Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a small crack cause it to over heat? Last night it over heated, the fans came on and the temp gauge hit the red. But as I drove faster it went down as also when I stopped. Not getting mass amounts of water loss, and when I went out again it was fine. Added more water this morning and no overheating, but I was doing 80+ for most of my journey and it was cool this morning.
I have already repaired a small crack but have come now across another one. I didn't see if before but could have been a hairline crack and repairing the last one the pressure may have caused this to split even more?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't mess with trying to repair a radiator because even if you have a very small leak afterward, the colling system will not operate properly and keep from boiling at higher temperatures and if you also allow air into the system and you get air pockets around the block, this sort of thing can be very bad indeed.

Don't mess around here, get it repaired properly and pressure tested for integrity or get a new radiator because an improperly pressurized system is not going to cool the car effectively in hotter conditions such as stop and go traffic, good luck with it.

Automotive Cooling Systems -  A Short Course on How They Work

When coolant is under pressure, the temperature where the liquid begins to boil is considerably higher. This pressure, coupled with the higher boiling point of ethylene glycol, allows the coolant to safely reach temperatures in excess of 250 degrees.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts