Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, a week from Saturday I will be returning to EFI Logics for a 4-wheel alignment and a tune tweak. It sure looks like I could pick up another 12 to 15 WHP with an APS 65mm CAI, but I'm being a bit chicken-sh*t with the fear of injesting water with it.

We get plenty of precipitation up here in NH, and plenty of slushy roads and snow. Cost is not an issue, the install is easy but if I'm going to do it, I need to order the intake very soon.

I'd love to have the tune adjusted for it and pick up the extra WHP, but at the same time I cannot afford to take chances with this daily driver.

Talk to me guys (and gals) - are my fears unfounded and I should just go for it, or should I play it safe and stick with the stock air box?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
just be careful with it.. youll know what side of the car its on so be wary of what you drive over on that side.. i had a CAI on my eclipse that was right by the bottom of my front bumper.. my car was slammed to be a cigarette box from the floor (3 inches) and i had no fender liner! it survived a pretty bad winter with slush n tons of rain..

goin from a short ram to CAI is def worth it n u will notice some gain with very very little heat soak compared to a SRI.. which makes it beautiful

n, i too, am using an APS 65mm CAI w/ perrin aftamaf hose

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
You'd have to be in a foot or two of water or hit a giant puddle just wrong to take in enough water to cause you issues...

I'm personally not concerned, so stop being chicken **** :biggrin:

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
I ran a CAI in MA for several years on my Honda. I never had any issues, and I regularly drove to the mountains. One PIA thing is that you have to clean the filter much more often, and the increase in noise.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Remember the maf hose and I've had no issues thus far. But as mentioned above, I'm aware of it's presence and take it easy when driving w/ lots of standing water to make sure the right side is going through massive puddles.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Also, K&N and a few other companies make "socks" for CAI's that are water resistant. You put it over the cone filter and it will help keep water out. I'd put one of those on for particularly wet days. However if you have the fender liners and all the stock plastic protective stuff, waters not going to get in there. With no fender liners and snorkus removal i don't get much water in the air box ever (at least not enough to get the filter wet, occasionally theres some residue in the bottom of the box). The only time I had a problem was in the snow when my wheel wells were filled with snow due to some drifting fun, however it just blocked it so it couldn't get enough air, filter didn't even get wet.

·
Registered
800 Posts
on a side note.. i remember reading an article on CAIs a while ago n the only way your gonna ingest water n cause damage to the engine is if the filter is completely submersed in water....... i also forgot to add in my 1st post was that after rainy days or driving on snow with my eclipse.. my CAI filter felt pretty wet.. almost soaked from it bein out in the open.. i never had any problems with the engine or performance of the car...... but i also didnt submerse it in puddles....

now go n cop the APS CAI n dont ever do that ^^

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
The issue we run into often around here is that they'll get damp and freeze up in the winter. Most guys I know swap on short-ram's for the winter so they don't have to try and suck their fresh air through a block of ice.
Hum. Hadn't thought of that potential failure mode. I suppose if you just hold onto the stock box, if you do end up having this sort of issue, you can always swap back to that in the winter...

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The issue we run into often around here is that they'll get damp and freeze up in the winter. Most guys I know swap on short-ram's for the winter so they don't have to try and suck their fresh air through a block of ice.
I can very easily see that happening, and it could certainlly be an issue! When the snow starts blowin' it seems to creep through every crack and crevice.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
There was a member in SoCal who hydrolocked his engine after driving though a puddle with a CAI. I actually ditched my Prodrive CAI because I didn't want to chance it (I live in a flood zone), but I'm still running an SPT short ram, and with underbody protection (skidplate) it's reasonably protected from splashing water.

Edit: it was ne0stai2dust: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/so-rained-today-southern-california-25114/

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
I had an Injen CAI on my SF that sat in the fender pretty low, and now an AEM CAI on the LGT that sits pretty much just as low. Like others have said, you have to drive through a pretty substantial puddle to hydrolock the motor. I was finally motivated to put my oem splash guard back on the legacy once I saw how exposed the filter would be without it.

The AEM is also super quiet as far as aftermarket intakes go. The APS, being a similar style, I think would be comparable to the AEM CAI in sound. Turbo spool is more pronounced, along with the stock BPV, but no loud, annoying sucking noises some cars produce with aftermarket CAIs.

·
Registered
800 Posts
actually my APS CAI is pretty dam loud as well.. just as loud as the SPT SRI.. from the cabin.. its a TAD bit lower since its in the fender n not in the engine bay.. but still.. with radio off n windows down.. u could def hear it without tryin.. u can even hear it covering your ears! n with windows down drivin fast.. its definitely loud..

but i like that sound... :biggrin:

·
Registered
800 Posts
With the weather we've been having today, how do you feel about it now! lol
aint scared man.. aint scared.. i feel good cause this cold weather plus the rain makin it colder is givin me more power!

moooree powaaaa doctaaa!

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
I guess loud is always relative...

I have a straight through 3" TBE with a WBR muffler and an APS CAI. It makes some noise, but I personally like it. Hearing the harmonious sounds of a deep breathing motor...there is just something about it...:biggrin:

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Yeah I dig that sound and I only have removed my snorkusizgxCcadscgjkxhbwh
all this CAI talk has me interested. I need to stay away from this place.. :)
I have bills to pay people ... LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts