Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
301 - 320 of 1066 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Extended Armrest

@Carizme was kind enough to sell me an extended arm rest, which arrived yesterday. The install was pretty straight forward honestly. It took like 5 minutes.

Preinstall shots.

Remove the old cover by undoing two phillips screws.

Done.

Except that i was apparently missing one of the rubber stoppers on the top right. So i stole it from the old cover and using some lithium grease and a dental pick got the new stopper back in.

Super done.

I will say, i wish that the arm rest was longer. It's nominclature specifically lists "extended." Unfortunately, this is height only. The extra height is fantastic, it makes it actually usable. It would be nice if it was longer though so i could rest my elbow on it while driving.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
If you were closer, I'd swap you the console from the later SG. The top part slides forward and it's about that height from the factory... And I hate it, cause I keep hitting my elbow on it while shifting.

So, it's permanently tilted into the rear seat area where it functions as cup holders number 4 & 5 out of 7 (in a 5 seater car?).

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
I think I have an extra 2014 armrest laying around with the horizontal extension if you want to try and retrofit it?
I really appreciate that! I don't know though, i'd feel bad if i couldn't make it work properly or ruined it some how in the retrofit...

I'm certain you've seen the inside of an sg. Do you think they're similarly sized enough to make a retrofit feasible?

If you were closer, I'd swap you the console from the later SG. The top part slides forward and it's about that height from the factory... And I hate it, cause I keep hitting my elbow on it while shifting.

So, it's permanently tilted into the rear seat area where it functions as cup holders number 4 & 5 out of 7 (in a 5 seater car?).
That would have been rad. Since i'm 4EAT i don't really get the privilege of shifting, so it would have been perfect lol.

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
It might fit, but only way to try. I tried to haul an exhaust once without padding and it ripped up the cover some so it would need new fabric, so I said screw it and bought another. It is yours if you want to give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Yeah, i'd certainly be willing to try. Thank you very much! Let me know what works best for you for pickup I guess. I spend most of my time in Everett/Lynnwood/Kirkland/Northgate, but of course can meet you where ever. Obviously time is not of any concern either really. So when ever works for both of our schedules.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza
359 Posts
If you are looking for some jdm interior bits I have been putting together a rather large shipment from Osaka and can add pretty much anything you might be looking for. I have a few double din hoods coming and I got the radio surround with cupholder for my wife's car

The red hazard button averages about $40 in total and the wing you have sells for like $150 with the entire hatch and glass everything and so much shipping costs uggghhh

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
Hah, shipping is always the worst. I can't really think of anything that i'm looking for specifically, probably because i don't really know what's available. i'd love the bigger sti scoop in JBP, but i don't think that's super easy to come by. What kind of other things are you getting, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
1998 Impreza
359 Posts
mostly getting stuff for my impreza, the sti scoop averages like $150 auction price so it comes out to even more with shipping and fees not really worth it imo. there's some interesting items that are pretty rare like the business card holder and usually pretty good deals on steering wheels, cusco bracing and gauge clusters. my wife really just wanted the cupholder radio surround but adding more things makes the cost of shipping each item come down so I figured I would extend the offer and maybe save us both some $$$

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
mmm...Well, bracing aside, since i'm not really sure how much more of it is practical, the only thing i can think of that i really want (that i'm aware exists) is heated SG9 mirrors with the turn signals. Brock, you had mentioned you were trying to get a set. Any luck?

·
Registered
1998 Impreza
359 Posts
I'm probably going to get some from the dealer or a partout or something, the jdm ones are way too much and would have to swap out the glass anyway. I'm also looking at getting another nose cut, hopefully with skirts, spats and a rear bumper

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
OO. I'm jealous. I wanted to do the front end conversion, but it would have ended up costing like 2 grand or something, which i couldn't really swing. What's a rear bumper cost?

·
Registered
1998 Impreza
359 Posts
it varies, kind of hard to find by themselves actually and even harder to find in good condition and even harder to find in good condition and psm. $2000 isn't a bad estimate but they are usually lower shipped, I got my impreza cut for $1700 but it is worth much more parted out. To piece together a complete jdm kit would not only take a crap ton of time searching but it would cost way more than just getting the whole thing shipped at once. I wanted all of that stuff so I bit the bullet and no regrets except not getting a car that was wrecked in the front to begin with. It really makes a lot of sense if you have to repair crash damage anyway but dropping that kind of money on something purely cosmetic you have to really want it.

I think the Sport front end looks best on a stock height or raised suspension so this listing made me really miss my forester. Sport trim is what I'm looking to do to my wife's car since it will be staying at stock height. The STi front end would look droolingly nice on a lowered car and comes with the taller scoop and a different grille

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
All that is super tempting, i just don't have that kind of cash floating around right now. I still have to finish up brakes and retrofit headlights. I keep thinking about skirts, but i'd miss my mudflaps (i think you have to take off the factory flaps to fit the skirts right?). Anyways, i'm jealous. I can't wait to see what you ship in though! Thank you for the offer Brock, you're the bestest!

·
Registered
1998 Impreza
359 Posts
The jdm spats would replace the flaps. They are perfect for a lowered car where the flaps are scraping constantly, when I lowered my wife's SF the flaps had to go on like day one. I'm not finding too many deals on SG parts, some people are selling used stuff for more than japanparts

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
I scrape pretty often on my flaps...but i'd be sad without them. Spats might be a solution, but trying to find ones in JBP is not the easiest thing ever.

I can't believe people are selling things for more than Japanparts. That seems like a crime. AND, that being said, why would you trust a random seller over Japanparts? I mean, i know they have their critics, but at least they're not completely unknown....

·
Registered
1998 Impreza
359 Posts
idk what the paint years were like over there but black parts are pretty common, it seems like the only colors that are a little unbalanced is the silver being abnormally abundant and the gold being very rare just like over here. I have gotten stuff from japanparts and it's basically like ordering from a dealer... very expensive lol. I have checked a lot of auction prices against japanparts though and on the smaller interior items you are better off going through them, it also serves as a pretty good guide for what parts to look for at auction. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to go on there and not see something that you WANT! also, I learned that with the STi grille those little plastics to the sides and under the headlights are different it looks like the grille pushes further out like they did on the early imprezas.

The real deals are in larger items that can still be shipped at a reasonable cost like steering wheels. I'm really tempted to get this wheel...

301 - 320 of 1066 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.