Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a chance to pick up a set with about 60-70% tread for dirt cheap.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these tires? I dug up some internet reviews that werent so good but I trust the opinions of all of you much, much more than some yahoo on the interweb:icon_wink:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I had either RE92's or RE92A's as OEM tires on my '91 and '93 Legends. Considering how long ago it was, they were probably RE92's. They were fine on dry pavement, but they were awful in rain, snow, or ice. My experience generally correlates to the these tires' Tire Rack survey results.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Search on virtually any Subaru-related Forum, and you'll find comments akin to "RE92s Kill Bunnies!"

The truth of the matter is that while they're not a great tire, they're a decent compromise for/in all the ways that a set of factory-equipped all-season radials are expected to be: ride quality, cabin NVH, longevity, performance: nothing's all that great, but at the same time, nothing's going to be glaringly wrong, either.

Wet (including hydroplane resistance) or dry, they're simply meh. Nothing to write home about.

As with all "all-seasons," it doesn't do very well on ice. But honestly, anything short of studded tires leaves at least something to be desired, on such (and by that, I will qualify my statement with the fact that my wife's '09 FXT is on a set of Michelin X-ICE Xi2s, which are currently the top-rated [not just by the hack TireRack "Surveys," rather, by an extensive list of established and highly regarded testing groups] "Studless Ice & Snow" genre winter tires, and that my '05 Legacy 2.5GT is on a set of Dunlop SP WinterSport 3Ds, which, by ADAC testing, ranks very highly in its genre, for ice traction).

Snow/slush?

As long as you're careful and don't exceed the rather small performance envelope of these tires, you'll be fine - and yes, that means leaving a good margin for potential emergency maneuvers. I drove around with them for one winter on my LGT, and we drove on my wife's set on her WRX for three winters - NE-Ohio winters, that is: where if you popped a tire recommendation question on Luke/TireRack's running winter-tire thread on NASIOC, you'll automatically get the response of "go with 'Ice and Snow' tires" - and we never had a problem. We never got stuck and no, we never had any accidents. But at the same time, no, these tires didn't inspire much confidence, and even the 225/45/17 set of half-worn Falken ZIEX ZE-512 (which are not exactly known for their winter prowess) I had later shod my wife's WRX with showed a distinctly improved wintry-precip. behavior, compared with the 205-width RE92.

Just be sure to check up on the tire pressures and the tread-depth, and you'll be OK.

But honestly, how dirt cheap is "dirt cheap?" And don't forget mounting fees....

At 60% tread, you're already going to be losing quite a bit of winter traction - so if that's what you're looking for, unless your current set is at minimal depth, I truly don't think it's worth the hassle.

Also, how old are the tires? Check their week/year of manufacture (required, by DOT). I wouldn't bother with anything more than 5 years old.

And is the tread-depth all matching?

Unless it's a *really* good bargain, and you can meet the three criteria above, I'd honestly move on.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, great info!

Tires are $150. Guy said they are off his 06 Outback so the age of the tire was already an "iffy" factor for me. Also says they were stored inside but that doesnt mean much to me if they were on his Outback for years.

I think I am going to pass on them with the advice so far. Our Foz doesnt see rain or snow (if we can help it) and it stays garaged during winter (mostly) but ya, these arent for us.

Thanks again:icon_cool:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I have 06 Outback RE92s (225/55/17) on my X and I love them. They are a great all around tire for an NA Subie. They handle the rain and light snow fairly well, and are a pretty quiet tire. I plan on getting another set when they wear out since you can find them so cheap. I had them on my XT for a bit too and at stock power levels they did pretty good in the dry. They are 10x better than Geo's, that for sure.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can pick them up for you sea-scooby since you have done a few favors for me:icon_cool:

I know the price is good and they are 225/55/17's too.

Any pics of them on the X?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
We've run RE92's on our '98 S and they're A-OK. They have great grip on dry roads and do well in the rain too. IMHO, they get a bad rap from turbo Subie owners who have a tendency to overdrive them. I probably wouldn't run them on the XT, but on the N/A variety they make a great choice for all-seasons. Even better, you can pick them up dirt cheap because people hate them so much!

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My biggest concern for tires is their ability to tackle the mountain passes and valleys here in OR (wet or dry) which are pretty demanding whether you drive spirited or not.

How are the comparisons between the tires we use now (Toyo Eclipse) and these? The Toyo's (which are just about done) have proven very well when we tackled OR last Summer.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
I love them. They are great in most weather conditions.

I find that people who hate them, typically can't drive well.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
I say that not that timid drivers won't like them.

I say that about people who crash and blame the tires.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I did some autoxing with my bone stock wrx wagon in 2002 and the tires did not like me at all:chair:....understeered and squealed like a pig, but hey I was abusing them on raceday, but didnt complain much with them as my DD....

·
Registered
2006 WRX
15 Posts
They were pretty horrible on my WRX. Winter MTN. driving. I upgraded to some Michelin's A/S and they were so much better for sporty driving and surprising for winter handling as well.

On the other hand, I had them on my Civic and they made it seem sporty and it handled very well, then I switched to Michelin Energy's and it handled like crap in comparison, but winter driving was much improved, along with the ride.

I guess it is just a preference thing though. Tread life was about 35k on the wrx and about 40k mostly highway on the Civic.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Garbage compared to most other tires on the market. Most factory supplied tires are way overpriced, and have completely unimpressive performance. They're a fine all around DD tire for an N/A, but there are SO many better choices out there.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
They are a great buy or any NA owner. You can get a nice used set for the price of a single tire of most other brands. great bang for the buck!

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
IMHO, they get a bad rap from turbo Subie owners who have a tendency to overdrive them.
I say that not that timid drivers won't like them.

I say that about people who crash and blame the tires.
^ Those two comments are right-on.

It's typically not the timid drivers that will get themselves into trouble, with the RE92s - remember, these tires are factory-OEM, and are designed as a best-all-round compromise, with sufficient safety margin under most average circumstances.

As-such, they're not going to offend the average driver, particularly when driven well within their performance envelope.

It's when people get too aggressive with them that bad things start to happen.

You're afraid of your wife getting into trouble, Subie 2003?

Don't. :wink:

My wife isn't a very "good" driver - no, I'm not putting her down, this is self-claimed; she's just not The Transporter type :icon_razz: - but that doesn't mean that she's not careful or attentive. And going back to the example that I gave you before, look at us, we drove on the RE92s for some 30-odd thousand miles, in NE-Ohio winters, through two rather impressive snowstorms during that time, and we never had a problem.

Don't expect more from these tires than what they are, and neither you nor your wife will have a problem. :smile:

But at the same time:

Garbage compared to most other tires on the market. Most factory supplied tires are way overpriced, and have completely unimpressive performance.....there are SO many better choices out there.
^ There's a lot of truth to be had, there, too.

It's not that these tires are completely piss-poor. Rather, it's just that they are not impressive for their cost - which is virtually the case with just about every other factory-OEM selection, in this particular vehicle segment/genre.

It's a compromise selection.

For the money, there's much better choices out there.

And no, I would not say that $150 for a set of 4 of these RE92s, that's been in-service since 2006 (thus carrying, at the most optimistic, a 2006 DOB), at something around 60% of their tread-life is a "good deal" by any means. Maybe if you got the wheels they're mounted on (provided that those rims are undamaged and true, of-course), but since you're likely looking at at-least another $15 to $20, per tire, for mounting and balancing....this is not a completely front-pocket-change operation.

Like pleiad7 said, there's tons of truly good deals on these tires, provided that you're willing to wait 'till the right one popped up for you - since they're so universally hated among supposed Scooby enthusiasts.

I'd pass on this particular one, and see if something better doesn't come along. :smile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts