Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is our 2014 Forester - It's a base model 2.5/6spd manual. I have built a folding bed/storage platform with a pull out table in the rear. We have put over 50k miles on it in 2 years. It has been all over the west coast, the southwest, northwest and Canada. It has seen hundreds if not thousands of miles off pavement. It provides a nice change of pace over our other rig (XJ Jeep) - It is comfortable enough, get's good gas mileage while being smooth and easy to drive long distances but also provides us with just enough capability to tackle the majority of forest/mountain roads.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limitd CVT
101 Posts
Hey, that looks great. I've been looking for a way to camp without the tent and this kind of setup might do it. Just have to figure a way to get our larger camp chairs along. I have a 2015 Forester Limited and mount a pod on the roof.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, that looks great. I've been looking for a way to camp without the tent and this kind of setup might do it. Just have to figure a way to get our larger camp chairs along. I have a 2015 Forester Limited and mount a pod on the roof.
Pick up a set of collapsing camp chairs. They don't take up much space. We are able to fit a bunch of gear underneath the platform and things like sleeping bags (which condense down really small), backpacking packs, cooler etc can go on top of the platform and I use a ratcheting cargo bar to keep it all in place so I don't get knocked out if I need to brake hard. Our Fozzy is such a base model that it doesn't even have roof rails, I am looking around to find some factory rails though because having storage space on top would be nice too.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limitd CVT
101 Posts
Pick up a set of collapsing camp chairs. They don't take up much space. We are able to fit a bunch of gear underneath the platform and things like sleeping bags (which condense down really small), backpacking packs, cooler etc can go on top of the platform and I use a ratcheting cargo bar to keep it all in place so I don't get knocked out if I need to brake hard. Our Fozzy is such a base model that it doesn't even have roof rails, I am looking around to find some factory rails though because having storage space on top would be nice too.
If you put your cooler on top of the platform, where do you put it when you're sleeping? In my part of the woods there are grizzly bears in the mountains and leaving something like a cooler outdoors unattended is definitely a no-no.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
393 Posts
I like the camping platform! I wish we had nice views like that here in NY. Would be worth it! I bought a hitch mount enclosed cargo carrier- it's great for excursions into the woods where I don't want to bring a trailer or the camper with me

How did you get it out of the ditch? I usally carry a comealong with me but doesn't look like there's much there to recover off of?

·
Registered
2014 Forester
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you put your cooler on top of the platform, where do you put it when you're sleeping? In my part of the woods there are grizzly bears in the mountains and leaving something like a cooler outdoors unattended is definitely a no-no.
It can either fit underneath the fold out part of the platform, in between the legs behind the front seats. Sometimes I will leave it outside the car depending on where we are, we also use a tent to store gear/use as changing space etc depending on where we are. A lot of it is location dependent and how heavy we are loaded with gear.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the camping platform! I wish we had nice views like that here in NY. Would be worth it! I bought a hitch mount enclosed cargo carrier- it's great for excursions into the woods where I don't want to bring a trailer or the camper with me

How did you get it out of the ditch? I usally carry a comealong with me but doesn't look like there's much there to recover off of?
Got pulled out by a proper 4wd rig lol - It was funny because I stopped earlier in the road as the snow started to get deeper and deeper. We walked the road for a minute and I told my GF that we couldn't/shouldn't try go any further. She hopped in and started plowing forward, it wasn't long after that she found herself stuck in the ditch. She still hears about it to this day lol

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
44 Posts
These SSD rails for naked roof Foresters are FAR FAR better than the factory rails. They bolt right on the mounting points. I have them on my 2014 base model. It's yet another reason to buy a base model. I use Yakima Timberline mounts for the cross bars. Great combination.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-2014-Subaru-Forester-SSD-Roof-Rails-Rack-Black-Powder-Coated-Side-Rails/352638621051

Also available at Amazon.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i Automatic
3 Posts
I like the picture of the "hatch tent". I have one, and have set it up, bu haven't used it camping yet. Is yours pretty easy to set up? Does it have a floor? Does your light shut off so you don't run the battery down? I've been thinking of an extra battery for power for lights and such.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the picture of the "hatch tent". I have one, and have set it up, bu haven't used it camping yet. Is yours pretty easy to set up? Does it have a floor? Does your light shut off so you don't run the battery down? I've been thinking of an extra battery for power for lights and such.
That picture was just a couple tarps strapped to nearby trees and using tent stakes to anchor the front. I installed auxiliary lights in the rear that are on a separate switch. The factory interior lights are usually left "off" when we're inside.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts