Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm driving home from a little detail job today, and spotted a '99 Outback for sale in an auto body shop parking lot.

It had been cut-off at some point, the driver's side fender, front bumper, and hood were all a little tweaked, and it wasn't totally repaired yet (they were still working on it). It has a salvage title.

Popped the hood, everything looks straight under there, EJ251 DOHC engine like the '98 Foresters, with 4EAT. Little bit of coolant in the tank, but it was clean. Oil was not milky. Engine was pretty filthy though, which I guess is to be expected for a normal-owner car. Checked for rust, and there is none. The interior is in good shape, with a very, very slight tinge of cigarette smoke smell.

Started it, but did not drive it. Slight vibration at idle, but no more than my '00 Outback or '05 Forester I guess. It has 150,227 miles, and decent tires. No idea if the timing belt has been done, would want to replace it anyway.

At this point, I'm not interested in it myself, but possibly for my g/f (she wants a Subbie too... lol) or sister (parents are tired of her stealing the Foz :lol:) The guy is asking $3500, which IMO is a little steep, I'd guess it's worth 2.5k at the most with the title it has. He's willing to negotiate.

So, given this information, what would you do? Is it a vehicle you would consider buying if you were looking for a little commuter or college car? I know the DOHC engine is somewhat failure prone.

Opinions? Other than the damage, the body is in awesome shape.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Salvage title and a motor that -will- need the HG's done doesn't seem worth it. I'd say its worth no more than 2-3k. Insurance may be an issue with the salvage title. If it had the sohc or a nonsalvage title I would definitely go for it.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
Too much $$... and the salvage title isn't going to work in your favor when it comes to insurance and resale/replacement value. Also, I'd have to wonder if the salvage title is from previous damage, in which case you could only guess how badly it was banged up or if they cut any corners fixing it. That could be a safety issue as well.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Imma pass. :smile:

It was, however, a nice looking car. So few Subarus around here. :frown:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts