Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of buying a 2005 Forester XT. It looks brand new and has extremely low miles for its age, one owner and records. The two most pressing questions that I have are how does it compare to the normally aspirated 2.5L motors IRT fuel mileage, and must you use premium fuel? Any other tips would be appreciated on problems specific to Foresters for which I might be on the lookout. Thanks in advance.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
If fuel economy is a big issue stick with a N/A Forester. The turbos need premium.
We have three sets of Subaru keys sitting on the kitchen counter. Given the choice, the 04 XT keys would be the first choice of my wife and daughter if I were to give up first dibs.

·
Registered
2006 WRX
15 Posts
I'm not sure where you are located, but if you drive in high altitude, 7000k and above, it would be a no brainer for me. TURBO. I have lived at 200ft and a mile high. I need the extra power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where I live is in hilly terrain at about 1000'MSL. I like the turbo option that I have in my Volvo 940t, but it's getting tired at 155K and 16 years old. I need reliable transpo, so that is what the Forester will hopefully provide. The '05 I'm getting ready to buy has 22K miles on it and looks literally brand new.

Mileage is important, but anything over 25 MPG highway would be good. What kind of mileage do most here get with the 2.5T? Consumer Reports gives it a combo of 21/27, but EPA has it at 20/23, which is very confusing.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
The EPA figures are closer to real life if you stay of the joy pedal.

·
Registered
05 XT 5MT
308 Posts
I have an '05 xt with a little bit of a heavy foot (I love on ramps). I get 18/24mpg.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
I have reliably gotten 19-20 USmpg. Always the same. As stock...modified....VF-43....racing...conservative driving.
Now I can force ~16 with even bigger turbo, injectors & fuel pump, but still average 19-20 with regular driving.
I have never gotten better than 21.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, no matter. the deal fell through. It was a sweet ride, but the dealer started adding fees and other profit enhancing goodies, and actually lied about how the sales tax was figured, so I walked away. I'm shocked, shocked, that a used car dealer would lie about something:icon_eek:

I have a line on another Forester that I will check out this Saturday, but I have to drive 3 hours to see it. One year newer ('06) and with higher mileage (48,000) and N/A, but much lower in price. hopefully the fees will be nonexistent too, but one dealer is like another I'm thinking.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,736 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Here's hoping this one works out for you:).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts