Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1164 Posts

·
Administrator
15,410 Posts
Yes, I agree the ramifications are terrible but probably better than being dead ;-)
BTW UK mortality rate is also 21 times Australia. Interesting details here: Coronavirus Update (Live): 58,442,885 Cases and 1,385,447 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer
This thread is going to be dead on the first saturday night the pubs open !
Let's hope it's soon for you; we just have to get used to living with the bug until vaccination. I and a friend went to the pub for lunch during the week; numbers are limited to 4 square metres / person.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,756 Posts
Indeed, but that was my point. People are dieing from other things as well and because it isn't "sexy" it isn't being reported on. Suicides, untreated cancer etc......... Some would say death is better than liviing in agony and relying on pain killers to be able to get up in the morning.....

Each nation seems to have their own way of presenting the stats. There is a key difference between dieing of Covid and dieing while having covid and dieing and suspected but not confirmed having Covid..........France at one point wasn't counting deaths due to Covid, if it occurred in a care home !

Generally population density of Australia outside of the cities is pretty low and not even slightly comparable to "rural" parts of other nations. I reckon America might just pip Aus on the population density outside of the cities though - So @DragonSubie7 is probably the safest one out of all of us..........Until he goes to town to buy food.

I'm curious how this vaccine is going to work......Especially when it usually takes years for side effects to be tested and realised. Who knows what this vaccine will bring to the table 5 or 10 years down the line......... Anyone seen 28 days later, 28 weeks later or the walking dead or even Contagion? ;)

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
804 Posts
@TMX When you read the "conspiracy theories" that go around - but stick to the more "believable" ones, they suggest the vaccine will involve mass sterilisations, reduced life etc etc.. one argument I'd have against that, is the majority of vaccines will be given to elderly (which more often than not, aren't too bothered about multiplying), and they're currently living rather enclosed withdrawn lives due to the virus and without being too depressing are not often facing longevity... So they have a choice, risk dying from the virus, or risk being sterile and potentially dying from a vaccine in 5-10 years...

Obviously doesn't seem like much of a choice.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,756 Posts
@Ianb1234 Oh wow, I haven't heard of those conspiracy theories. I was simply pondering what the side effects might be of any vaccine. Most medicines have side effects risks but they take years of testing before being authorised for treatment and the patient is generally made aware of the more likely risks when being prescribed.

If the pharmaceutical companies are given limited liability conditions, so patients can't come back in 5 years saying the medicine made them sick etc, then that's a problem and unfortunately not uncommon, at least in the UK with medicines in the 1970's and 1980's where government investigations and reviews into the medicines was quashed and forgotten about until only recently when it's come out side effects that some patients suffered. I can't help but wonder if this will happen again and only any side effects be made known publicly in decades to come.........

As long as vaccination is a choice and not mandatory, people should have the ability to choose to take it without consequences on their finances or liberties if they decline.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,198 Posts
Indeed, but that was my point. People are dieing from other things as well and because it isn't "sexy" it isn't being reported on. Suicides, untreated cancer etc......... Some would say death is better than liviing in agony and relying on pain killers to be able to get up in the morning.....

Each nation seems to have their own way of presenting the stats. There is a key difference between dieing of Covid and dieing while having covid and dieing and suspected but not confirmed having Covid..........France at one point wasn't counting deaths due to Covid, if it occurred in a care home !

Generally population density of Australia outside of the cities is pretty low and not even slightly comparable to "rural" parts of other nations. I reckon America might just pip Aus on the population density outside of the cities though - So @DragonSubie7 is probably the safest one out of all of us..........Until he goes to town to buy food.

I'm curious how this vaccine is going to work......Especially when it usually takes years for side effects to be tested and realised. Who knows what this vaccine will bring to the table 5 or 10 years down the line......... Anyone seen 28 days later, 28 weeks later or the walking dead or even Contagion? ;)
Watched Contagion last night and it mentions very similar things that we are all hearing now such as R rates , touching surfaces and fake cures e.ct.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
804 Posts
I do enjoy a good zombie series/movie.

I've got to say that the walking dead is really slow for me now, but it got it's teeth into me in the earlier seasons, so I'm somewhat hooked now.

Quite enjoying fear the walking dead now though.

Although they all seem somewhat easier to deal with than the 28 days later lot! Yeeesh, running ones!

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,756 Posts
Watched Contagion last night and it mentions very similar things that we are all hearing now such as R rates , touching surfaces and fake cures e.ct.
I watched that last night too - Good film and a few parallels to what is going on now. No soldiers on the streets closing borders or looting or runs on banks........Yet

Not sure I would recommend the film for anyone with a nervous disposition on this Covid situation though

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,932 Posts
@DragonSubie7

So in other words "I'm alright jack"... 🙄

You say the worst hit places are the ones with the most stringent rules.... Ummm... Isn't that one of those ridiculous stats like "most shark attacks occur in waist deep water"... They're hardly going to lock people down or instigate rules in places with no cases, given the vast size of the US.
As a matter of fact I am, Jack.
Why should I be overly concerned about getting a virus that doesn't exist where I live? (It's intended to be a rhetorical question)

The worst places/stringent rules might lead one to think that the recommended "remedies" are not all that effective.

Why should local business be shut down because a major city hundreds of miles away has a lot of covid cases?
They shouldn't and fortunately for me they are not. In my state it is up to the local municipalities to asses their risk and implement measures as they see fit.

As far as the warzones you mention that aren't worth repeating, unlike you, I'm not responsible for the entire country's policies, politics and health state.
Thousands of people with a virus they don't even know they have is hardly a war zone in any case.

The people who die from corona in the majority cases have pre-existing conditions, and most don't even get symptoms.
Maybe it would make more sense to protect those at risk rather than destroying the entire world economy which will affect just about everyone.
The lockdowns are not without consequences as @TMX has eloquently mentioned above.

Unfortunately total economic shutdowns and lockdowns where absolutely necessary, should be applied based on local conditions, but in many cases are not.

As far as the "deadly" nature of the virus, even based on the number of deaths vs. confirmed cases, the fatality rate is low.
The actual rate cannot be calculated because in the vast majority of cases, "infected" people only find out they have it because they are tested.
There may be ten or a hundred times that number who should comprise the denominator in that equation which is likely to be a small fraction of a single percent.

I have friends in other states who have had the "killer" virus; most never knew, some had very mild symptoms, one had what he reported as a bad flu, but no one needed hospitalization or even a visit to the doctor. So I really don't care if I get the virus, as I don't fit the profile for those who are likely to be severely affected.

Regardless, lets mandate that everyone stay home and shut down everything until every single person feels they are absolutely safe, even though the act of staying home is inflicting horrendous economic damage from which many individuals and businesses will never recover.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
804 Posts
@DragonSubie7

Perhaps your issue is that like your typical over the pond brethren, you can't seem to grasp the rest of the world isn't the same as the US for multiple of reasons.

In fact, I'm surprised someone like yourself who has lived in the UK is as buried head as you are.

You mention cities hundreds of miles away in the US.. it's not comparable... I live in a city, the city to the west is about 50 odd miles away in Cornwall, the city to the East is also about 50miles away.. still heading east and we have another large town 30 odd miles away, 50 miles away from that is a city called Bristol, arguably a massive arterial pivot point to the Southwest, 12 miles from Bristol is Bath, another city so on so forth. Point being, it's 5:30pm, if I so desired, I could drive to the Scottish border right now, and be there by midnight. You question why we have a countrywide lockdown, there is your answer, the ability to travel the length of the country in a handful of hours...

Is it a sledgehammer to break a walnut? I'm not sure, but you seem to ignore the goings on in El Paso where they have inmates working in morgues and overflowing hospitals... Only the elderly and infirm are dying you say... So that's ok then? If you say the old lot should die out quickly and efficiently from a virus because they're old and sick then I guess it gives an insight into your mindset... It'll reduce the pension issues I suppose, it'll be a shame however to lose a lot of lovely people.

I'm not sure I ever said the virus was overly deadly did I? From my understanding it's not, the issue is the overwhelming factor of the virus. It will overwhelm medical staff, medical capabilities and causes greater numbers of deaths in those with survivable illnesses or injuries. We already hear of medical staff suffering and dying potentially due to viral load....

But as you already alluded to, as long as you can go to the shop without a mask and you're alright, then it's not a big issue at all.

·
Registered
MY04 FSti MT6
500 Posts
Why should local business be shut down because a major city hundreds of miles away has a lot of covid cases?
They shouldn't and fortunately for me they are not. In my state it is up to the local municipalities to asses their risk and implement measures as they see fit.
That makes a lot of sense IMHO. Although we may be in different situations infection wise in different areas, economically we're much more "all in it together" as citizens of a nation. If it's possible to keep local economies thriving in little-affected areas then it should be done as it benefits everyone.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
813 Posts
@DragonSubie7
Perhaps your issue is that like your typical over the pond brethren, you can't seem to grasp the rest of the world isn't the same as the US for multiple of reasons.
Just because @DragonSubie7 is outspoken about what he believes to be true, that doesn’t make him representative of the typical US citizen, and certainly not me. I won’t say anymore on the topic.

·
Administrator
15,410 Posts
No soldiers on the streets closing borders
We did! The borders between most states and territories were closed at some point. Western Australia is still closed and Sydney district residents are not allowed into Queensland.

We had instances of truck drivers spreading it and causing major clusters.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,198 Posts
In other news Lewis Hamilton lost his legal battle against Hamilton time pieces for using his name (YAY) although they were using the the name before he was born .... Elvis Presley had one .
Also in other news Lewes Hamilton will take the knee again at Buckingham palace when he gets knighted , bet his Mum is proud.

·
Registered
MY04 FSti MT6
500 Posts
In other news Lewis Hamilton lost his legal battle against Hamilton time pieces for using his name (YAY) although they were using the the name before he was born .... Elvis Presley had one .
So do I! - left to me by my late father. Not exactly beautiful but keeps time amazingly well for a mechanical device. Not suprised he lost the battle, you'd have thought they'd have learned from the Kylie Jenner thing.

1101 - 1120 of 1164 Posts