Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello community,

I have a big doubt. Why the new Outback onyx XT has more towing capacity (around double) than the Forester XT SJ if in theory both have the same HTCVT gearbox and the same AWD system?
What are the differences between those powertrains besides the FA20 and FA24 engine?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Leonm2 On what basis are you asking this question - are you trying to decide which car to buy?
I have a Forester XT SJ and I want to know the difference in gearbox and AWD Systems between this two SUVs because I consider in the future to upgrade and also I want to understand why the Outback has more towing capacity if the limitations of the Forester XT were the HTCVT gearbox and torque converter.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,104 Posts
The issue is more than just the engine and transmission. It also has to due with suspension and the framework of the unibody as well. It's a combination of driveline and suspension.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
664 Posts
Hi @Leonm2,

My research indicates that Outback frame and size, driveline or engine has little or nothing to do with different towing capacity for Outback compared to Forester. Difference is due to transmission oil cooler in Outback that is not in the American Forester. I Don't know about Columbia OEM Foresters.

GD

·
Administrator
14,347 Posts
@Leonm2 BTW
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts