Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why I didn't notice this sooner, but my front driver side tire is a different make than the other 3. The tread pattern and wear is visually similar, and all are M+S rated, but I know this isn't doing good things for the car. I've put 3k miles on them since buying the car, and I have no idea how far the previous owner drove on them. What damage have I potentially done? What do I need to watch for over the next few months/years as a result?

Needless to say, I plan to pick up a set of 5 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S, 215/65/16 tires next week (guilt-free, now that I have a good excuse). These will be on year round, mostly on pavement but hopefully an increasing number of off-road miles. Can anyone tell me how handling on snow/ice will compare to all-season M+S tires? I realize that snow tires are ideal, but we don't get enough snow in the Front Range for me to justify having a dedicated set of snows. Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
What tire and model of tires. If the tread is visually similar there is a chance the tires may just be a rebrand. IE Firestone makes the winter force with their branding, they also sell a off brand winter force with out the firestone logo.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any thoughts as to whether the 3k +? miles on mismatched tires have done any damage to the differentials?

·
Registered
2001 Forester 5 speed
122 Posts
Any thoughts as to whether the 3k +? miles on mismatched tires have done any damage to the differentials?
i would say no damage, even subaru a says anything less then 1/8 inch difference is fine. But ordering a matching set is good regardless, it also gives you piece of mind

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geolanders are mounted! One question for all of you who do a five tire rotation though...if I buy a matching Subaru steel silver rim to replace the stock black spare rim, how well does it fit in the spare well? I assume the round storage tray no longer fits? Where is the best place to buy one rim?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts