Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Yup -- there should be one on each side.

Is LED (and the transparent window with the Subaru logo on it) missing, or is it there but not working?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
239 Posts
They both light up when you approach the vehicle and when you lock the vehicle. You should take it to the Dealer so they can fix the problem. Not good the passenger side is not working, but at least it is covered by the 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with no cost out of your pocket. Let us know what the cause was, hopefully mine will not do that.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
109 Posts
it could be possible, I supppose, that one mirror was installed with the dimming/approach light glass and the other is the normal glass. Do they both autodim? The glass pops out and can be replaced with the autodimming glass which is why I wonder if it was just overlooked on one side when they were installed

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The passenger side does autodim, and there is the little Subaru logo spot for the LED in the glass. My guess is just that the LED is either out or the connection has an issue. Going to dealership next week to have oil changed, get them to look at it, and have some accessories installed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want to mess with it yourself, here's the install instructions for the mirrors. It shows how the glass pops out and the wires connect. Maybe a wire is loose. I'm guessing if you're going next week that it's easier to let them mess with it though :)

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/70676/pdf/070676-j201ssg000.pdf
Nah, its a warranty thing. Let them fix it. I don't want to make the problem worse by breaking something and, if I get the thing off and its the LED itself, I don't have the part.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had horrible experience at the Service Department. Had made appointment for over a week in advance and told them in exquisite detail which light was out (the LED embedded in side mirror).

Got car there at 9:00. There were three things I wanted done:

1) Free oil change.
2) Warranty replacement of the LED
3) Install Subaru accessories I had purchased online

They gave me a hassle about the oil change. They said it wasn't free. It wasn't until they talked to the sales department that they said I was due free maintenance for 2 years or 24,000 miles. WHY WOULDN'T THEY KNOW THIS!!!?? It's on their freaking web page. Even then, they said I wasn't due one until 7,500 miles - even though the MySubaru site told me it needed to be done at 3,750 miles. They went ahead and did it - calling it my 7,500 mile service even though my car was a 5,300.

They didn't even pull my car back until after 10:00am.

They did the oil change then proceeded to install the accessories. I'm sitting in waiting area wondering how freaking long it takes to install side body moldings, side wind deflectors, and mudflaps. At 2:00, I kid you not, they finally pull my car out and say they never fixed the LED in side mirror because they ordered the wrong light. I actually had to take the service guy out to the car to show him what light needed to be fixed!!! His looked at it and said - again, I kid you not - "So, thats supposed to light up?" So, I have to wait until the get the correct light in and go back. Mind you, this dealership - the only one in Mississippi is 55 miles away from my home. I have to take off work to go there.

THEN, he tells me it will be $349.00 for the installation of the accessories!!!! I figured a couple hours AT MOST would be required. The thing is, at this dealership, there is no window into the service department and they had the outside bay doors shut. So, its no telling how long it REALLY took to do that work.

This dealership is a shared Subaru and Volvo dealership. The Volvo customers that came into this service department were treated like royalty. The Subaru customers were definitely treated like second class citizens.

I had a very excellent experience with the Sales Department. Could not have been better. But this service department is not well run, it was extremely hectic and disorganized, and it was apparent that the front staff and the mechanics were pissed at each other. Next door, the same ownership owns a Honda dealership and my previous car was serviced there. I never had a complaint. So, I had thought I would have same experience here. Not so.

Today, I called Subaru and complained about my experience. They seemed to be really interested in what I had to say. I hope they take action.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
801 Posts
Sorry about your experience, but unless I'm wrong $349.00 sounds about right for the installation. Sucks I know, but I think that is the going rate for the labor. If I bought my own side moldings, the labor I was quoted for that was a little more than the part itself as I recall.

This is why the factory installation is always better. I think the labor is free and it is after all a Factory install and not some guy at the service dept.
... side body moldings, side wind deflectors, and mudflaps ....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No more going to them for me. I would have been better off going to a local body shop or mechanic. The reason I had them do it was because I am cursed when it comes to anything that has glue or adhesive involved. It would have been crooked for sure if I installed it.

BTW, my main thing about being upset with them was not the price of the install - although I did think it quite high. I was mainly upset that they weren't going to honor their free maintenance thing on the oil change at first and also did not tell me until it was time to pay that they didn't even fix my warranty issue. So now I have to take car back over there and take more time off.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
801 Posts
Yup! Sucks. I would stick with them for the maintenance though. Maybe they were having an off day.

My dealership is fantastic and even offers rides to the local trains or half off a rental for the day if you can't wait for your car (apart from night drop-off).
... No more going to them for me. ...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Volvo folks who came in were getting treated like that - not so the Subaru owners. Heck they had my car from 9:00 until 2:00 and didn't even vacuum it.

When I had my previous car serviced right next door (same ownership) they hand-washed and vacuumed them free of charge.

I think it was more than an off day. The mechanics and the front people were obviously not fond of each other and being snippy. They were not a happy group. They desparately needed a group hug....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts