Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's happened! I found a 04 FXT MT out in California. I've committed to the purchase and have put down $2k. I'm here out in Denver and will not be able to pick up the car until mid-March because of weekend plans I've already committed to.

The question is this:
The dealer is asking for the balance if the sale this week. I have the money, so financing or getting it to him isn't a problem. The question is, is that fair? I assume I'd be providing a cashier's check or money order but should the dealer not be getting that money until I receive the car and title? The contract is getting FedExed and I'll be sending that back to him signed by Wednesday. The dealer has been very good to work with and has stated he'd fine with me coming in March and will keep it in his showroom until I can arrive to take it home. What do you guys think? Should there be an agreement for him not to take possession of the money, but hold the check with the contract until I have the car? Should I even worry since there's the contract we've both signed? Should be not get anything more until I'm there to take the car? I've said that I can have the money to him by Friday, but I'm starting to wonder if this is how I should be handling the situation. I've love your insight on the topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
I would not buy a car without seeing it.

But, I guess you're committed. Why should the dealer store it for you unless you've paid for it? What if another buyer comes along?

On the other hand, at the very least I'd try to hold some money back until you actually see it.
 

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
Joined
·
6,760 Posts
The dealer probably wants to ensure he doesn't lose the sale. I worked at a couple of dealerships and I'd say an easy 50% of deals fall through due to lack of financing. Anyone can come up with $2k, not everyone can get a $10 or so loan to complete the deal. Also, the dealer has most likely financed the car themselves. They don't pay $10k for a used car, they borrrow the money from a bank and pay the interest. So, every day they don't get paid, they lose a little profit.

Since you're not coming to pick it up right away and they've agreed to hold it no problem I think they're being pretty reasonable overall. So long as you hold all the paperwork as soon as you pay things should be fine.
 

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
Joined
·
260 Posts
im in no way an expert on this matter heck, i just bought my first car last feb 6 but here's my 2 cents. :p

if u've already put down a 2k down payment. to me, that seems like that's your deposit. and for some dealership that is sufficient enough (more than actually! one california dealership only asked me $500 deposit for a new foz order build) for them to order the car build u want or in this, hold the car u want. it seems like the dealer just wants to make sure he gets the sale (profit!) asap from you and/or not lose this sale in case u change ur mind or something. but if ur happy with what u see and uve done ur homework on this car, i dont see any problem with this - they basically just want ur money NOW!

......but my concern if i were in ur position is, i'd be tied down to this car even though i haven't taken delivery of it physically. what if there are things on the car i wont like or needs fixing/changing esp it being a used car? they could easily decline to work on it or fix/change it for you since u already took delivery of the car (signed the contract. and it's almost always "as is"). or if they do, they might charge u for it (arrgh!). not signing anything (final sale contract) til u thoroughly checked the car and price puts u on the driver seat. hence, making room for negotiation and the likes. for example, getting new tires to be put on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drivezki: I've had a relative (40 something and avid car guy) who lives in the neighborhood take a look at the car thoroughly. It's also been checked out by a mechanic. I've definitely been hesitant about the idea of buying without me personally looking at it. To be honest, my relative out there did a much better job at checking out the car and testing it than I ever would. He's eased my mind and helped me feel comfortable with the sale.

Legacy: Can you further explain this sentence? "So long as you hold all the paperwork as soon as you pay things should be fine." The plan up until this point is for my to send the balance and the signed contract back to the dealer in San Diego this week? Are you suggesting I not send that or do you mean something like holding onto a copy that I've made of the signed contract and check that was mailed?

mundane: I completely agree that no making anything final puts me in the drivers seat. The unfortunate state of the matter is that I can't be efficient in getting my butt out there. With the high desirability of the car and the amount of interest that has been shown already by other potential buyers (dealer's word, but hard to disagree with considering the rareness of the car) it was my turn to make a decision and I like to think I've put in the time and don't my homework enough with the help of my relative there in California to make it a responsible one.

I'm starting to wonder if I just need to stop worrying and just send the money, keeping records and copies of everything.
 

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
Joined
·
260 Posts
well ur last reply puts everything in perspective. i say go for it! :D

also, what if u just ask ur relative to drop off the cashier's check (better than money orders or personal check imo coz it's drawn directly from the bank = clears a lot faster!) to the dealer? that way he gets to see where they store the car and at the same time do another final check-up on the car. <-- of course do this one first! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
It's happened! I found a 04 FXT MT out in California. I've committed to the purchase and have put down $2k. I'm here out in Denver and will not be able to pick up the car until mid-March because of weekend plans I've already committed to.
I think the dealer is just trying to ensure that you are fully committed to the purchase. If you were to back out of the deal before actually completing the transaction he would have to refund your $2k deposit (minus maybe $50 for paperwork prep time). The law frowns on forfeiture, and he couldn't keep much of your deposit without actually showing damages, of which there are none. He's protecting himself against you changing your mind.
 

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
Joined
·
444 Posts
I am not sure I have any advice to give you, other than I see no reason why they'd give you the car or title without you paying fully for the vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well gentlemen, the deal is done. The car has been paid for and I'll be picking her up in California in just a few days. Thanks for all the advice on the matter.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top