. A bad tune will cause death to your engine in a very short time. No tune will make it happen even faster.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT 06 STI V9 Spec-C Six Speed
815 Posts
that article will def help, it basically has been my bible for my car. Great read!

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5MT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok cool, any suggestions on a loud but not TOO loud exhaust? A friend of mine said there was an Invidia system that was Forester specific and not too crazy...also should I run a catless DP? Is there another cat after the DP or is that it? I live in an emissions area so my concern is not to be throwing CEL's...

Thanks for the article, that looks like itll be the bible...I wasn't quite ready to get this dirty on it...I bought this thing because I have WAY too many bricked cars in/around my garage....it never ends....lol

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
get your car tuned at awdtuning

·
Registered
04 Forester XT
145 Posts
Welcome to our little corner of the net. If you are going to go with VF39, I'd also do an STI TMIC. Catless DP is a good idea too. Then you will need a TUNE! DO NOT drive it without getting it tuned. You have many, many options here too. Anything from an OTS tune, to email tunes, to road tunes, to dyno tunes. Start researching for good tuners in your area. I believe that (as long as your car is an M/T) you can just swap the ECU out for one from an 04 STI. This will get you a safe tune for now. A bad tune will cause death to your engine in a very short time. No tune will make it happen even faster.
This but..don't bother with a catless downpipe, go catted. Trust me, cattless stink like hell.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5MT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I just thought I would update-I ended up with a VF34 instead of a 39, totally by mistake. Was less than 10 minutes from my house. FTW tuning in oregon is going to tune it, went with an Invidia catted DP and catless up pipe, and a "Surewin" generic catback. also got a TMIC from a 05 STI off craigslist. Should be good to go!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Before you throw all this money at the car, I would take a look into the internal health on the engine. I'd perform a compression check on it before going any futher. If compression is consistent across all cylinders, then I would feel more confident throwing money into installing the parts and getting it tuned. If for some reason you have a slight compression leak, all the time and money into installing the parts would be for nothing. Just my FYI after having this happen to me more times than I care to mention.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5MT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
man, is it really that big of a problem on these? I have never had a compression issue before. I already have the stuff on order soooooooooo.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts