Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I just put about a grand into the car for my 150K check-up, I thought I would just for fun check out what the thing is worth.....about $2,500 according to the Canadian Black Book....:shake:

Hopefully I won't have any other major repairs, because my rule of thumb has always been "once the repairs for one year cost more than the value of the car, junk it."

To add insult to injury, my A/C just failed....

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
Bummer, sorry to hear it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
Book value is meaningless except for trade-in, as that is what the dealer is going to low ball you with. Only true way to know what it is worth is to look at a few sales add on say craigslist/autotrader.......

In my area '00-'03 are still selling for $3500-5000.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
What did you do for $1000?

I just hit 150k miles and am going in for an oil change and trans flush. Probably helps that I put in a "new" engine that now has 50k miles on it so I don't have coolant flush, etc, and just upgraded brakes, so no need for new fluid. Also helps that I trade legal work for mechanical work so I don't pay for labor (much).

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
I stopped checking NADA, Kelly BB, etc. on our Foz. Its just plain criminal for such a great vehicle to lose value so quickly:icon_frown: Makes me very sad
Heh, the worst part is that should you actually go looking for a good used Foz you will find that the dealers charge way way way way above of what the "books" value the car at. Stupid.... :chair:

I have been searching for a good used Foz or Impreza in 3-4K range for a long time now (want a second car to be Subaru, need to get rid of the T-Bird) in NJ/PA area and nothing even comes close, saw a few at 4k about 100 miles out, I do not think I have time to travel now. Maybe need to start going to auctions or something...

My 2001 S runs and looks great, so I am going to stick with her.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did you do for $1000?

I just hit 150k miles and am going in for an oil change and trans flush. Probably helps that I put in a "new" engine that now has 50k miles on it so I don't have coolant flush, etc, and just upgraded brakes, so no need for new fluid. Also helps that I trade legal work for mechanical work so I don't pay for labor (much).
Oil Change
Transmission flush
Timing Belt
Water Pump
A/C Fill up (which in retrospect was kind of silly, wasn't it?)

On a good note, my mechanic found a used AC Compressor with only 40,000 km on it for $90.00. It'll make it worth fixing it anyway. Just means that in my head I have to drive for 2 years repair free (not maintenance free) to make it worthwhile. In reality that shouldn't be a problem, since all I've ever had is maintenance issues like brakes, plugs etc., and never a "real" repair issue.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited
91 Posts
On the A/C, you should recharge every 5-10 years regardless of mileage (basically as soon as the A/C starts getting noticeably less cold), not wait until it doesn't work anymore.

A refrigerator doesn't leak it's refrigerant (unless it's rusted out) because it uses an entirely metal system. In a car where the A/C is belt-driven, they have to use rubber hoses between the evaporator and compressor because the engine flexes around. The refrigerant actually seeps through the microscopic pores in the rubber over time. Once pressure is reduced enough, the compressor will work harder and wear itself out much faster, and with less refrigerant in the system eventually the rubber joints/gaskets will dry out and crack (and not hold any pressure if you do recharge it). The lower pressure can also let moisture in, which can rust out the compressor.

This is also another reason to run the A/C periodically (even in winter, run it with higher temperature setting with the defrost) to keep everything circulating and avoid gaskets drying out and the compressor freezing in place.

I went through something similar to what you did with an old 1992 Ford Exploder (misspelling intended, it had so many problems it should have been returned under the lemon law by the first owner). I didn't do anything to the A/C for months after it stopped working, then had various parts replaced twice, and it still wouldn't hold refrigerant more than 3-4 weeks. That was a money hole.

The A/C in my current vehicle was getting much less cold and taking longer to cool down (8 years since last serviced). I thought it might be a goner but I had it tested and recharged, and it's been holding strong for a couple months.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
56 Posts
How much did the timing belt run you? Just bought a 01 forester with 144k on it and im wondering if i should do it or wait a little longer.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
I've found that over many years, those cars I've owned and had maintained regularly (excepting a 1974 Volvo wagon) were worth the cost of maintenance when viewing the costs of ownership on a per year basis. I've a half dozen vehicles that were upwards of 250,000 miles, when traded off (and even then they weren't loosing parts going down the road).
-Quick

Well, since I just put about a grand into the car for my 150K check-up, I thought I would just for fun check out what the thing is worth.....about $2,500 according to the Canadian Black Book....:shake:

Hopefully I won't have any other major repairs, because my rule of thumb has always been "once the repairs for one year cost more than the value of the car, junk it."

To add insult to injury, my A/C just failed....

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much did the timing belt run you? Just bought a 01 forester with 144k on it and im wondering if i should do it or wait a little longer.
The timing belt was the majority of the cost, due to the fact the water pump should be done at the same time.

·
Registered
2000 SF5 JDM S/TB 5MT
270 Posts
we have pick a part here... you can get ac pumps for about 30 bux, you just have to pull them out of the car yourself. have seen people leave pick a part with engines, gboxes... everything.

plus the value of soobies holds here. a 2003 sti imprexa will still set you back 28k, a o5 sti forester just a shade over 30.

most of the old foresters are still fetching around the 10k mark, with 200k on the clock, thrashed to within inches of its life, held together by rust.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
quick, lets ship all of our old Subies to New Zealand and profit. I need an excuse for a vacation anyway. If I travel in the Subie on the way down it will be like a cruise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts