Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there something in the system that makes only one fan spin up to cool the engine coolant unless the temperature is exceptionally high? I notice the other day when checking under the hood after pulling a hill that only one fan was in operation. I am getting set to do a radiator replacement and I am wondering if need to do a fan replacement too.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you have a wiring diagram, check to see if both fans are on the same relay or not.

You also can use test mode to turn on and off all the relays to ensure that fan can be energized. If that works, then maybe there is a separate thermostat for that unit? Again, a wiring diagram will be your friend!

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/85-all-other-subaru-models/472145-2011-forester-green-test-plugs.html is one source of info about the test mode for the 2011 Forester.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
428 Posts
According to service manual, the 2nd fan turns on if coolant is above a certain temperature or AC is turned on. If below certain coolant temperature, only one fan is used.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
2.5x_sleeper
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing