Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premiun 6MT 6MT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long time no post.

My 2014 Subaru 6MT Premium with winter pkg. is paid for and runs.
It has 131,000 miles thereabouts.
The Forrester never exited me, meh best describes my feeling.

What I can praise:
Practical and roomy, from what I understand it safe, has great visibility, a fair ride and good to fair handling. Not real ugly. Seats for being plain with little bolstering, are at least comfortable.

What pisses me off.
Rust, not the body, but just about every mechanical component.
Trying to get stuff apart is torture. As this is a car whose strong point is being thought of as a winter car, a little consideration on protecting fasteners and parts in general from rust, and designing parts that when they do rust, do not take dynamite to break apart would be appreciated.

It is kind of funny that to free up the air conditioner clutch, I hit it with a hammer. I got this advice from a Subaru mechanic!

Brakes and wheel bearings, last about1/2 as long as I’d like. Sure could use stronger brakes.

Heat is poor, AC is poor. Just a weak HVAC system. This is supposed to be a winter car.

The car can’t get out of its own way. Not expecting quick, but it is plain slow. Gear ratio spacing on the 6 Speed is weird. 5th and 6th gear are within a few percent of each other.

I have a 24 year old excavator, near 6,000 hours on it, The 2.5L motor of the Subaru burns almost as much oil. Forester gets at best 2,500 miles per quart. Used oil since new

All other aspects of the Forester are acceptable.
Nothing to be passionate about.
I can’t feel the love. Nor do I feel hate.
It does what supposed to do, serve as a transportation appliance and also remind me that I am a car guy and have other cars I do appreciate.

So in Jan 2019, not looking for a car, I read where GM was having fire sale on the Buick TourX.
Bought a new 2018.5 out of state at less than 60% of MSRP.
It is the nicest car I have every owned. Not the most exciting, most expensive or fastest, but the nicest. It has a ton of features and options.
Ride, handling, and performance are best described as very competent. The TourX is practical, roomy etc. just like an Outback or Forester but is more quiet and comfortable. Maybe the 2020 Outback will be as nice.
As I also have a 600 RWHP toy, I can’t say my new TourX is fun or real sporty to drive, but I can say it is quite pleasurable to drive. Say Ah! Heated steering wheel, etc. and actual pep when you give it the spurs. Hi-way fuel economy beats the Forester by more than 10%.The GKN AWD system is better than even the better of the Subaru drive systems. That torque vectoring stuff really is something. The bad thing about it is you don’t even know you are on slippery ice, etc. until you have to stop or turn sharply.
TourX is very sharp looking to my eye.
What not to like:
Turbo Lag, sluggish AISIN 8 speed transmission on otherwise quick car.
Needs an air lift suspension with adaptive shock, so it can play soft roading like a Subaru.
That’s about it, except-----
It is a GM product.
Will GM abandon support for this low volume car?
GM cost cut on the interior leather and a few other items, typical of GM.
Sad reality is that GM already seems to have abandoned the Buick Regal and TourX
Replacement body parts may not be supported. Parts that are available cost, i.e $1,200 for a headlight, etc.
At least the mechanical bits are shared with lots of other cars worldwide.

In any case I paid the same money for the Forrester as for the Buick and I really like the Buick, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
453 Posts
Well, the Forester isn't for everybody.

I think you would find that the CVT transmission would have resulted in a better power management experience overall. Yes, I know that is heresy. Yes, I know that engine braking downhill is lousy on the CVT. Otherwise, I think the Subaru CVT beats the MT by a country mile. Will the GM/Aisin double clutch hold up?

My 2014 CVT Forester doesn't burn oil. Most don't. Most that do are MT for reasons not known to me. I don't think a quart in 2,500 miles after 130,000 is excessive.

I live in the South. A/C is plenty cold for me. Heat output through the vents that blow on your feet is weak - agree with you on that. However, heat output through the dash vents is roasting hot.

Rusted parts? Not a whole lot of road salt down here, so I can't comment. Will GM resist rust better?

Unlikely that the AWD system in the Buick is as good as Subaru.

Sounds like you got a great deal on a vehicle you like. Will GM hold up overall? Will they support this vehicle? Only time will tell. I gave up on GM, (Fiat) Chrysler, and (Reanult) Nissan long ago. As I write this, if I had to buy a new vehicle today, I would only consider Honda, Toyota, Ford, or Subaru. Maybe Hundai if I got a screaming great deal. Maybe not.

Best of luck with the Buick!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,780 Posts
Yea the Buick looks pretty good with the turbo. Thankfully I have the '18XT. If for some reason I would not have been able to get it I would have opted for the BMW X2. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premiun 6MT 6MT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, the Forester isn't for everybody.
I'd probably feel a little different about an XT, but at the time it was way too much $$$.

I think you would find that the CVT transmission would have resulted in a better power management experience overall. Yes, I know that is heresy. Yes, I know that engine braking downhill is lousy on the CVT. Otherwise, I think the Subaru CVT beats the MT by a country mile. Will the GM/Aisin double clutch hold up?

It is a 8 Speed Slush box. Essentially same transmission get used in a lot of V6 and 4 cylinder Toyota, Llexus, Volvo's and a few VW's. Long term who knows, but it has been around since 2016

My 2014 CVT Forester doesn't burn oil. Most don't. Most that do are MT for reasons not known to me. I don't think a quart in 2,500 miles after 130,000 is excessive.

Motor probably has no wear., just came form factory that way. Just an expense over time.

I live in the South. A/C is plenty cold for me. Heat output through the vents that blow on your feet is weak - agree with you on that. However, heat output through the dash vents is roasting hot.

AC has been checked out by dealer and by INDY shops, Found out it had had leak at a fitting, fixed & hold charge, compressor runs, makes cool air, granted the interior volume on my Cobra is a lot less, but the Ford will freeze your but off. Most Domestic cars have strong AC, Imports not so much. AC seems complicated on the TourX, Climate control is good, I set it and just forget it. It heats up much faster also.

Rusted parts? Not a whole lot of road salt down here, so I can't comment. Will GM resist rust better?
It is those things like fasteners,& small parts that have lousy plating and paint. Visually, the TourX seems well protected and coated Again time will tell..

Unlikely that the AWD system in the Buick is as good as Subaru.

Lot of very expensive European cars are using the GKN torque vectoring. Focus RS uses it also.
I was impressed how it plays on loose gravel, ice, etc.
Buick has limited suspension travel, crashes on bump stops before the floor pan bottoms, usually. Forester is much better on class 6 roads and worse, Subie has ground clearance and suspension travel.
Least Opel put a decent skid plate on the Buick, vs plastic on the Subie. But then again Buick needs it!

Sounds like you got a great deal on a vehicle you like.
Yes, It was a stupid discount, Just scored 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sports 235/50-18's for $89 ea. Sometimes I get lucky.
Will GM hold up overall?
Seems like Opel built a decent chassis and car. GM parts I do worry about a bit. So far so good, (But only 6,270 miles)

Will they support this vehicle?
A very valid concern! Poor support could spoil a great deal on a good car fast.

Only time will tell. I gave up on GM,
(Fiat) Chrysler, and (Reanult) Nissan long ago.
Not a fan boy either.

As I write this, if I had to buy a new vehicle today, I would only consider Honda, Toyota, Ford, or Subaru. Maybe Hyundai if I got a screaming great deal. Maybe not.

Hyundai /KIa dealers I hear tend to be shadier than the average car dealer.
Around here, Honda dealers are rather uppity.

Best of luck with the Buick!
Thank you
PS , Put about 125 miles on Subie today.

Just for grins I need to test drive a 2020 Turbo Outback.
See My 2 Cents above.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Haven’t had our 2016 2.5i 6mt for long but it’s fun to drive seriously if you can’t find fun driving one you need to go back to driving a manual transmission car school or something it loves 2500 rpm plus to be fun

·
Registered
2015 Forester
42 Posts
We’ve had several manual gti’s in the house, and despite the very good dsg, that manual has always been our pref.

Having said that, the current CVT in the 2019 forester is so smooth. I’d take that over a manual considering the relatively lower power in the forester.

Worth a test drive. A friend has the pre-2014 model forester in NA manual trans and loves it, so it’s all personal.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
42 Posts
Btw my 2015 forester touring failed the dealership’s oil consumption test, and they rebuilt my engine for free with a new small block. Monitor it yourself and call a few dealers to see if they’ll do the test. There’s a class action lawsuit about this.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Haven’t noticed high oil consumption I’m using 5w30 Mobile 1, would of maybe considered the cvt transmission if I thought it would last but I have serious doubts of that happening!

·
Registered
2015 forester, 6 speeds and a quart of oil
149 Posts
Btw my 2015 forester touring failed the dealership’s oil consumption test, and they rebuilt my engine for free with a new small block. Monitor it yourself and call a few dealers to see if they’ll do the test. There’s a class action lawsuit about this.
I've had the consumption test, twice. Unfortunately, my dealers claim mine isn't consuming enough oil, which sucks.

Really, what keeps me in this car is the AWD, the short turning radius and the fact that I cannot get another manual transmission car to replace it. I drive this thing up forest service roads in the mountains every week, and those are the critical features I demand for the task

1 - 9 of 9 Posts