Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last week I went ahead and bought an optima red top to replace my dying battery. I got it from the local batteries plus store. Luckily enough too, I have a friend that works there, so it only cost me $75!

Thought I'd throw in a few pics of the subie for good measure.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,735 Posts
Looks nice.

We've got a couple of Red Top threads going here. I just wrote to pleiad7 asking whether the picture she posted was of the exact battery that fits the Forester, as it was a distinctly different picture from the one that Peaty had posted a while ago on scoobymods.

Peaty's battery was Group 35; yours (and possibly pleiad7's too) is 75/35. My concern was that the positive cable on my Forester is very tight, and I didn't know whether it would stretch far enough to fit on the 75/35. But it looks from your picture as if it fits just fine.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I've got a 75/35 red top, and I ran into the same problem with a (+) cable being stretched.

Fortunately, since the red-top is a drycell battery, you can just mount it on its side, which I did. Cables reach just fine now.

D

·
0 Posts
So how are those batteries, would it be wise for me to get one because I installed a new head unit and a sirius interface kit??? Thanx

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,735 Posts
dlroto said:
So how are those batteries, would it be wise for me to get one because I installed a new head unit and a sirius interface kit??? Thanx
Any excuse is a good reason to get something new for your Forester! And a project isn't a project unless it lets you buy a new tool.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
I think the Red Top actually added hp to our SVX. I was amazed at how noticeable a change there was.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blitzoid and bbottomley, you are both exactly right. There was a problem with the + cable reaching on this model battery. If you reach back far enough in the engine, theres a little clip connecting the + cable to some others. If you pull hard enough though, there will be plenty of reach. ;)

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
The link I posted above is to a drop in battery that is made for a Subaru, no fittment issues with the cable at all.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,735 Posts
Peaty said:
The link I posted above is to a drop in battery that is made for a Subaru, no fittment issues with the cable at all.
Yours was a 35; ScoobyDoobie's was a 35/75, which sounds like a hybrid between two types--and maybe not a perfect match for either. I'll go for the 35.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a quick comparison regarding the group 35 v.s. the group 75/35

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=egnsearch.asp&N=115+400089+306984&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=egnsearch.asp&N=115+400089+306984&autoview=sku

Battery Usage: Starting
Volts: 12 V
Battery Terminals: Top and side
Battery Type: Gel cell
Cranking Amps at 0 Degrees F: 720
Cranking Amps at 32 Degrees F: 910
Reserve Capacity: 90
Length (in): 9 5/16
Width (in): 6 13/16
Height (in): 7 5/8
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: BCI Group 75/35

Battery, Red Top, 12 V, Starting, 720 Cold Cranking Amps, Top/Side Post, BCI Group 75/35, Each

Battery Usage: Starting
Volts: 12 V
Battery Terminals: Top
Battery Type: Gel cell
Cranking Amps at 0 Degrees F: 720
Cranking Amps at 32 Degrees F: 910
Reserve Capacity: 90
Length (in): 9 5/16
Width (in): 6 13/16
Height (in): 7 5/8
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: BCI Group 35

Battery, Red Top, 12 V, Starting, 720 Cold Cranking Amps, Top Post, BCI Group 35, Each

according summitracing at least, the 35 and 75/35 are the SAME battery.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,735 Posts
Definitely the same thing electrically, but there differences in terminal configuration. I'll do some more poking and prodding to see if I can create any slack, but if the store gives me a choice I'll go with the 35.

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
ScoobyDoobie said:
Here's a quick comparison regarding the group 35 v.s. the group 75/35
according summitracing at least, the 35 and 75/35 are the SAME battery.
One is a universal battery where the poles are more towards the center and has side ones to, the one I got has them at the end and it's a 35R (reversed poles) no need to make any adjustments to the battery ends. It's the same specs for but the poles are different, they are like the OEM battery.

Attachments

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
I just put a new Optima 34R in JudyRu's 98 Forester. It replaces an Optima that I bought new back in 1997. It still worked fine, but I didn't want to chance it with a battery that old. They can't last forever? Can they?

I have a 51R in my XT after donating my OEM battery to my sister in-laws 98 OB. This is her third battery.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,735 Posts
Aha! 35R. "R" as in "reversed." The R doesn't show up on the label in Peaty's picture.

One more complicating factor.

Thanks, everybody. Now I've got a better idea what to look for.

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
This place here has them:

http://tinyurl.com/3rb8e

That price is shipped including the bottom extender. Best price I could find at the time on the web.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
I got mine from Remy... it was like $109 shipped w/ the bottom extender. Best deal I could find! Sears also carries Optima Redtops, but you'll probably pay more. Actually Costco has 'em too, not sure about the Group 35 though.

The forester has the redtop in it and on teh really cold days it turns right over. The wrx still has the stock battery... it's a little slow on the start.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,735 Posts
Thanks.

Interesting economics. The 34R has about 10% greater capacity than the 35 for about 35% more cost!

Strange thing: All my Web searches come up with 35, not 35R. But the terminals in their pictures are all in the R position. But I get good hits when I look for 34R.

I'm going to start my search at the local outlets, where I can touch the product.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
I didn't notice a chart for specifics (exact model of Optima battery) on the Optima website......where can I find a site that tells me the different models of batteries for my Lexus & 2003 XS Forester? (although I assume it's the exact same as your 2004 XT Peaty?)? ;)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts