Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Update on my 51R yellow top. It died today after only 19 months. It gave me no indication that it was on the way out. Yesterday after work it started fine and I drove home to pick up the grocery list and the damn thing wouldn’t start. Thankfully I was at home when it died. Am I lucky or what? I yanked it out and brought it Batteries Plus and they pronounced it dead. Guess what, they don’t make 51R’s anymore. I wonder why??? :icon_mad:
I now have a nice new Optima red top 35.:cool:
Super....did they replace the battery at no charge?

·
Registered
05 FXT Broken 5-speed
239 Posts
I also have had a RedTop for over 6 years. It has gone thru 2 cars, and now it's in my Tacoma. I have sold Optima Batteries, about a year ago, and there would be couple that was shipped, w/ 1 or 2 cells already dropped and dead. So not sure. But when you get a good one, they seem to last... at least from my own personal experiences..
Absubtle
CO
PS-Last couple of weeks it's been -15 degrees F, in the mornings, and starts right up...

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
Super....did they replace the battery at no charge?
No, the yellow top had a two year prorated warranty. They credited me about $40. The new red top has a much better 3 year replacement warranty.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,735 Posts
Anyone know if this battery will fit our Foresters?

http://www.remybattery.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=34XCD
Comparing it to the Optima 35 http://www.remybattery.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=35-910, which does fit, it's about an inch longer. Width is just a shade larger, and both are shorter than the stock battery. The Optima (when bought at Remy) comes with a spacer to make up the difference in height. If this one doesn't you could just get shorter hold-downs.

Bottom line: Measure your Forester and see how it lines up against the specs.

One problem I see is that its terminals appear from the picture to be mounted along the front-to-back center line, for universal fit. Those who have used a similar universal battery from Optima have encountered a pretty tight connection to the positive cable. I can't comment on this first-hand, however, since I've got a 35, which has the terminals at the back.

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Understood bb....thanks for that explanation. :icon_cool:

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Locating the Red Tops is not easy up here......Partsource no longer carries them & Costco is having major shipping issues the manager told me :shrug: :icon_rolleyes: I'm gonna take a boo at our Super Walmart.

One thing I found interesting was the Costo 'Kirkland' brand batteries (also made by Johnson Controls)....a group 35 one has 640 CCA (800 CA) with a 3 year replacement warranty & a 100 month pro rated warranty! :icon_eek: All for only $54.99 Canadian! Anyone have experience with them?

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Just an FYI on group 35 batteries

I just replaced the OE battery this morning in my wife's XS with a Kirkland Signature (Costco brand) group 35 maintenance free battery (I did alot of 'digging' & research into this from ALL the 3 major brands....what can I say.....when it comes to cars, I have OCD! :huh: :icon_eek: )

The Kirkland group 35 battery has 800 CA & 640 CCA with 110 min RC (the most one can get this side of an Optima...the OE Subi battery has only 550 CCA) with a 3 year replacement warranty & 100 month pro-rated coverage.

With the exception of the stickers on the casing itself, I have confirmed that it is the identical battery (specs, components & all) to the Die Hard Gold (Sears brand) & Interstate Mega-Tron Plus batteries.....all this for $55.00 Canadian (I think in the U.S. it sells for around $39.00).

Bottom line (at least in Canada) I can get 3 of these batteries for the price of one Optima or 2 of the Die Hard/Interstates (with either the same or longer warranties) The best choice around for folks on a tight budget that need a high quality product at a very reasonable cost. :biggrin:

Just wanted to share this......I know many member's have many electrical aftermarket add on's & such that require something like the Optima (deep cycle), but for the average Forester owner that just needs a good everyday starting battery......you will not find anything better for the price......period. :icon_cool:

:Banane35:

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,735 Posts
I installed my Red Top Series 35 battery today, and I did indeed remember to write down the radio button settings before I killed the power. Got it from Remy www.remybattery.com for $92.50 plus $16.78 UPS shipping from WI to MD, which seemed quite reasonable. With the included bottom spacer it fit fine in the OEM holddowns.
I just priced the same battery for my wife's Impreza. It now costs $145.87 plus shipping at Remy. It must be those Chinese again, driving up the price of lead! Maybe it will go back down now that the lead paint scandal is out in the open and the factory owner has conveniently committed suicide.

Somebody on eBay is advertising the Red Top 35 for $139 with "free shipping for $30." Upon inquiry he acknowledged that there was a mistake in his listing and it wasn't really free, but he doesn't seem to have taken any steps to edit the mistake.

Remy's shipping was only about $17 last year, so it shouldn't have gone up too much by now--making Remy still the cheaper choice. And lots of folks here have had good experiences with them. And they have included the spacer that brings the battery back up to normal height at no extra cost.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
I tried to get one for the WRX from Remy but they were backordered. Ended up going to Advance Autoparts (chain store) and they ordered one from their warehouse. Turning in the dead OEM battery saved $10 and it came out to about the same price as Remy. The only thing it DIDN'T have is the nice little booster seat to raise the height of the battery. Not so much of an issue on the WRX... needed it for the Forester.

Now we're RedToppin' in both Scoobs! :)

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,735 Posts
The last time I checked Advance was only carrying the 35/75. Did you get the real 35 from them?

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Yup. They got it from teh warehouse. They didn't have it in the store.

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Anybody else running the Kirkland battery?

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,977 Posts
When I got my first Forester ,the 03, I was amazed they undersized the battery that much. Then when I picked up the 04 XT it was still the same Panasonic battery, woefully undersized for New england weather.

FWIW - an awful lot of the standard 12v batteries are made by Johnson Controls and rebranded. I think this includes Sears as well, although I can't remember for sure.

So I was going to put in a DieHard since I've nothing but good luck with those. By now, I'd had the car for 4 months and December was approaching. In fact one morning it got cold enough to make the engine a little "draggy" on start up.

So I went to WalMart and bought their $35 500+ CCA battery. 44 months later, still starts like a champ. I was going to get an optima battery, but for $35-$40 every 4 + years I think I'll just keep dumping WalMart specials into it. Assuming I can't find another car soon.

Of course I'm bone stock, no megawatt amplifers, but I do have two subwoofers.

The optima's do have a great :bling: factor though.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
re redtop

What I disliked most about the original battery was the acid spills left in the front area of the car. When I would do some off road stuff I could see the residue left behind. I have had the RT for about 3.5 years and couldn't be happier. How long do these last? Bob L.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Since we traded in our wrx yesterday I un-modded and pulled the Redtop out. It is indeed a Group 35 and I got it from Advanced Autoparts.

Big question is... can I replace the Group 85 in the new Outback with the Group 35?

61 - 80 of 82 Posts