Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

361 - 369 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
🤓 You got off a bit light. Take a look at these ... .. .

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Ouch yeah that was a big leak. I’m glad I live in a tropical climate. It’s a big deal not having to deal with rust issues!

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
I own a copy of the FSM. Is it ok if I post the FSM pages along the work I've done on my car to its corresponding service?
That way other members can see how to do it themselves and have a better understanding of everything..

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #367 (Edited)
Ok, I said something that was wrong and want to correct it. Could not sleep because of it lol

Kerosene does not prevent rust, it's simply a solvent/cleaner. I could have sworn we used it before to restore roller bearings

Anyways.. I ended up getting some Rust-Oleum gel (rust remover) and cleaned up the old/rusty wheel cylinders. I really wanted to use Krud Kutter, but couldn't find any.. they turned out pretty good.

On another note.. I have a "clack tak tak" kinda sound which I cannot find its source. It seems to come from the rear and started after I did the brakes. It only shows up when I drive over small bumps or irregularities on the road and seems more prominent if I just started driving the car. It's as if something was lose and/or was hitting somewhere making the "clacking noise". The brakes work perfect though. The sound disappears if I press the brake pedal. I've taken the rear wheels off, checked everything twice and nothing, cannot find where the sound comes from. I was thinking it could be the contact point between the wheel cylinders and the shoes.. not sure though.. the sound is less the longer I drive the car.. Any ideas??

·
Registered
2000 SF5 Automatic
447 Posts
Tricky one ...... How tight is your handbrake? I usually set mine to 3 or 4 clicks to tight.

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Tricky one ...... How tight is your handbrake? I usually set mine to 3 or 4 clicks to tight.

The e-brake adjustment used to be a bit tighter than it is now I think.. I could always adjust it though..
I tried driving slowly over speed bumps while applying the e-brake and it still does the noise.
It might be something that is dangling or I left lose, hopefully nothing important.
Brakes are working perfectly though..

361 - 369 of 369 Posts