Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who ordered 2019 Foresters recently, what have you been given as a time frame for delivery?
My dealer told me on Saturday that I'd be looking at mid-April, I haven't moved forward with anything yet though. (Would be my first time ordering a vehicle so I want to research more before agreeing to anything.)
Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,388 Posts
For those who ordered 2019 Foresters recently, what have you been given as a time frame for delivery?
My dealer told me on Saturday that I'd be looking at mid-April, I haven't moved forward with anything yet though. (Would be my first time ordering a vehicle so I want to research more before agreeing to anything.)
Thanks!
Typical quoted estimated delivery times for ordered Foresters seem to be 6-8 weeks, assuming no problems at the factory in Japan..I ordered mine (Touring) August 20th and received it October 4th, although the estimated delivery time was originally the end of October.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
141 Posts
Received a confirmatory SOA email for my order of a Touring Model for January 30th, stating the dealer should receive the vehicle the last week of April. That wasn’t good news. I was just reading about Mercedes now building SUV’s here and guessed that their production cost per car in a right to work state is less than near headquarters, and whether that might be true for Subaru as well. Three months indicates an operations problem, everything else being equal.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
81 Posts
I ordered in late December (i.e. dealer adjusted existing allocation I assume).
My email from Subaru of America indicated a last week of February delivery.
The dealer continues to tell me this is what their system shows (have me a screen print).
Today they told me since it's a port vehicle, it won't show up in their system until just prior to arrival.
They tell me Subaru typically under promises dates.

I would expect some delay given the plant downtime.
I'll stay positive and hope I'm in the car within the next 3-4 weeks...

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring CVT7
270 Posts
I ordered in late December (i.e. dealer adjusted existing allocation I assume).
My email from Subaru of America indicated a last week of February delivery.
The dealer continues to tell me this is what their system shows (have me a screen print).
Today they told me since it's a port vehicle, it won't show up in their system until just prior to arrival.
They tell me Subaru typically under promises dates.

I would expect some delay given the plant downtime.
I'll stay positive and hope I'm in the car within the next 3-4 weeks...
if emails from Subaru of America is activated on your order ... you will get 4 emails total
1 Order and ETA month
2 VIN and in production and ETA month
3 VIN Transit and ETA date
4 VIN Port and ETA date
track from port to dealer normally info between track company and dealer ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Received a confirmatory SOA email for my order of a Touring Model for January 30th, stating the dealer should receive the vehicle the last week of April. That wasn’t good news. I was just reading about Mercedes now building SUV’s here and guessed that their production cost per car in a right to work state is less than near headquarters, and whether that might be true for Subaru as well. Three months indicates an operations problem, everything else being equal.
Yikes, that timeline is not good to hear - hoping that turns out not to be the case! My sales person is telling me they will take the order and discuss pricing only AFTER the vehicle comes. I will not order (and give a deposit, even if it is refundable) unless we have an agreed on price in writing before ordering. So looks like I'll be back to contacting multiple dealers to even get an order in. I hate the car shopping process but can't wait to drive away in my new Forester!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,388 Posts
Yikes, that timeline is not good to hear - hoping that turns out not to be the case! My sales person is telling me they will take the order and discuss pricing only AFTER the vehicle comes. I will not order (and give a deposit, even if it is refundable) unless we have an agreed on price in writing before ordering. So looks like I'll be back to contacting multiple dealers to even get an order in. I hate the car shopping process but can't wait to drive away in my new Forester!
Something is wrong here...

Unless you’re referring to setting a firm value on your trade-in, the dealership knows EXACTLY what it needs to know to quote you a firm price.

If that’s not the case, you should RUN from this dealership... as fast as you can!

I ordered my 2019 Touring less than a week after it was available for order (last August). The deal was calculated and pricing finalized the day of the order, and I knew to the penny what the pricing structure was...

The only variable in a vehicle ordering situation is setting the value of your trade, unless you plan on leaving your vehicle with the dealership the day of placing your order.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
112 Posts
I agree. I just put a deposit down on a car that had to order. I had negotiated price before deposit and trade in. Just went in to sign some papers and talk to financing. They will honor whaterver trade in value they gave me at time even though car will have more mileage on it. It actually gives me more time to save up and put a little more down to lower monthly cost.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
81 Posts
if emails from Subaru of America is activated on your order ... you will get 4 emails total
1 Order and ETA month
2 VIN and in production and ETA month
3 VIN Transit and ETA date
4 VIN Port and ETA date
track from port to dealer normally info between track company and dealer ...
Found Email #2 in my Promotions folder from a few days ago. I now have a VIN. ETA still indicates last week of February. They must have some very efficient boats and trains, no?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
566 Posts
Report long delivery time, deliver shorter delivery time and the customer is happy.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
141 Posts
FF: Concur. That is the process. Had the car trade value done while in for req’d oil change, got their pricing info, and called them 2 days later to set the order in place. It helped that this was the second car I’d purchased there and neither the personnel nor their approach to pricing had changed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I don't have a trade-in (doing a private party sale) and I have my financing worked out already so I thought the process should be straightforward to order, but yes I felt a little uncomfortable that the sales person may be giving me the run around.
Separate question, I have an ambassador coupon (that I've been keeping in my back pocket so far and have not mentioned to any dealer), at what point do you mention that in your price negotiations if you are ordering? I was told only to give it to the finance person at the "last minute" - does that mean after the car comes in when I'm picking it up? Or after we've reached the final lowest price I can negotiate when ordering do I throw it out as "one more thing" to adjust the price.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring CVT7
270 Posts
looks like you don't have good relation with your dealer

at the time your finance person starting to print your final purchase agreement ( the one is done on matrix printer 40-in long )

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered a touring on Nov. 18, said it would be 8 weeks, never received any tracking info, but car arrived 7 weeks later and received call from dealer to pick it up and in fact was on January 19. so go with the 8 weeks for the touring

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
30 Posts
I was originally advised 4 -6 weeks and now it looks like 8 weeks (Vancouver, BC). Just don't tell anybody that you have ordered the car. You will be constantly asked if the car arrived and you have to make up excuses. In the meantime read up on all the owners experience on this site and elsewhere so you are better prepared when you get the car. If you can get your hands on the Owner's Manual read that too. This car has a lot of technical features that can be annoying on the drive home from the dealer unless you are aware of it and know how to disable it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,388 Posts
I don't have a trade-in (doing a private party sale) and I have my financing worked out already so I thought the process should be straightforward to order but yes, this sales person is either super incompetent or intentionally giving me the run around, neither of which I want to deal with when making a purchase of this size.
Separate question, I have an ambassador coupon (that I've been keeping in my back pocket so far and have not mentioned to any dealer), at what point do you mention that in your price negotiations if you are ordering? I was told only to give it to the finance person at the "last minute" - does that mean after the car comes in when I'm picking it up? Or after we've reached the final lowest price I can negotiate when ordering do I throw it out as "one more thing" to adjust the price.
Thanks for the advice!
Present the coupon at the time the deal and financing has been finalized, but before the documentation has been printed and signed. Using the coupon on an “in-stock” purchase is identical to using it on a special order vehicle.

Subaru corporate eats that discount, not the dealership, but the dealership may claim otherwise. If it’s unwilling to simply accept the coupon and give you the full discount, I suggest you politely thank them for their time, get up and leave...and find a dealership that truly wants your business.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
222 Posts
Forester ordering and when did you take delivery

Hi, ordered my 2019 Forester Touring on January 4th and was informed on the 5th it would be late April for delivery.

In February I was updated by my salesman delivery would be moved up to March.

I recently contacted the salesman on the delivery date...he is checking....

I haven’t received a VIN yet and this seems strange since other threads mention getting their VINs much earlier?

Am I the new normal or is something going wrong here?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts