1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help with parts list to overhaul ej251

Hello SF!

I had started a thread before but I didn't know enough about my car. My '01 Forester which has 114K miles overheats, most likely due to the typical HG failure. I've decided to do a complete engine overhaul, not just the HGs. Since I'll be removing the engine, I might as well take it apart completely and change every gasket, seal, packing, O-ring, and everything that warrants replacement while I'm doing this job. Previous owner installed a new timing belt, changed the water pump and the pulleys as well as a new thermostat, but overheating issue continued(those parts I'll be just checking over). I will be machining the heads as well to make sure everything is straight.

I've never done this before and would appreciate if you guys can point me in the right direction in regards to a list of the parts needed. Here's the list I got so far:

Piston rings (3 for each Piston)
Connecting rod bearings (replace these??)
Crankshaft bearings (replace these??)
Circlip (replace these??) snap ring that holds Piston pin
•Cylinder Head Gaskets (2)
•Valve Cover Gasket Kit -Front Cam Seals (2)
•Front Crank Seal
•Rear Main Seal
•Water Pipe O-rings (2)
•Intake Manifold Gaskets (2)
•Exhaust Manifold Gaskets (2)
•Oil Fill Neck O-ring
•Rear Cylinder Head Plugs (2)
•Rear Piston Plug O-ring
•Oil Filter and Crush Washer
Head bolts(planning to reuse them) just changing the washers, is there a parts number for the washers?
Block bolts(do I have to replace these washers as well?)
Dowel alignment pins(anyone has the parts number in case I damage these when I remove them?)

Specialty Tools needed:
Crank Pulley tool
Crank Sprocket tool

Kindly, please point out anything I might have missed. Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well.. I went to a local Subaru dealer and turns out they actually had an engine rebuild parts kit specifically for my year car.. in case anyone needs it in the future its: 10105AA310 and includes all the seals, O-rings, gaskets, washers, etc

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have the $$ for that now. I would really like to do an EJ20 swap in the future though. In the time being I'm learning about the EJ25 by doing this overhaul.
Take a look at this thread, I just went through a HG repair and there are some very specific dos and don'ts while you're in there.
Read the whole thing, good info there. I just removed the engine yesterday. Thanks for sharing that link, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts