Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
hey what about the yellow top one??? does that fit in the forester as well?
just wondering if it will fit at all and if it will work

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,737 Posts
foresterxtguy said:
hey what about the yellow top one??? does that fit in the forester as well?
just wondering if it will fit at all and if it will work
Sure, the Series 35 Yellow Top is the same size as the Series 35 Red Top, which is a perfect fit. Battery sizes are pretty well standardized. Remy lists the Yellow Top at $126.

You might check to see if it comes with the spacer that makes up the difference in height with respect to the OEM battery. The Red Top does include this. Without a spacer, you'd have to get shorter holddowns or perhaps chop a bit off the stock ones as long as the threaded part is still long enough.

Remy's phone people are very knowledgeable. I'm sure they'd be glad to help.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I'm stuck whether I should just wait till my current battery craps out before I buy it or just replace it even when my battery I have now is fine..

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Peaty said:
One is a universal battery where the poles are more towards the center and has side ones to, the one I got has them at the end and it's a 35R (reversed poles) no need to make any adjustments to the battery ends. It's the same specs for but the poles are different, they are like the OEM battery.
The 35R is a "fit's like a glove" then :?: (or the better choice of the 2, 35's for fitment?) If so, I will make a note of that number when the time comes for a new battery & take the 35 off my list.

fwiw, when I e-mailed Optima they just gave me the 'regular' 35, not the 35R :?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,737 Posts
Lexusfreak said:
fwiw, when I e-mailed Optima they just gave me the 'regular' 35, not the 35R :?
Correct. The terminals are in what is apparently called the R position on other batteries, but for the 35 they're OK as is. Really. Fits like a glove.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
317 Posts
I threw a yellow top in my car a few weeks ago. The battery is identical to the red top, the only difference being that it is a deep cycle battery, not short cycle like the red top (and all other starter batteries). Normally a deep cycle battery is not capable of delivering enough cranking amps to turn over a motor, but the Optima is designed to deliver 750 CCA, so it works beautifully. Its a tad more expensive, but the plus side is it will drive my radio (2000 watts of amplification) for 12+ hours and STILL start the car. If you are like me and tend to **** your battery listening to music, its the only way to go...

:tongue:

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
bbottomley said:
Correct. The terminals are in what is apparently called the R position on other batteries, but for the 35 they're OK as is. Really. Fits like a glove.
35R it is then when the time comes.....thanks! :cool:

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,737 Posts
Lexusfreak said:
35R it is then when the time comes.....thanks! :cool:
No--just plain 35! Sorry if my original post was unclear.

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
did anyone else have the proplem with the starter wirer not being long enough? I still got it to fit but still what a pain in the a$$

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
GIT-R-DONE said:
did anyone else have the proplem with the starter wirer not being long enough? I still got it to fit but still what a pain in the a$$
I had a new + lead made for my starter rather than put tension on it by stretching it.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,737 Posts
I had no problem with cable length with the Series 35 battery, nor do I recall anybody else who's discussed them here having such a problem. The more universal 35/75 is the one with the problem, as its terminals are located along the center line so it can be mounted in either direction.

There's a big discussion about this earlier in this very thread, with pictures. Disregard the unfortunate digression (partly mine) about "35R." It appears that there is no such thing, but it doesn't matter because the 35 is configured correctly for our application: As seen when looking back at the battery from the front of the car, positive terminal is at left rear, negative is at right rear. Yes, I realize that this description is backwards from the way one normally describes locations in a car, but I just couldn't visualize myself standing in the engine compartment and looking forward at the battery so I could say Left and Right in the normal way!

Bottom line: No problem fitting to the existing cables.

As always with Subies made for different national markets, YMMV!

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
I think I posted this link already but if you go here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4405

You will notice that the battery is a direct drop in, no need for any wire stretching or replacing. The + and - are in the same position and location as the OEM battery. It's not a universal battery like the one in the very first pic. of this thread. While it looks like you can flip the universal battery around and get the poles closer that won't work because they will be reversed. There seems to be some confusion about this for some reason. I've taken the first post pic and put it next to the drop in battery and a close up of the drop in battery so you can see the part number. The only thing is the drop in battery is a little shorter. You can either put on the base extension or get shorter hold down J bolts. When I ordered my battery the base came free.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,737 Posts
Lexusfreak said:
Is that a standard item that comes when you buy the battery or do you have to ask for it?
It was automatic with Remy. Not sure about anywhere else.

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
I will make sure I request one when I order mine. Thanks gents! :)

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
Update on my 51R yellow top. It died today after only 19 months. It gave me no indication that it was on the way out. Yesterday after work it started fine and I drove home to pick up the grocery list and the damn thing wouldn’t start. Thankfully I was at home when it died. Am I lucky or what? I yanked it out and brought it Batteries Plus and they pronounced it dead. Guess what, they don’t make 51R’s anymore. I wonder why??? :icon_mad:
I now have a nice new Optima red top 35.:cool:

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Update on my 51R yellow top. It died today after only 19 months. It gave me no indication that it was on the way out. Yesterday after work it started fine and I drove home to pick up the grocery list and the damn thing wouldn’t start. Thankfully I was at home when it died. Am I lucky or what? I yanked it out and brought it Batteries Plus and they pronounced it dead. Guess what, they don’t make 51R’s anymore. I wonder why??? :icon_mad:
I now have a nice new Optima red top 35.:cool:
Ouch! :icon_sad:
My Red Top is now 6yrs old and still going strong.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts