Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
06 forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a well-known problem?

I have two Foresters. On neither one does the outstde temperature sensor work, properly.

The newer one is a '10 that I've had just one month, now. It stopped this morning and is stuck on "60." (It's in the low 90's, currently.)

The older one is an '06. The readout on that one is accurate to about 85F, and then it rarely goes above that temp, even when we're well above 100, here in southern California.

I never followed up on the older one while it was within warranty. (I will keep hammering the dealer on the new one though.)

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,235 Posts
Both me and my daughter have an 08. Both are problem free for over 2 years.
I have not heard of any problems from the many many Foz owners on this board.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Mine will trip out for a day or so if it gets wet during a car wash. Hand washing and rain storms don't seem to affect it, just high pressure touchless car washes(one in particular, angle of the spray?). It sticks on 60 degrees regardless of the ambient air temp until it dries out, a day or so.

The misses, same year has never had an issue even in the same car wash the over 50% of the time causes mine to go AWOL.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
First, Welcome to the forum. Not sure if this will help, but you can check it out. On the 06 the temp sending unit is in front of the rad near the bottom, not sure on the 10, you can start by seeing if it's clean or being obstructed by anything, check the connections, clean and pack with dielectric grease. I suck with the search function but an earlier thread if I remember correctly, seemed to indicate poor or damp connections that gave false readings that were corrected when cleaned out. You could also check out ScoobyMods - Powered by vBulletin registration is free, search Modifications, Forester, and see what has been posted there.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,869 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

No problem with the outside temperature sensor on my '03X, now my son's, or my new to me '07 FSXT, which I purchased in July. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
06 forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flstffxe:
I had washed it, now that you mention it. It had self-corrected, as of this morning. I'd washed it twice before with no problems - - all three times with with the same garden hose. Maybe I hit it at just the right angle. I guess the all-weather reliability doesn't withstand hose spray!

Good thing we don't get much rain in southern california.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I don't get it either, it should at least read the temp of the water. Which should be close to the ambient air temp. But even when getting a wash in winter <30 degrees out side it has read 60 for over a day until I dried it out in the heated garage.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Forester
1 Posts
Unreliable outside temperature sensor

The outside temperature sensor in my Forester used to be pretty reliable. Recently, it seems to read cooler than the outside temperature in the morning for many miles of driving. What should I be looking for? New sensor? Wiring problems?

Andy

·
Registered
2004 Forester
1 Posts
I have a 04 forester. I see there is a sensor directly behind the Subaru logo on the grill. Is this the outside air temp sensor?

·
Registered
2001 Forester Auto
2 Posts
No issues with my 09. It has seen quite a range, from -35 to +40 Celsius.
Just acquired an '09 today - quite tickled with it, however, the outside temperature indicator is frozen at 122 degrees F. Wooohoo! I'll be wishing that were true this winter, but is there no reset for this indicator? No calibration? There must be some way to fix it.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,367 Posts
Just acquired an '09 today - quite tickled with it, however, the outside temperature indicator is frozen at 122 degrees F. Wooohoo! I'll be wishing that were true this winter, but is there no reset for this indicator? No calibration? There must be some way to fix it.
I would try disconnecting the battery for at least a half hour. Remember to disconnect the both sides of the battery, positive and negative. This might reset the sensor, but it will also reset your ECU and maybe other things. The engine will re-learn the way you drive pretty quickly though. No sure about your radio, you may have to reset that also. Not much else has to be reset.

Be sure both negative AND POSITIVE terminals of the battery are disconnected and wait a minimum of half and hour before reconnecting them. Not sure if this will work, but worth a try.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1 Posts
OMGosh... me too! Just bought it last month and didn't noticed it was stuck at 122 degrees F. Dealer said it would cost over $300 to fix :( Not willing to spend that kind of $$$. Hoping I can fix it myself with the help of folks on this site.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
2 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting this post

My 2009 Forester started doing reading the wrong outside temp about a month ago. It's currently in the 40's but its showing 90's. It's been off about 50 degrees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts