Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, My girl friends mom has a 2002 forester with 122,000 miles on it. It overheats when the A/c is on, but runs fine when the A/c is off. So she just doesnt run her A/c.

I did a little searching and found maybe the fans arn't turning on when the A/c is on. I also have a 2002 forester with 65,000 miles so im interested to what im going to run into down the road!

I already fixed both clocks in ours thanks to that one guys DIY, i forget his name. But anyway

Any other idea's? Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
The A/C compressor creates an extra load on the engine which requires more cooling capacity. When this happened to me it was because I had a coolant leak out of the bottom of the radiator.

I'd suggest checking that the fans come on when the A/C is activated and the car is idle and fully warmed up, especially as the temperature gauge starts to rise. If both fans are turning on, then you don't have enough coolant circulating.

That could be because you are losing coolant, or there is a block in the system. If there is a block in the system, the radiator could be partially plugged, or the thermostat might not be opening all the way. Under these conditions the total amount of coolant should be fairly constant.

If you are losing coolant, it is because you have a leak in the cooling system. Coolant is leaking out of the radiator, hoses, or engine. If you don't see or smell coolant, it could be leaking into a combustion chamber through a cracked head or bad head gasket, or it could also be a leak that only shows when the system pressure is at its highest and not necessarily at idle. It is tough to see leaks out of the bottom of the radiator or from a bad head gasket. Sometimes with an early head gasket failure the coolant leaks out only when the engine is cold.

So start with checking if the fans come on, and then if you are losing coolant. If you are losing coolant, look for the source of the leak. If it's not the radiator or hoses, you are probably looking at a head gasket repair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts