Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
641 - 660 of 1066 Posts

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
904 Posts
The whole top floor of Diver City is setup with Gundam stuff. There's a giant room with thousands of perfect grade models on display. I took a picture of a probably 21 foot x 7 foot poster of what seems like every Gundam ever.
For me the original is still the best. Got very confusing later on.

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #643 ·
JDM Land - Tokyo Redux - Bonus Modes Of Transportation - Part III

Godzilla Bus - Shinjuku

Pumpkin Jinrikisha - Shinjuku

Matursi Mikoshi - Asakusa

Bridal Jinrikisha - Asakusa

McDonald's Delivery Bike - Asakusa

Fire Truck - Minami-Asagaya

Star Wars ANA Boeing 787 - Narita

And that's the last of them.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
455 Posts
Just thought I'd give you a thumbs up on showing those SMD12 led boards mounted. This was the only thread/anything I could find on them actually fitting inside the lenses in the forester. Infact iirc the Diode Dynamics says they wont fit and they will have to be mounted externally.
And now my $292 order of LED's is off. (thank you 20% off code)
Ditto to what he said thanks for posting photos of the SMD12 board mounted in a dome light. I mounted the same dome assembly in my rear roof as a cargo light since my 2015 has a crappy tiny one that is worthless. I'm using a SMF6 w/festoon base and want more light, the SMD12 board should be better but it looks like a tight fit between it and the light cover. Is it glued/stuck up there or just sitting loose pinched between the festoon base and light cover? Thanks for any help :smile:

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 ·
So, i finally gave in and picked up a radiator from @SubaruPartsGirl.

As always Jackie was super helpful and quick to respond.

But, choosing to go with a performance radiator leaves me with a slew of questions. I've read some of the threads regarding installation of the Mishimoto and Koyorad radiators, but i'm still torn on a lot of things.

My biggest two questions right now are regarding the Transmission Cooler and a Radiator Cap.

So, starting with the transmission cooler, it seems like most members tend to go with B&M SuperCooler part #70255. I was also looking at the Mishimoto MMTC-U kit, but i don't really see any one using them in the threads i've been reading. Has anyone had any experience with the Mishimoto one? So far the most helpful thread/post has been @SuperRu's post here.

The radiator cap issue is also throwing me off. In 06-08, there's two caps i believe, one on the radiator and one on the expansion tank. I've read a number of threads that indicate that the two caps have different pressure ratings, but other members will chime in and disagree. @2.5x_sleeper mentioned that his two caps had different ratings, if i remember correctly. So, that being said, i've been warned against using the cap that came with the radiator, and i don't have a replacement one that i'm aware of. So, for a replacement, there are a ton of choices ranging greatly in price. I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more for a fancy looking one, but, what should the pressure rating on it be? Should it be the same as the cap on the expansion tank? Greater pressure? Lower pressure? I'm at a bit of a loss on this one. One thread there was debate on whether or not greater pressure would hurt the head gasket, so there's that. I don't have any real need for the pressure to be different than what the factory has it set to i suppose, but then, what's that?

Anyways, i'm not in a real rush for this project, especially since it's cold out. Hopefully my current radiator won't give up the ghost. But this is all preemptive anyways (hopefully).

·
Registered
1998 Impreza
359 Posts
The parts diagram I looked at showed it being on the radiator but it looks like it's the same one used on the header tank. There is another one that the wrx uses and it is a higher rating 137 kPa is almost 20psi

OEM Subaru Radiator Cap | FastWRX.com

In my experience Subaru parts diagrams are not accurate so I would trust fastwrx or any other vendor over subaru if they have conflicting information

·
Registered
1998 Impreza
359 Posts
Oh definitely not. You're dealing with a fluid that wants to expand into a gas but goes through a cooling cycle not to mention is being pressurized by a pump. Your oil pressure will be highest right after the pump but My guess would be that coolant pressure would be more affected by heat like if there was a cap on the engine block it would have to be something crazy like 5 bar idk lol. The point is that temperature along the system varies greatly, PV=nRT so since the amount of coolant is the same (hopefully lol) and the volume is, well, pretty much the same we can say P=RT and this is all very rough but the nerds at Subaru have probably figured out that pressure in the radiator is greater and needs a stronger cap. I just don't understand why they put a cap on it in the first place after years of having it sealed and it was fine. You could just weld it shut imo but certainly use a stronger cap than the header tank, that's my two dollars lol

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #655 ·
Sickspeed Radiator Cap Cover

As much as i dislike the company name Sickspeed (and i have no idea about their quality) this is the solution for now.

Basically, it let me do a few things i was concerned about. Rather than getting a performance cap that changed the pressure levels of the system, i was able to get the correct OEM cap @Brock Strongo suggested, while still doing a little bit of engine dressup.

These caps fit over existing radiator caps like so:

Here's the original

Here's the bottom of the Sickspeed cap cover where the existing cap fits

And installed

Here you can see the little threaded stud that keeps the cap cover on

But hey! Gold amirite?

I think i may look for some sort of decal or sticker to put over the top. The text is fine, but Sickspeed is just such an awful name....

I've heard that their products actually fade badly somehow, so we'll see about that too.

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #656 ·
Slight scare this week as a CEL came on while on the freeway. Turns out it was a P0442. So apparently that means that there was a leak in the evaporative system. It was by the purge valve vacuum line. All the lines are pretty hard at this point, so it might be worth it to go through and replace them all. But we'll see.

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #659 ·
Tire Mishap

So i guess i suck at taking care of my things? I'm honestly not sure how the tire blew out, but i can only theorize that it was low on air and the flexing caused it to blow out. Not certain, but i don't have a better answer.

Besides this, the back side of tire sidewall has chunks of rubber flaking off, which was disconcerting.

So into the shop we go! Fortunately i still had my full sized spare, which has an overall diameter almost identical to my BBS/Continental setup.

Ended up getting a tire for my spare BBS wheel as well once i realized that, had the blow out been on the front, the 16" spare would not have fit over my 4 pots. Lucky that.

Anyways, the tires were like 20k to 30k short of replacement, which is a lot. So it kind of sucks to have to have purchased new tires so early.

No pictures yet with everything back together. Ended up going with the new version of the DWS, the DWS 06 at 225/50/R17. They seem a little quieter maybe? I'm not good at sound things.

641 - 660 of 1066 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.