Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I'd say hello! We picked up our 2019 Forester Sport today. It's our family car, but day-to-day will mostly be driven by my wife. We were going to get the Limited, but she saw the Sport in white and I could tell she really loved it because she kept mentioning it and kept going out to look at it. She never gets anything for herself, so I convinced her we should just throw practicality to the wind a little and just get it based on looks instead of the Limited which had the features we wanted. My 12-year-old son and I took the Amtrak Vermonter up to CT from NY to pick it up and had a great day!

This is our fourth Subaru, but our first in about 14 years. Our first one was a 2003 XS fully loaded that we bought new, maintained it meticulously, and kept for many years. My stepson inherited it when he left for college and it lasted him until about 160K miles when it finally blew its seals and he traded it in for a Kia. I had an Impreza Outback Sport and a Saab 9-2X (which was a lot of fun), but we've mostly been a Jeep family for the last decade or so. We decided to buy the family car this time instead of lease, so another Grand Cherokee was kind of out of the question.

I'm surprised I'm saying this, but after a 150 mile trip back home, I think I've fallen in love with Subarus again. Two days ago I saw my first white Sport at a computer store and I asked the guy getting into it how he liked it. "I LOVE IT!" Told him I was picking one up on Saturday - a white Sport - and he acted surprised "where did you find one?" They're pretty rare in our area. His was the first I had seen "in the wild."

First impressions - every time I get in it, I keep forgetting HOW MUCH GLASS there is. If I look to my left, the door window is just gigantic! Visibility is SO awesome! The steering is perfect - so precise without needing microcorrections. Bumps are soaked up nicely, although road imperfections are a bit more noticeable than with the GC. The Harmon Kardon stereo is pretty damn awesome too. I was a bit concerned after reading some reviews, but I love it. Android Auto was great, but a little glitchy and slightly irritating at times (might be user error - this is my first car with it). I also have to get used to the cruise control settings and maybe read up on it. Seats are very comfortable (this has been an issue for me in many cars). About a three hour drive, I was fine. Hopefully a six-to-eight hour drive will be fine too as we go to NH every summer.

The fact that there's no place to put a bigger phone (OnePlus 6T) when plugging in AA is an annoyance. I ended up using the cupholder. I also fail to understand how some manufacturers can't seem to put two-memory seat/mirror settings on all of their cars instead of just the highest end models. That's kind of a safety thing, isn't it? Making sure the car is properly set up for each driver?

Power is great. This was another thing I was worried about going from an almost 300hp, 260ft/lbs vehicle to 182/176 (of course, the Forester does weigh 1000 lbs less than the GC). I'm not really pushing it for the first 1000 miles, but the Sport Sharp mode I can tell already is going to be a lot of fun. And the CVT? Another thing I said I'd never own. But it's totally fine. It droned just a bit driving up a long, steep highway on-ramp, but other than that, I would barely notice it's a CVT. They've come a long way.

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the LED headlights. Good, bright white headlights was something I have really missed since we left our Saabs and their Xenon headlamps a while back. We didn't spring for the higher packages in any of our Jeeps, so we had standard halogens, which I always replaced with SilverStars or equivalent which helped, but wasn't ideal. It's SO nice to really be able to see the road clearly again! Our roads here in NYC metro area are terrible, and often the markings are old and worn. On a rainy night with streetlight glare and trucks kicking up a mist, it's pretty much a nightmare. These lights should definitely help.

We stopped on the way home for a bite to eat, and when we got back in the car it was dark. We both were pretty awed by the stunning multiple starfield screens when we started up the car again. Such a nice touch.

So that's just some "fresh" thoughts after being away from the brand for over a decade. Looking forward to reading up on some of the "mods." I know I already want to get the hood struts. Maybe LED footwell lighting as well. Looking forward to owning this car for a good long time! Thinking about the extended warranty, but not sure I'm gonna opt for it yet.

Cheers!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Congrats, We got our white Sport in January. Your take is right in line with ours. Still love it like the day we bought it. Enjoy, it just keeps getting better.

I have a Samsung S10e and ran a USB cable from console cubby to dash cubby under the center console and let it hang out over the driver cupholder. Works perfect. and no loose cables.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congratulations on your new Subaru. We went with White non-sport. I also think the Forester looks great in white. My wife struggles with the phone storage. It would have been great if they put in a mounting bracket so you could use the phone as an extra input method. I may get her a cup holder phone holder.

As I type this, I realize we should take a moment to think how lucky we are. We are frustrated about the placement of our phones that interact with our vehicles to control GPS and countless other functions. Five years ago, I complained about not having automatic headlights and excited to have Bluetooth.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congratulations, I just picked up my 2019 Forester Premium in Dark grey metallic on Friday. It replaces my 2011 Forester. Lots of changes in 8 years. The auto stop/start thing feels weird, but other than that it’s nice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congratulations on your new Subaru. We went with White non-sport. I also think the Forester looks great in white. My wife struggles with the phone storage. It would have been great if they put in a mounting bracket so you could use the phone as an extra input method. I may get her a cup holder phone holder.
That's a great idea. I did see someone else had routed a cable and put a little pocket next to the driver's seat. I just need to find it now. The forum changed and I seem to have lost all my previous bookmarks (including the one for the 2019 Forester hood strut - which I can't seem to locate anymore).

I might just do what @Peja suggest and just route a cable to the cupholder. :)

As I type this, I realize we should take a moment to think how lucky we are. We are frustrated about the placement of our phones that interact with our vehicles to control GPS and countless other functions. Five years ago, I complained about not having automatic headlights and excited to have Bluetooth.
SO true! My daily driver is a 2012 Wrangler and I don't even have bluetooth in it. Still using the USB-C to 1/8" AUX-IN. :D No power seats either (although I finally did install Mopar seat heaters and Katzkin leather two years ago because the grey cloth was getting tired). Which reminds me - I picked up a couple cans of ScotchGuard on the way home yesterday and need to do the Subaru seats this weekend. Hope it helps the cloth hold up! Been a long time since we had a car with cloth seats, but these look pretty rugged.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations, I just picked up my 2019 Forester Premium in Dark grey metallic on Friday. It replaces my 2011 Forester. Lots of changes in 8 years. The auto stop/start thing feels weird, but other than that it’s nice.
Congrats!

Yeah, we also had the auto stop/start in our Grand Cherokee and it's the first button I press after the "Start" button lol. The Subaru actually seems to take a fraction of a second longer to start back up than the Jeep, and it definitely isn't as smooth when re-starting. There's a bit of a shudder that goes through the car. Not a fan of this tech.

I've read other reports on this forum that the fuel savings is negligible. I'm all about reducing CO2 emissions (I offset all our household kWh with wind credits), but I think this tech is sometimes unsafe - like when you're in an intersection waiting to make a left turn and traffic is going straight. I want to be able to jump left when the opportunity presents itself, but since the car is "off," I have to account for the extra time. I guess that's not supposed to be a bad thing now that I think about it. Calm down, right?

Could also be because when I was in my 20's I drove a lot of crap cars, and a couple of them would sometimes stall at the worst times. I think if you ever experienced that you never lose the unease that comes with your car shutting off at an intersection? :O

·
Registered
5 Posts
We're about one month into ownership of our outstanding Forester Sport (silver), couldn't be happier!

w.r.t. the auto start, for some reason, it doesn't shut off when I stop at lights, etc, but does for my wife, nearly always. It has to be sensitive to your braking pressure; I use a very soft pressure and stop gradually, my wife is much more abrupt.

So, try easing to stops more gradually, and when stopped, being more gentle on the brake, if you master this then you aren't bothered by this silly auto-start/stop thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Owner of white sport my self. I'm on constant lookout for another white sport in downtown Los Angeles but have not seen one yet. I dunno if it's true but I was told by the dealer that white ones are rare. They had other colors in stock but I had to wait 3 weeks for the white one which I did. Best decision I ever made waiting for white. I get many "Heineken" nods from old and new forester drivers in 101 freeway during rush hours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've read other reports on this forum that the fuel savings is negligible. I'm all about reducing CO2 emissions (I offset all our household kWh with wind credits), but I think this tech is sometimes unsafe - like when you're in an intersection waiting to make a left turn and traffic is going straight. I want to be able to jump left when the opportunity presents itself, but since the car is "off," I have to account for the extra time. I guess that's not supposed to be a bad thing now that I think about it. Calm down, right?
When you have a need jump out for a left turn or other reasons, just let up on the brake (not enough for the car to roll) and then press the brake again. The engine will re-start when you let up on the brake and if the car does not roll forward at all, the engine remains running. You will then be ready to rapidly move forward.

·
Registered
402 Posts
When you have a need jump out for a left turn or other reasons, just let up on the brake (not enough for the car to roll) and then press the brake again. The engine will re-start when you let up on the brake and if the car does not roll forward at all, the engine remains running. You will then be ready to rapidly move forward.
You can also turn the steering wheel left or right just enough to put pressure on the wheels without the wheels actually turning and the engine will start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
Peja
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing