Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These photos show what can happen under those good looking fender flares, not a pretty site.

Originals are here: Fender Flare Surprises! - Nissan Pathfinder Off-Road Association

Looks good with them:

But.....

All four arches show some sign of rust. Note this is an Ontario Pathfinder and I understand in Ontario they are heavy users of chemical de-icier rather than sand.

I have always been leery of putting these on for just this reason.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Most anything that gets bolted to the body like that will have that happen if salt/deicer is used in the area. Running boards, spoilers, any sort of body kit parts all end up like that. The moisture just sits in there rusting it all away. I'd like to see what it looks like under the forester roof rails (especially the plastic ends) as I see rust stains coming from mine now.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Looking at the suspension components, one shouldn't have been too surprised.

Around here, they use sand and chemical deicers and you rarely see rust unless the vehicle was brought into Alaska with it already going on.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
See that sort of thing happen to pickup truck beds down by the coast. Rusts out from the inside where one can't wax or clean.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,758 Posts
When I pulled the OEM mudflaps off my 05 XT all sorts of crap was stuck up in there. This was a Boston area Subaru will only 15k miles on it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
10 Posts
The thing looks like it is 10 + years old - just put the plastic flares back on and keep driving it until if finally falls apart...

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,294 Posts
Will the same thing happen to the side moldings that come standard on the XT?
Can the side moldings be easily removed, or will you need a body shop to plug some holes?

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
47 Posts
Yikes, I'm hoping that the wheel arch moldings on my Foz won't end up with the same result.

·
Registered
03 x
384 Posts
ontario is well known for using salt on the roads most of the vehicles that get winter driven up here dont live more then 10 years. my forester now has rust around all the doorhandles and on the tailgate. ill fix that when i repaint it this summer.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual 5sp.
1,662 Posts
Most cars I know that have pulled fenders/flares were cut, then sealed properly (underneath) and repainted (on top) with proper clear coat.

This stuff could happen regardless in the worst climates, but shouldn't happen too quickly and isn't something you should really be afraid of.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts