Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 4EAT
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully opened the 06-08 tail lights for paint? I heated the crap out of mine today with no luck. I want to paint the chrome black. I did head and tail lights on my Protegé5 but those were aftermarket tails.

Cheers,

Go Canada :woohoo:

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
No one has done so successfully to my knowledge. They don't come apart like the headlights do.
damn I was gonna do the heads and tails at the same time in march when my dad goes away so he won't know I used his oven to bake my lights. Hmm I don't wanna buy the STI ones..

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
the plastic on the tails take a bit of precise heating for a heat torch.. BUT it's a 50/50 chance you will ruin it because the plastic is quite fragile/thin. I've seen write ups from folks in Japan who've done it successfully, but they don't speak of how. one guy looked like he stuck a sharp blade in there and did it carefully. another looked like he just cut up the black portion around the edges and resealed it with some sort of epoxy. messy, but hidden.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
I think I'll be easier just to pay the $295/pair for the black ones.....and try to sell the chromed ones to recoup some of the cost.

Or buy a cheap one on eBay (or on here) and try it before destroying your own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts