Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my new 2006 XT... but now I'm worried! With maybe 70 miles on the odometer, I overshot 4,000 RPM -- probably hit 5,500 -- as I avoided another vehicle. PLEASE reassure me (if you can) that hitting 5,500 once during the break-in period isn't likely to have done any lasting damage to my great new Forester! I'm otherwise so psyched about the car.:|

Thanks for any thoughts on this. A.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
imperator1964 said:
Love my new 2006 XT... but now I'm worried! With maybe 70 miles on the odometer, I overshot 4,000 RPM -- probably hit 5,500 -- as I avoided another vehicle. PLEASE reassure me (if you can) that hitting 5,500 once during the break-in period isn't likely to have done any lasting damage to my great new Forester! I'm otherwise so psyched about the car.:|

Thanks for any thoughts on this. A.J.
as long you are not doing this regularly it wont be a problem. Plus we are all guilty (at least I know I am) of spirited driving during test drives in the dealer's demonstrator vehicles which are only days old and I'm sure not there would not be little or no adverse affects to those vehicles
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you have to drive slower during the break in period??? By the way mine is a non turbo automatic.
 

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
Joined
·
29,450 Posts
dlroto said:
Why do you have to drive slower during the break in period??? By the way mine is a non turbo automatic.
You don't have to drive slower, but you're not supposed to rev over 4k during break-in and vary your speeds. It's to ensure the proper seating of the piston rings and cylinder wall surfaces.

This goes for the NA models, too, btw, it's in your manual.
 

·
Registered
2006 Forester
Joined
·
174 Posts
No harm done as long as you don't redline. There is no evidence of any harm as long as you don't redline the motor while it is so new. In fact, motocycle engines broken-in but accelerations till redline and even above as long as it wasn't held there for long, show a HP INCREASE over ones broken in traditionally with no change in reliability. I'm talking Japanse bikes here. So don't redline, drive normally, DON'T cruise as a specific speed for too long (probabaly the worst thing) and you have nothing to worry about.

The motors are broken in at the factory but it still needs reasonable care to ensure proper seating and polishing. After break-in, you should accelerate freely for best results. Just remember that keeping it over redline for too long will never be helpful- at any stage.
 

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
I got a threshold, Jules. I got a threshold for the abuse I'll take. And right now I'm a race car and you got me in the red. I'm just saying that it's fn' dangerous to have a racecar in the fn' red. It could blow.
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone for their replies -- I feel better now! And, as an aside, the irresistible scoot from the XT has definitely given my other half more confidence behind the wheel. It's amazing what an extra 100 or so horses can do!
 

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
Joined
·
2,439 Posts
imperator1964 said:
Thanks to everyone for their replies -- I feel better now! And, as an aside, the irresistible scoot from the XT has definitely given my other half more confidence behind the wheel. It's amazing what an extra 100 or so horses can do!
I'm curious to what you drove before :p
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SenorSubie said:
I'm curious to what you drove before :p
We've been driving my other half's 2002 Honda Accord 4-cyl w/ auto trans. Not the slowest car in the world, but nothing like the XT (even with auto trans -- I wish we lived in a less congested area where we could have realistically considered the 5-speed!). By the way, I just looked up the actual HP on the Accord: it was 150 (and torque was 152 lb. ft. peaking at 4,700 rpm), so it was really just a 80 HP (and 83 lb. ft.) difference. Still, the XT's much fatter torque curve can't be missed!

Oh, and as we merged onto a highway tonight after running some errands (with my other half at the wheel), we wooshed ahead -- with the tach still well under 4,000! -- and my other half laughed and said, "I love that!" Who says you can't buy happiness?! :D
 

·
Captain Obvious
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
379 Posts
imperator1964 said:
it was 150 (and torque was 152 lb. ft. peaking at 4,700 rpm), so it was really just a 80 HP (and 83 lb. ft.) difference. Still, the XT's much fatter torque curve can't be missed!
My 2001 Taurus SE was the same way - 6 cylinders of oatmeal. The car was so ponderous that I felt unsafe getting on the highway. I think it had 155 peak horsepower... not that you could ever hit redline without the transmission shifting.

Now all that pain is but a distant memory. :D
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top