Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I would like some input on aftermarket bov's. I was reading the by pass valve thread & I have an 05fxt & I recently bought an usdm sti intercooler from a friend & he threw in an hks ss bov for a great price so i purchased them both. I tend to hear some good & not so good things regarding aftermarket bov's so I'd like to know if anyone has any opinions/experiences with them or more specifically the hks ss bov. I know that with atmoshere venting bov's the MAF can sometimes get screwed up due to the air being expelled & not accounted for but I had an 02 wrx with an sti intercooler a turbo xs bov a TBE,up pipe, intake & ecu tek remap & had no problems with it. I am planning on doing similar mods to the xt but I am weary of any potential problems. Thanks in advance for any help.

G

·
hello, i was in the same dilema some time ago. The only real reason why you put a bov is for the sound it does when it vents or because you´re using some turbo different than stock putting a lot of boost.

I did it just for the sound. I heard some ppl said that i would cause some bugging after shifting due to rich mixture it generates for miliseconds (didn´t happen). Heard some ppl said it would be a performance gain (didn´t happened either).

My advise would be, if you´re stock and want the sound, go for it, if you´re not stock maybe you need it. Otherwise keep stock.

Fonta.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Fonta. I got the hks ss BOV as part of a package deal w/an sti intercooler for a good price from a close friend who parted out his car. I do plan on eventually upgrading the turbo but i'm sure the sti by pass valve would handle what ever boost levels the upgraded turbo would put out but i figured i could get the hks one for such a good price ($75) that i would try it. I didn't run into any problems when I had one on my wrx so I figure i'll install it w/my intercooler & see what happens. Thanks, Ian

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Using an atmospheric BOV w/ a stock turbo you will see a slight loss in power but get a nifty sound. You are better off w/ an STi BOV for the STi TMIC unless you are going to run insane boost levels.

·
Registered
2004 fxt
16 Posts
if you want the sound, get the STi recirc valve and a CAI like an Injen. you'll be able to hear your wastegate/recirc action without dealing with the driveability issues.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
^^^ my thoughts exactly.

My setup: stock recirc valve + shorty intake + snorkus removal = quasi BOV ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would the xt's recirc. valve work with the sti tmic? While the hks s/s bov sounds cool i don't want to use it if there would be any potential driveablility issues or slight loss of power. Why would the bov & stock turbo = a slight power loss? My planned set up (i have some the parts & some are in the works) is a helix up pipe, cobb tbe, sti tmic (possible w/hks s/s bov), K&N typhoon intake & ecu tek remapped ecu. I would be running slightly higher boost levels that stock but nothing that would require the aftermarket bov. I do eventually plan on upgarded the turbo & fuel system down the road but not for a while. any insight is appreciated, Thanks, Ian

·
Registered
2004 fxt
16 Posts
i do not believe the stock xt recirc valve will work on the STi TMIC.

·
6/22/76 - 12/21/14 , Gone but not forgotten
742 Posts
Peaty said:
fantastic site, peaty. thanks, as usual!

got a quick Q. Does the stock WRX bpv hold the same boost as the stock STI bpv? I see a lot of WRX owners upgrading to an STI TMIC but using their stock bpv's, even with vf34s.

so, is it more cost effective to purchase a wrx bpv (and maybe save 10 bucks?)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts