Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planning to buy a 2019 Forester sometime in the next 1-3 months. I am in Indiana, about 3-4 hours drive from Chicago, and may e-mail Chicago area dealers for a price quote.

Question: how would an Illinois dealer handle Indiana sales tax, excise tax and registration fees? Would they collect them and send them to the Indiana tax authorities? Or would I pay them when I register the car at an Indiana BMV? (I assume they wouldn't collect any Illinois taxes or other local Illinois government fees?)

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,475 Posts
Every state is different.

I've moved your post to the US Central Forum, where you can probably get better localized advice, and I've added a bit more info to the title of the thread.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
177 Posts
For me the dealer cut a check for the PA sales tax as I bought the Forester in Ohio. The transfer of Ohio title to PA was handled through AAA. This is how it worked for me.
Lou Cioccio

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,815 Posts
I live in Arizona where I titled and registered my Subaru that I purchased new from a Colorado dealership. The Colorado dealer gave me a temporary 60-day (I think) license plate and I did not pay any sales tax or title/registration fees to the Colorado dealer. I had a pleasant surprise when I went to title/register my new car in Arizona. Instead of paying both state and local sales tax of 8.7% like I would have if I bought the car in Arizona, I only had to pay the 5.6% state sales tax. As a result I saved about $800 in sales tax as opposed to buying the car locally. Not sure if Illinois/Indiana works this way but it might be worth investigating.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
615 Posts
I bought my car in CT even though I live in NY. CT dealer gave me a temp paper plate valid for 30 days. They registered the vehicle in NY for me and sent me the stickers. Had to pay a little more for the service but it wasn't bad, since they do a lot of cross-border business. Taxes were paid at the NY rate according to county of residence.

If the dealer doesn't do it for you, then you'd have to pay the taxes when you register in your state DMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts