Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have owned our 2010 Forester for a little over three months and my wife and I are very happy with it so far. As of today, we have right at 3300 miles on it.

The good:
I don't think it has burned any oil yet. The level on the dipstick is just about like it was when we drove it off the lot with 12 miles on it.
I know many Forester owners say that it does not have enough power, but with just my wife and me in it 99.9 percent of the time, I have yet to feel scared about passing or merging on the Interstate or back roads.
I am very impressed with the handling of the Forester. A Corvette it ain't, but for a small SUV it handles very well.
The gas mileage is very good, averaging around 26MPG on the Interstate. When our 2008 Honda Element was new, we felt lucky to get 20MPG on the Interstate and it drank gas like crazy while driving in the city.
I am 5'5" and my wife is 5'8", and we both find the driving position to be very comfortable. It could be a little better with a tilt/telescopic steering column.

The bad:
I have had trouble with the power door locks and I have to have the power door lock actuator replaced. I am waiting for the part to come in so the dealer can fix it.
The drivers side exterior rear door handle is very loose and I swear it feels like it is going to fall off. I will have that fixed when the actuator is replaced. Am I the only one with this problem?
The interior dome light, the one over the rear seat, does not work most of the time. I have fiddled with it and replaced the bulb.

Other than those three items, our Forester has been trouble free. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 9 as far as owner satisfaction goes. My wife and I look forward to many years of driving our new Forester. This is the only new vehicle I have ever bought where I feel that I am driving a nicer vehicle than I paid for. It is a hell of a nice AWD SUV for $24K!

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
Timbo64,

Wow, we're almost neck in neck in ownership, I just hit 3,500 miles, took delivery in Jan. after a 3 month wait. Don't have the door lock/handle or dome light issues but agree with all your other comments. How about your driver side mirror? Is the glass distorted? Going to have that replaced at my next oil change, besides the distortion the glass vibrates at highway speeds.
Did you receive a J.D. Power owner survey in the mail? I just sent mine back and gave the Forester about as much praise as one could lavish on a new car.
Except the point of omitting a glovebox light on a $28k vehicle! Oh well nothings perfect.
Continue enjoying your new ride.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
I'm glad that both of you are enjoying your Foresters. I have had mine now for two years and still enjoy every mile. :biggrin:
I had the vibrating / shaking mirror on the passenger side when I hit about 3500 miles, but it waqs fixed by the dealer with some grease / lube on the socket where the glass mounts. I have over 27,000 on Scooby now and the mirror is still good.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. :Banane35:

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
Ten months and 14,600 miles into ownership here and my Foz's only problems are rear hatch and side pillar rattles. No oil added between changes and the only un-scheduled service was the ECU-reprogramming recall.

I've owned four other new cars (and 24 used cars and trucks!!) and the Foz is the first of the new ones to make it to 10,000 miles without multiple trips back to the dealer to fix everything from a strut that lost all its fluid, then a constant check engine light, then hard steering to the right (o1 Focus), to constant stalling and a chattering throwout bearing (02 Focus), to a no-shift between 1st and second, major rust bubbles on the trunk lid, over active ABS, no radio reception, no A/C and many dash squeaks (04 Camry!!).

·
Registered
2010 Forester
9 Posts
Hello all,
We got our 2..5X on February 28th and it has about 3100 miles on it. The only issue we seem to have is that the deck lid is hard to shut for the wife. I love the gas mileage that we are getting right now it gets 27 mpg at 73 mph on the interstate and 22 mpg in town if she is driving (I get 20 but I do love the sport shift). For a base model it has more features than I could have ever wanted.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x tourin
18 Posts
Got my 2010 Forester Oct 2009. It now has 8,100 miles. I also have trouble with the intermitent rear dome light and find the rear driver side door handle to be a bit too loose. I noticed that the front botom part of the rear doors have lost the blue colour of rest of the vehicle and I suspect that this might be from rock chips flying back from the front wheels. The dealer will have to address this since I dont drive on gravel roads. I had the dealer remove a baffle from the front passenger door since it rattled almost all the time in the cold weather. I noticed that my gas mileage went up quite a bit since I took off the winter tires and replaced them with the summer ones.
Otherwise, I enjoy the ride and find that this vehicle handles very well. The visibility is great. The seats are comfortable and gas mileage is very good. As the weather warms up, the vehicle seems to have fewer rattles. On a scale of 1(low) to 10(high) for satisfaction I would give my Forester an 8

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
120 Posts
5,300 also bought beginning of Jan '10. No problems except the intermittent dome light in rear also. Rear hatch takes a bit of effort to close tight without slamming also. getting 24.5 average/tank with mostly highway.

It's a '10 X Prem

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
38 Posts
I'm at 3800 miles after 5 months.

No problems so far. I've noticed gas mileage starting to improve...I suppose due to the engine breaking in.

This car has just been a lot of fun to drive. Certainly not the most powerful, but very capable. I know it probably sounds weird, but one of my favorite things about this vehicle is the turning radius.

Glad to see everyone else enjoying their cars, too.

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT 4EAT
70 Posts
Burning oil? Is that something I have to look forward to? I had an '91 loyale. And she went thru some oil, but that was due to the leaks. I certainly hope that a brand new car would not burn oil.

·
Registered
2011 Sage Green FXP 5 spd
259 Posts
Burning oil? Is that something I have to look forward to? I had an '91 loyale. And she went thru some oil, but that was due to the leaks. I certainly hope that a brand new car would not burn oil.
Yeah, whatzup with that?

My FXP has about 2k mi on the clock. Just did the first oil change, myself. Easy and gratifying as well. I have always tended to my own vehicles, whenever possible. I could have gotten free oil changes from the dealer, but heard of horror stories about spilling oil on the exhaust pipes, ect...

I haven't any grievances, whatsoever, about mine. I'm happy with mpgs. 27 mpg @ 75mph, 32 mpg @ 60 mph, 27 around town. Keep in mind that I have a 5 spd manual & love it!

I, also, have a 96 Mazda Miata roadster w/5spd, that is feeling like second best, lately. :N_poke: so we'll have to take a day trip. :biggrin:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm at 3800 miles after 5 months.

No problems so far. I've noticed gas mileage starting to improve...I suppose due to the engine breaking in.

This car has just been a lot of fun to drive. .
i am about the same as you.. but in KM! haha

so thats 2,361-ish Miles. i haven't noticed any increase in mpg but ive been playing with my tire pressure far too often.

no dome light problems, no leaks, no hatch issues. no mirror issue.

however, i did notice the window does shake/rattle if i have it half open going 70km or over. any fix for that other than opening all the way? i'll look into it.

TCARZ : Just did the first oil change, myself. Easy and gratifying as well. I have always tended to my own vehicles
i am too going to do my first oil change.. i'm thinking to move over to synthetic but i need to do more reading on that.

i already stocked myself up with the Japanese made oil filters. there is only 1 dealer in ontario that still stocks these. in any case, i am looking forward to the oil change, it'll feel like its more my truck if i do the work on it! and i agree, i dont trust those shops.. if i can do it.. i will!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 X-Premium M/T
91 Posts
Just turned over 1,200 miles this weekend, after three weeks of ownership. So far, so great ... but I will say I'm having more trouble getting the hatch to completely close on the first try now than I did when it was brand spanking new. Seems my "hatch closing technique" is going bad ?!?!?!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
Just turned over 1,200 miles this weekend, after three weeks of ownership. So far, so great ... but I will say I'm having more trouble getting the hatch to completely close on the first try now than I did when it was brand spanking new. Seems my "hatch closing technique" is going bad ?!?!?!
That's a common complaint. A minor adjustment should cure it. A motorized locking system would be nice on this car.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
I too, am gald everyone is loving their scooby. 8 months goin on 14,000 miles and no big issues, at all. Have not been to the dealer once except for a ECU recall. I feel like there isn't enough power. My friend who drives an Eclipse got in and thought it was WAAY faster than her car...I was confused. I love the interior room and everyone who has ridden in it likes it.

Cons: I think a fuse blew on my side mirror controls. The steering feels like an SUV as did the suspension. I hate the lack of a nice paint job and lack of sound deadening.

Overall, I love this thing. It is the first new car I have bought and second time owning a Forester. A Legacy was my first car ever. I had to go back to my Subaru roots.

edit:
HA! I've noticed that too. I adjusted my technique and haven't had a problem. I just make sure I press it down all the way, rather than letting it close from me pushing it one time.

·
Registered
2010 X-Premium M/T
91 Posts
Interesting comments about the lack of sound deadening in the Forester. I'm coming to the Forester from a 2005 Odyssey, and have to say that I cannot perceive a significant difference in noise levels between the two. (For comparison, my '99 Miata is ALOT louder, and my wife's '09 Accord is a fair amount quieter, so I do have a couple points of reference!) I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that most vehicles that have an "open interior" design like the Forester and the Odyssey just naturally transmit more road noise to the cabin. Personally, I'm glad the Forester is as light and agile as it is, although I'm looking forward to modding the suspension at some point to reduce roll and drop the c.g. a bit! Finding reasonably priced aftermarket dampers that do a bit more dampening would be a nice change too ... !

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,253 Posts
When the dealer was showing us the new forester and the salesman was telling us about the new features, he said to close the hatch by pushing on the subaru emblem in the center. After we started doing it this way, no more hatch close issues.

·
Registered
09 Forester X Limited
24 Posts
I have about 6900 miles on mine and getting about 22 mpg w/ mixed highway and city driving.... more city than highway I would say. Had to take her back to the dealer for condensation in both tail light; which they replaced and have been fine ever since. I also had an issue with the rear passenger window not closing smoothly. Dealer took care of that too.

Oh and recently I've had a rattle develop that sounds like it's coming from the rear roof liner or moon roof? Anyone have this ratte ... quite annoying but at least its intermittent.

But Overall, I've been very happy with my first Subaru.... Seems like they are everywhere in the Westchester area.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
34 Posts
2 years next month; 12,000 miles

Other than two oil changes, hasn't seen the inside of a dealer. No rattles, nothing loose, nothing falling off--just spent about 3 hours detailing it a couple of weeks ago and it looks and runs like brand new.

Then it got hit by ping pong ball sized hail and a 9" tree limb landed on the roof. $5300 of body work later, it really looks like new.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts