Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pics & video from last weekend's autox event held locally in Ottawa. This was my first autox of the season, first time with moar power, first time with the 07 STI steering rack and first time running on R888's (235/40/17). I did ok, not great but not lousy either so for a first event not bad. I had the fastest Subaru in my class but there were only 2 and the other guy is a newb so that wasn't hard. Overall 11th out of 18 in my class with a mix of S2000's , Miata's etc.

The big test for me was the STI steering rack. Last couple of years I always felt I had to hand over hand in quite a few turns including the slalom which always drove me nuts. This time I didn't really notice any steering issues which is a good thing, that means its where it should be and no longer an issue. A very good mod for the money that goes unoticed daily driving.

Not loving the R888's, while they are used they have nowhere near as much grip as last year's V710's and they slide around everywhere. Guys say I have to get used to how to drive them. I suppose I will but next season I"ll have a new set of V710's regardless.

Overall an excellent day, I had fun, it was hot 'n sunny and the pretty girls were out in full force. How does one complain about that ? Now to the pics & HD videos, the one to watch in the video is the 07 STI, light grey. That's a good friend and wicked driver. He pulled FTD from the start and just got better every run. He was about 7 seconds faster than me, both he and the car worked very well.

Me on the left

All the girls wanted to ride. Forester got them curious and they wanted to try it at least once...

·
Registered
05 XTi FMIC
2,564 Posts
They let your son ride along? Our club wont and i wish they would. Nice vids/Pics.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
nice vids/pics!!! looked like a nice open course that flowed well. i love the announcer's enthusiam too. ive been neglecting my thread, i have an event 2morrow, so ill get to update it then. im also glad to hear about the sti rack making improvements... i dont feel like the oem rack is a major hinderence, but im sure the sti rack is leaps and bounds better and more precise. i just have become acustomed to the stocker, ill eventually get my hands on one! as for the r888s they arent good auto-x tires, they dont generate enough heat in them on an auto-x course - for a track they are good though...

how do you compare spool up and the new found power to compared to the stocker?

no ride alongs in ny/nj either, scca insurance prohibits it. only designated instructors, thats not to say a few dont slip thru the cracks but i wouldnt risk screwing up a good thing!

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, two more weeks 'til our night autox. Looked fun.
Night one huh ? Never done that before.

They let your son ride along? Our club wont and i wish they would. Nice vids/Pics.
Not my little guy, he's still only 15 months. One of my friends showed up and his little munchin came for a ride along. I think the cutoff age is 12-13.

nice vids/pics!!! looked like a nice open course that flowed well. i love the announcer's enthusiam too. ive been neglecting my thread, i have an event 2morrow, so ill get to update it then. im also glad to hear about the sti rack making improvements... i dont feel like the oem rack is a major hinderence, but im sure the sti rack is leaps and bounds better and more precise. i just have become acustomed to the stocker, ill eventually get my hands on one! as for the r888s they arent good auto-x tires, they dont generate enough heat in them on an auto-x course - for a track they are good though...

how do you compare spool up and the new found power to compared to the stocker?

no ride alongs in ny/nj either, scca insurance prohibits it. only designated instructors, thats not to say a few dont slip thru the cracks but i wouldnt risk screwing up a good thing!
So long as you sign the waiver to come onto the facility ride alongs aren't an issue. I give a fair bit of them to newbs who want to see what to do before they run. There's two parts to the spool up, one is the VF48 and the other is the tune. The TD04 was very peaky from the factory, nothing nothing nothing BANG then shift. Makes for crappy driving. I had the tune made to be very linear, you almost don't feel boost coming on its so smooth. That said the power delivery is there from low RPMS all the way up, feels like I have 50% more power. Its a whole new car easily.

R888's are alright for autox but yes they don't heat up quickly like a V710 or Hoosier. But they have a very stiff sidewall which helps. Unless Toyo brings the GGG compound here I won't buy another set, I just like the V710 level of grip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts