Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1164 Posts

·
Administrator
15,410 Posts
New look pop up has gotten old real quick ! Make it stop please @Kevin
If you mean the new "card view" there's nothing I can do about it since our powers were reduced. However, you can revert to the old "comfort" view by clicking the 3 vertical dots, select "view mode" and change it to Comfort view.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,082 (Edited)
So after Boris' announcement today about the government banning the sales of new internal combustion powered cars from 2030, our Foresters are only going to rise in value if in good condition surely !?
I really hope our cars appreciate in value as they age gracefully as I do.
Every car previously I've had before taking the step to Subarus (mainly VW's) have been worthless when I've come to part with them. This could be due to being a bit of a hoonigan in my earlier years though.

On a similar subject. I'd love to see a Foz that's been converted to an EV. There's a company in Wales that converts classic cars to EV's with Tesla motors and the H** something motor that I'd love to be able to let them get their hands on mine.
It's so odd that the leap we're having in technological advances at present hasn't allowed more advance in solid state batteries so more milage can be had from EV's.

I must be going mad or through the change so to speak as I'm not able to swap out the petrol in my veins for electricity mind you. Am I going soft or just becoming a sheep?

Reactions: TMX

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,756 Posts
I do wonder if the government want to kill off the ICE engines, how will it work for Hydrogen Fuel Cell stuff ?

We aren't able to build enough power stations in the 10 years to deal with the massive extra draw EVs would cause. The planning permission stage takes 10 years or longer before a shovel touches dirt. Unless the gov will be changing the planning system for "Infrastructure that is in the national interest" Like HS2...........But they would need to be nuclear for the capacity and Greenpeace & Co will be out lobbying the government and Extinction Rebellion will create more chaos that the police will enable, to force the gov's hand and oppose nuclear power, which means rolling brown outs for years to come

Ah Progress !

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
804 Posts
@Kevin
Over here there were rumours of pay per mile, not sure exactly who said it's or what its chances are as I didn't really pay attention..

@TMX Unless the whole thing is an announcement that tomorrow's government can figure out.. at the risk of becoming political, it's v easy for politicians to bat about numbers and comments that sound very appealing and secure the elections to come - appease the masses... Perhaps the gravity and truth of the matter will come to light in time and there I'll be a bumbling back tracking comment whereby targets have been met as far as technological and logistical advances will allow...

I'm still wondering how they'll apply things like EV's to tradesmen (scaffold vans etc), HGV's etc? Unless the announcement was purely "cars".

Still wondering if imports would be affected 🤔

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,932 Posts
The "edicts" for elimination of a power source require no corresponding capability to enable their successful roll out.
That's someone else's problem, and is resolved by a "something magic happens here" box in a flowchart sometime in the future.

An electric vehicle's power source isn't the electricity it uses, that needs to be created to be stored to be used in a battery.
It's the same for a hydrogen car / fuel cell - It takes energy to free hydrogen, so hydrogen isn't a power source - It's just an energy transfer mechanism.

The basic problem is that alternative power for EV cars is not actually an alternative in the car, it is a car that needs an alternative to power it.

As @TMX pointed out, the ability to draw the trillions of BTU's to enable EVs to be on the road to replace the equivalent power currently provided by fossil fuels will require significant electricity generation on a massive scale and/or energy storage capability that would need many orders of magnitude improvement in capability and cost.
Good luck in getting a permit for a nuke plant or anything that uses fossil fuel.

Therefore any hope of not creating a failure on a massive scale relies on technology development and deployment capabilities that do not yet exist.

Assuming the intent of avoiding fuel burn is the reason for it, alternatives that would seem to apply are only renewable (wind/solar/geothermal/water turbine).
These are also site specific - Try generating solar on a cloudy day. One little cloud over the sun can easily reduce power by 90%.
Probably not going to work well where cloudy days can last for months.

Especially with renewable energy, these power sources are not scale-able. You can't increase solar output or make the wind blow because you need more power.
The other major issue is that as these energy sources are increasingly relied upon, the entire system is put at risk when demand increases and generation output falls.
This already happened in California this summer which has the most expensive electricity in the US.

Someone might want to mention that the Emperor's New Power Clothes are merely vapor, rather than a material made of silk so fine it cannot be seen...

As an alternative, would it not make more sense to develop the means before setting a date....

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,932 Posts
Long winded yes! , all you needed to have said is your last paragraph which for twice now makes total sense.
Well, we can't all be succinct now, can we.. Especially me.
;)
I assume an audience new to a topic and those "more advanced" (such as yourself) can skip to those bits which are perceived as salient.
Or to be succinct in my critique of your critique ,, Picky, Picky, Picky.
:cool:
Bottom line - Call the loonies out on their ridiculous edicts, or don't at your own peril.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,932 Posts
It's AMERICAN..
Perhaps you've heard of it?
:p
Is the concept of two countries separated by a common language a new concept?
Think Zed Zed Top.
Doesn't quite have the same ring when properly mispronounced...

BTW - How are you guys enjoying the recent "no anything ever" restrictions?
You guys likely need a vacation....
Just don't go to the Peoples Republic of California where going to a party out late is limited to the governor and hair appointments require client dinosaurs named Nancy...

Out here, great weather, nice roads, no traffic, motorcycle ride, trip to the shops, no frikin' masks required...

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
804 Posts
@DragonSubie7

All's pretty fine over here. We can do whatever we want as an individual family. Go out as many times a day without concern, wherever we want, (other than the individual countries of the isle). Only restrictions are certain businesses and shops that can't open.

I'll take this any day than that shambles you've got over there between those two old men! How's the prospect of civil war looking?

Well, civil war amongst those of you that aren't in the equivalent of 5.4 747's crashing every single day on US soil...but hey, least you don't have to wear a mask in a shop right...

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,756 Posts
@DragonSubie7 Pretty bold words considering what's going on over there
I wonder how this lockdown is being reported in international press. Lockdown is a strong term......... I'm able to go to work still, visit supermarkets, garden centres etc. I'm able to run the dog over her favourite spots.

The only inconvenience are the pubs are shut for entry, they are still able to sell take-away (Take out) drinks with a pack of crisps - Bit of a problem if you live in a city with an anti street-drinking orders in place but the country pubs are able to operate this way ok. Restaurants and nail salons/beauty stuff are also shut. Airports and flights are still running and even some hotels are still going. Take away restaraunts are still able to open.

PS. You Americans try to speak English, you know yourself it isn't called American - It's even called English classes in your schools :p

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,932 Posts
Glad to hear you guys are dealing with it.

How "things are" varies with location, which was my point.
The local 747s are ending up crashing on the Indian Reservation.
I don't live there.
Strangely, the worst locations appear to be where the most stringent measures have been taken...
Hmmmmm...

I guess the UK is in better shape than the continent, with some complete lockdowns.
Violent protests have been reported in Europe as well. People eventually reach a point where they won't take it anymore.

As far as a lockdown goes, it is unlikely to happen.
For the moment, the US is a constitutional republic, where health related issues are not in the federal domain of control.

Civil war?
I think that has been going on for quite some time in some locations, which may account for the mass migrations underway from local totalitarian regimes...

As far as the totals, corona death victims are grossly over reported and the number of infections are under reported.
The initial 3% fatality rate estimate has been downgraded to be less than 1%, and could be far less since most people don't even have symptoms.
Most hospital beds in Arizona ICU rooms aren't corona patients. About a third are.
A cause for concern, yes, but stopping everything will cause a global depression we are all very likely to experience as a result.

When the cure is worse than the disease perhaps a new tack might be in order.

Where I live there isn't any virus, and early on we had one case without hospitalization, so obviously I should live in fear, but I don't.
There are also no mandates locally, only recommendations, and although not true throughout the state, everywhere I go it's up to the individual.

For preventive measures, apparently the ruling class don't need to abide by the requirements imposed on everyone else.
If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

As to language, what is spoken here is called English, but that doesn't mean spell check here agrees with the UK version.
;)

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
804 Posts
@DragonSubie7

So in other words "I'm alright jack"... 🙄

You say the worst hit places are the ones with the most stringent rules.... Ummm... Isn't that one of those ridiculous stats like "most shark attacks occur in waist deep water"... They're hardly going to lock people down or instigate rules in places with no cases, given the vast size of the US.

You seem to suggest it's all going well, by all accounts El Paso is a warzone with the virus...... And as far as I've heard Portland still is a warzone.. but it's fine, it's probably not in your backyard eh...

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,756 Posts
21 times higher than Australia from Covid perhaps but what about suicide and cancer treatments? How about elective surgery waiting lists? There's people living in agony, surviving only by pain killers waiting for joint replacements that will have months, if not years added to their suffering...... All of this has ground to a halt under lockdowns, in the UK at least.

Rather oddly with this Covid 19 business going on, people dieing from normal winter flu is through the floor.............

The economical damage will still be getting paid off by people not even born yet..........Unless there's going to be some kind global reset for currencies and just forget about the huge debts some nations are in.

Unfortunately when there is a change in administration in the US, I can see lockdowns being implemented on at least state-wide levels, forcing rural and cities equally to lockdown, even when some regions within those states might be unaffected by Covid. The equivalent of a UK lockdown to help the North of the UK when places like Cornwall have very low to no covid cases but still equally financially ruined. This is why I'm a fan of Boris letting each country, England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Irish governments make their own lockdown policies and even letting the northern regions make their own decisions, so the local problem is solved by a local solution :)

I agree with the @DragonSubie7 on changing tack, as the measures taken to contain the virus are causing damage in ways the media aren't reporting/aren't interested in reporting and those calling for lockdowns seem blissfully unaware....... Or taking the I'm alright Jack, I work from home, bugger everyone else who might not be able to / are made redundant :(

This thread is going to be dead on the first saturday night the pubs open !

1081 - 1100 of 1164 Posts