Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are curious as to whether or not it is worth upgrading to the above noted products, my advice is to GO for this upgrade!!

After speaking back and forth for almost a week with Dan Stern, he suggested the above bulbs (as well as some others) to upgrade the lighting in my 07 XT Sport. I installed these bulbs about a week ago, and it took me a little over an hour, as the HIR's mounting tabs needed to be "messaged" by my Dremel flexkit to get them to fit in the stock bulb mounts correctly.

Bear in mind, the +90's put out much more usuable lumens, but at the cost of decreased life expectancy (especially with the DRL's). That being said, the +90's do a VERY good job of illuminating the road, and have a slightly higher Kelvin temp color (I'd guess soemwhere around 3900~4000k) that light up signage MUCH better! The HIR's are nothing short of phenominal at the amount of usable light they throw, and the fact that they are using no more wattage than the factory 9005's is a bonus! They also have a slightly elevated Kelvin color (3900~4000k or thereabouts). Also, as I have my primaries aimed correctly, I don't piss off other drivers with the increased output of my headlights. As it is, I think Subaru did a pretty admirable job with the factory light housings/reflectors anyway- nice throw, witha sharp cutoff with the primaries.

I live in Central MA, where streetlights at times are few and far between and these bulbs have been a Godsend, especially during inclement weather! I previously owned a SVT Focus with the EAP that came with HID's, and these bulbs (IMHO), are about as close to that arrangement as I will get!

If you have ANY qualms about dealing with Daniel Stern, don't. I did have some reservations, but, he sends you links with more info than you will EVER need concerning OEM/Aftermarket bulbs/lights/housings and answers ALL your questions promptly. BTW, the price for these bulbs, shipped to my place was a little under 90$...A bargain, especially if the +90's last awhile!

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
I use the Philips X-treme Power +80 HIRs and they are sure nice to light up the signs. I really need to polish the headlight plastic though :\ The haze is killing it's full potential. And I probably should disco my DRLs too.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meguiars

Neoshi: Just grab a container of Meguiar's Plast-X...I think it was 8$ or so at Advanced Auto...works well for all clear plastics!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Bear in mind, the +90's put out much more usable lumens, but at the cost of decreased life expectancy (especially with the DRL's). That being said, the +90's do a VERY good job of illuminating the road, and have a slightly higher Kelvin temp color (I'd guess somewhere around 3900~4000k) that light up signage MUCH better!
I agree about the nightbreakers but the life expectancy is very short in my opinion. I had these on the FOZ because at the time they were reasonable $$ and easy to install. After about 7 months in the FOZ 1 failed. Not bad but I do not drive a lot in the evening hours. Maybe I put about 36 hours in total on the bulbs, for me that's way too low of hours of usage. They did throw some nice light though. Just purchased the Sylvania Silverstars, now made in H11, at least I am guaranteed to get 1 year out of them.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Neoshi: Just grab a container of Meguiar's Plast-X...I think it was 8$ or so at Advanced Auto...works well for all clear plastics!
Yeup, the only thing is you need to be careful when doing this because our UV coating will essentially become scratched by the polish and the haze will still exist unless it is really sanded down well.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear ya...

Hot09XT- I actually had Silverstars that I was going to install until I spoke with D. Stern- he told me they don't even throw the same lumens as a stock bulb and to just go with ANYTHING but those.

Neoshi- I just hand polished them- I found a long time ago that doing anything more than that would do more harm than good on most headlight assemblies...

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,122 Posts
I have a few questions if anyone has a moment.
Where can one purchase these lights?

Will they work in a 2010 with the same trimming?

Can you really disable DRL's and if so, is it better for the bulbs?

Who is David Stern?

Thanks for anyone to answer any of these. I almost made the mistake of getting Silverstars again and I don't want to do that!

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
I have a few questions if anyone has a moment.
Where can one purchase these lights?

Will they work in a 2010 with the same trimming?

Can you really disable DRL's and if so, is it better for the bulbs?

Who is David Stern?

Thanks for anyone to answer any of these. I almost made the mistake of getting Silverstars again and I don't want to do that!
DRL-disable is possible on the '09 - since I don't have a '10, I can't say, for sure, if it's the same:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/539228-post21.html

^ By dbtuned.

Is it better for the bulbs? Honestly an unknown.

As to who Daniel Stern is - that's addressed by colinsdad :icon_biggrin: , but also, to be simplistic (but accurate), he's a true lighting guru. :smile:

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,122 Posts
Thanks guys! for the reply. At least I got the D in Dan right! I just knew the Silverstars were crap when I had to keep buying them in my wife's car. I finally got her some PIAA's. The Silverstar bulbs aren't even good for light ouput! I would like a whiter light in my new XT though. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
Anyone have a link to these HIR bulbs ? Im getting a set of the Osram NB's for low beams but would like to replace the high beams with the equivalent upgrades too..

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
I would like a whiter light in my new XT though. Thanks again.
^ With the H9s, I don't really see it (read: my eyes don't see it) as being "whiter." It's just "more light," but the hue/color of the light is still decently yellow.

Maybe you'd be more happy with one of the slightly tinted (so as to shift the light towards the "white" part of the spectrum) bulbs, such as the NightBreakers.

Certainly, the HIRs are no "whiter." But they're so bright that, trust me, you won't notice. :biggrin:

---

Anyone have a link to these HIR bulbs ? Im getting a set of the Osram NB's for low beams but would like to replace the high beams with the equivalent upgrades too..
Candlepower.com is popular, as is the eBay store of MaxLumens (aka Finemotoring.com).

Locally, you can try your favorite John Deere dealer, but as of last I heard, many were no longer stocking HIRs.

·
Registered
2005 STi
12 Posts
Daniel Stern FTW! I've been putting his recommended bulbs into ever car I've owned for years and it's been worth every penny! The guy is a lighting super geek.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts