Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forrester Automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am kind of long winded so questions first:

Anyone here have experience with the Ascent? Off road, trails and camping? Accessories? I am really looking to buy or build nice looking a full protective front guard after hitting 2 deer in 2 years and causing thousands of dollars of damage and weeks of repairs to our minivans.

Our Subarus have been our go-to all purpose vehicle for years, our 2001 Forester was our main rig until a year ago when several repairs were needed and it is now a yard Queen until I get the time to fix er up.

We are also a large bunch with 2 teens and 3 large dogs. We have a Chrysler Town & Country minivan but everything we’ve ever had from Dodge has been nothing but trouble, mostly odd, hard to diagnose electrical issues.

So we have been looking to a bigger Subi and along comes the Ascent, now a year or so old and lease returns are coming up for sale at pretty good prices.

I don’t like the lack of performance and appearance options but the Ascent leads the class in many ways despite or because of being several inches smaller in all dimensions and several hundred pounds lighter. It also offers the best mileage of the bunch, really important when you live way out in the country and drive 24,000 miles a year.

I like the look of the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade But I think the Subaru offers the better overall value.

We mainly work on staying ON the road instead of going off road but I sure will be looking forward to a sure-footed Subaru instead of this slippery Chrysler.

Anyone here have experience with the Ascent? Off road, trails and camping? Accessories? I am really looking to buy or build nice looking a full protective front guard after hitting 2 deer in 2 years and causing thousands of dollars of damage and weeks of repairs to our minivans.

I want to keep and fix up the Forester for off road and Gambler 500 use.

Here is the Forester in typical work mode hauling a full load of old hay inside and on top for the garden
A307C8B2-077E-4594-B596-FBD58EDE3CCE.jpeg

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,784 Posts
How about an Outback? We love our 2019.

·
Registered
2001 Forrester Automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks to me like the first thing you need is a trailer!
Ha ha, yeah, that would help.

My wife say ‘we can fit it, we have a Subaru!’ We stuff it in the back, tie it on top, hold onto it out the window..

The biggest load I had on my GL was 20 2x4s and 8 sheets of plywood, way over weight rating but made it the 40 miles home from the lumber yard just fine, and the crossbars sprung right back after unloading!
11D84B9A-64FC-4630-BE73-C4B19FAF8207.jpeg
Actually our Chrysler has a trailer hutch and we use it all the time. Unfortunately it is still in the shop, been there for 7 weeks after I hit a deer on August 12. Still not repaired properly and insurance won’t pay for the broken brakes say it was ‘a maintenance issue’...

·
Registered
2001 Forrester Automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Outback is just too small for us. We borrowed a friend’s 2003 Outback and after driving the Forester, every time I’d get in or out I bang my head on the doorway! We need something better suited to our largesse!

·
admin
6,784 Posts
Have you looked at Gen 5 2015-2019, they are a different animal. I'm a big big guy and it works well for me.

·
Registered
2001 Forrester Automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ll check it out, the Ascent is pretty pricey, we have never bought new before. A 2015 or would much better fit the budget.

My one complaint about modern cars (including Subarus): why do they slope the roof down in back and sweep the bottom of the windows up? Makes loading things on top precarious and the rear seats sickeningly claustrophobic!

I rode in the back seat of my aunts Hyundai and about puked!

·
admin
6,784 Posts
I know what you mean. Father in law bought a Kia Sportage and you can't see **** out of it.

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,468 Posts
We had an Ascent on-loan from our dealership for 5 days. We have two FXT-T's (17'/18') and both my wife and I were left very impressed with the Ascent. Lots and lots of utility. Very nice for a medium to large sized family. Solid feel on and off-road. Good power. Responsive. Great turning radius and visibility.

Though we both love our XT's, my wife would give up hers for a properly equipped Ascent. That surprised the hell out of me because she feels the Forester is too big as it is.

I'm game.

·
Registered
2001 Forrester Automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the personal testimonial. This YouTube review is long but excellent. He picks another over the Ascent but has glowing things to say about the Ascent that fit EXACTLY what we need- especially the 26 highway MPG, we live in the rurals and drive 24,000 miles per year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts