Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In past threads, I've offered to help develop simple parts for our cars. Some of those designs were higher level concepts, whereas others were carried through to production. The intent of this thread is to gauge everyone's level of interest in what parts they'd want me to design, with some help/input from members of this forum.

My plan is to receive input/measurements/ideas from members, and I would put together a final drawing that you could take to a fabricator in your town. My design services will be free, and the final drawings will be free. I will gladly accept beer, though, if you're so inclined. :biggrin:

I don't have time to do all of the leg-work, like taking measurements, making prototypes, and managing the fabrication process. That's why I'm calling this an "opensource" design/fabrication co-op. You, the end-user, help with the research, and I'll do the design. So, what's in it for me, you ask? You're helping me design one-off parts for my car, too! :icon_biggrin::Banane35:

I am a civil/structural engineer with several years of steel fabrication design and 3D modeling. I am a very good drafter, so all of the drawings will be produced to the highest level of quality.

Here are a few ideas for parts to get us started:

***Engine Cover
***Intake Airbox
***Scoop/TMIC Splitter
***Battery Cover
***Turbo Heatshield
***Rear Strut Tower Brace
***Ladder Brace
***Exhaust Flange Adapters (i.e. N/A to FXT)
***DIN Gauge Plates
***Steel Bumper
***2" Lift Spacer w/ Camber Correction
***Manual Transmission Reinforcing Brace

Please let me know what you think. It'll take everyone's help and cooperation to make this happen! :icon_biggrin:

Completed Designs:

Internal Lightbar - by FXTSPORTS08 - http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...-parts-internal-light-bar-fsgd0001-page-1.pdf

External Lightbar - By lilForester/Arthrogrian19 - http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=22908&stc=1&d=1270238291

Conceptual Designs:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,705 Posts
Sounds like a great idea, its also what I have already started doing. I have already posted manufacturing drawings for the 06-08 Internal Light Bar I designed and will have drawings for strut spacers done shortly!

To give a little background about me:

I am a mechanical design engineer, I design custom tooling and one off fabrications. I spend a lot of time in CAD but can also do the fabrication side of things with the tools I have at work.

I attached the cover sheet for the light bar I designed and built (other have had them built from these drawings as well).

P.S. Am I being a stereo typical engineer if I already came up with and started implementing a Forester specific drawing numbering system?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^ Thanks for posting up your design!!! That looks like a nice & simple solution for a light bar - I like it!

P.S. Am I being a stereo typical engineer if I already came up with and started implementing a Forester specific drawing numbering system?
Yes, it is very stereotypical! :biggrin: We might as well put together a drawing index, too, to manage the drawings. :Banane29:

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,705 Posts
Internal Light Bar Pictures Info and Drawings:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/internal-aluminum-light-bar-my03-08-build-thread-67412/

Strut Spacer Pics:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/sti-suspension-near-stock-ride-height-71034/index2.html#post794035

Strut Spacer Drawings and .dxf for waterjet machine:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/sti-suspension-near-stock-ride-height-71034/index2.html#post797519

P.S.
FSGD0001
F->Obviously Forester
SG->Chassis Designation Part is For
D->Part Drawing, S would be Electrical Schematic

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
You guys are my heroes. I'm an engineering student and a service tech. I engineer repairs for bad engineering on a daily basis.:icon_wink: I have a good fab/metal shop here that I frequent. If anyone wants to see what these things would cost.... I have no idea how we could handle the money part though.

I wouldn't handle the money - unless I become a supporting vendor.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,705 Posts
You guys are my heroes. I'm an engineering student and a service tech. I engineer repairs for bad engineering on a daily basis.:icon_wink: I have a good fab/metal shop here that I frequent. If anyone wants to see what these things would cost, maybe like a co-op group buy, I'll do it for beer money. I have no idea how we could handle the money part though.
Thanks for the offer, I source out parts to machine shops everyday! I usually spend about $100k a month for my job. These shops will usually make me one of whatever I want as a favor and give me a really good price on a production run. We have to have special permission here to do something like a group buy unless we are setup as a vendor.

I'm pretty sure if we showed enough interest and already had a product developed it also wouldn't be too hard to convince a vendor to do a group buy!

My next project is going to be lifting strut spacers that have an offset mount to get back some camber.

Anybody else have any ideas on parts they want?

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody else have any ideas on parts they want?
A rear strut tower bar, similar to the one made by Mo-Boost, would be a worthwhile mod. It's no longer in production, so I don't think there'd be any objection to using a similar design.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
First off, kudos guys!
My input on the 4 point rear strut brace is to incorporate access for coilover adjustments without having to remove the tower cones. I'm going to mill out some sections of mine one of these days...

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off, kudos guys!
My input on the 4 point rear strut brace is to incorporate access for coilover adjustments without having to remove the tower cones. I'm going to mill out some sections of mine one of these days...
Very good feedback! I didn't realize the current design did not allow for coilover adjustment.

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Good idea, but makes us a lil' cautious of continuing our hard work on becoming a Forester specific aftermarket company.

Hmm...questioning our vendor status....

It sounds like we will be ran out of business by our own customers. I sure hope that's not the case. You guys have been very loyal to us for the last few years.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,705 Posts
Good idea, but makes us a lil' cautious of continuing our hard work on becoming a Forester specific aftermarket company.

It sounds like we will be ran out of business by our own customers. I sure hope that's not the case. You guys have been very loyal to us for the last few years.
I don't think that will be the case! I can tell you unless you have a hook up there is no way most people can afford to get one-off machined parts! To waterjet those 2" spacers I made it would have cost $508! If I made 20 sets that would have been a different story. Luckily I didnt have to pay for them or else I just would have bought two of your sets and welded them together. I don't think you will have any issues staying in business.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Subscribing to this thread.

At this time, as long as none of the people are offering a product for sale, or gauging interest for a group buy or developing a product for profit, there is no issue. However, we will keep an eye on things if it becomes a parts design service FOR HIRE where compensation is involved.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Subscribing to this thread.

At this time, as long as none of the people are offering a product for sale, or gauging interest for a group buy or developing a product for profit, there is no issue. However, we will keep an eye on things if it becomes a parts design service FOR HIRE where compensation is involved.
I'll make sure that doesn't happen! :icon_biggrin: This is meant to be a collection of free designs put together by members of the forum. :Banane35:

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Brad, that's certainly not the intent. I have a few of your parts on my car, if you haven't noticed. :icon_wink:

A lot of the parts above are not Forester-specific, and some of the parts are out of production or difficult to source. Hell, I wouldn't even care if you took the info from some of the designs, improved them, and sold them to people here. Personally, I think it's a win-win situation for everyone.

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
It just seemed a bit unethical to steer people toward pics of your lift after a picture of the for sale lift was posted thats all.Maybe I misinterpreted the intentions.
That was obviously not our intent. I was trying to help the guy out and show pictures, not sell anything.

Hence the "GLWS" note.

Anyhow....back on topic.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought about this scenario some more, while I was eating a bowl of Raisin Bran and realized this situation is very similar to how things are conducted in the engineering world, including the project I've been working on for the last 2 years.

Client hires Engineer 1 (a design-build contractor) to design and build project. Client hires Engineer 2 (a local expert) to review Engineer 1's work and suggest minor improvements to original design. Engineer 1 and Engineer 2 work together to develop a new and improved design. Client is happy and rehires Engineer 1.

In this case, Engineer 1 is the contributors of the free designs, Engineer 2 is SS, and the Client is the happy end-user.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Firstly, I want to apologize to Subtle. I was in no way wanting to step on toes here, just throwing out an idea. I am perfectly okay with the answer being no. I also thought it would be okay since you don't make 2" blocks. If you did, and I could afford them, I would buy them. I agree though it is bad form to do something like this for a part you make. Anyway, I will follow any rules set out by the mods, whatever they may be. Would you be interested making 2" blocks? Maybe some of the guys on here can help with r&d to help keep costs down.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yay, I finally have some more time to devote to designing stuff. I've had some Hella 500s sitting in the garage for quite a while. I think I'm going to design an external (removable) light bar that'll connect to the bottom of the bumper beam and the pre-drilled holes in the bumper for the license plate.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
I thought about this scenario some more, while I was eating a bowl of Raisin Bran and realized this situation is very similar to how things are conducted in the engineering world, including the project I've been working on for the last 2 years.

Client hires Engineer 1 (a design-build contractor) to design and build project. Client hires Engineer 2 (a local expert) to review Engineer 1's work and suggest minor improvements to original design. Engineer 1 and Engineer 2 work together to develop a new and improved design. Client is happy and rehires Engineer 1.

In this case, Engineer 1 is the contributors of the free designs, Engineer 2 is SS, and the Client is the happy end-user.

Good analogy. What you're achieving here is essentially creating what we call "Bridging Documents," plans and specs for a design that is then reviewed, improved, and ultimately built by a D-B contractor via RFPs. Happiness between the 1st and 2nd party though, is not always guaranteed :p

Don't worry Brad. Ultimately, the things that need to be made usually find their way to people like you who we know can build the thing to our standards. Sure, some market share will be lost to DIYers, but there are potential cost savings as well from the time freed from design/R&D.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts