Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this in the mail today:

That's the STI steering linkage I will need to connect my SF steering column to a 15:1 04 STI steering rack. I'll miss the upper body workout that my current rack affords me, but I'll finally be able to auto-x the car without feeling like I am racing the bus from Speed.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a found a guy here in FL with an 04 STI rack for $200! Almost there...

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Nice. How much you think all that's going to cost you?
Or what have you spent on it until now

·
Registered
1999 Forester
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or what have you spent on it until now
About $230, but those results probably aren't typical. If you are looking to do the same, the guy I bought my linkage from has another one for sale, and it's only $25 shipped: eBay Motors: 2005 SUBARU WRX STI STEERING RACK RACK PINION LINKAGE (item 320300842776 end time Sep-24-08 16:00:00 PDT)

I don't know about shipping to Norway, but it's worth asking. BTW, is your car's steering wheel on the left-hand or right-hand side?

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Hi again, I was not really looking for doing something like that but when you mention it it looked a bit interesting. all cars in Norway is left steering as standard exept for some import like from UK

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
The linkage isn't a straight bolt on to the SF cloumn, you need a GD Impreza column as well. You also need to remove the front subframe spacer blocks or the linkage will be too short.
Not sure if you already knoew this stuff but just FYI.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The linkage isn't a straight bolt on to the SF cloumn, you need a GD Impreza column as well. You also need to remove the front subframe spacer blocks or the linkage will be too short.
Not sure if you already knoew this stuff but just FYI.
I am just going to use the bottom piece of the linkage, removing it at the U-joint and attaching it to the linkage that's already in my Forester. Like this:
Steering Linkage Swap | AussieDan

·
Registered
1999 Forester
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice, I haven't seen it done that way before. I would love to have an STI rack in mine but the WRX one is sufficient for now.
How big of an improvement is the WRX rack over stock? I know they are a lot cheaper, plus easier to find.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
***UPDATE***
I attempted to swap out the steering rack today, using the directions I listed above for the linkage. I just wanted to warn anyone else thinking about doing it this way: DON'T. These directions will screw you up big-time. Just cut and weld the linkage, it's a thousand times easier.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got another linkage (after destroying the first one) and talked to a welder about mating the STI linkage and my OEM one. He said I'd have to remove the bearings or the heat of TIG welding would cook them. I figured since they had to come out anyway, I'd just swap out the center spicer-style linkage, and I didn't have to weld anything.

·
Registered
2004 2.5 XT
4 Posts
I was told the bearings should survive welding but they were just a little bit afraid of the metal rod getting harder in it's material (and tend to crack more easily - theoretically)

·
Registered
1999 Forester
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was told the bearings should survive welding but they were just a little bit afraid of the metal rod getting harder in it's material (and tend to crack more easily - theoretically)
The guy I talked to is a grad student who teaches classes on welding and CNC at Embry-Riddle, so I trust his judgement. This isn't the kind of part you want to have fail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts