Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX TR
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered before, but I just wanted to be 100% certain before I buy: Will 215/75/15 tires (specifically BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2) fit on an SF Forester with SG rear struts?

Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
I am running 215/70/15 General Arctic Altimax tires on my SF with SF KYB struts and its tight, with the struts and with the fender opening. You can probably fit a 215/75, but it will be snug.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Dunno if they'll fit, but i wanna see pics if they do.:rock:

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX TR
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have ordered the tires and I will take pictures and post them up when I get them on the Foz!

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX TR
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, your Forester looks wicked nice!

Here's a picture of the rims and tires that will be going on the Forester on Monday:

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX TR
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the tires mounted and balanced and then went and got an alignment. They just barely fit. Here's the pictures:

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
I want to know...

How much it tanks the MPG...(mud tires aren't exactly MPG friendly)

If our '06 becomes a full time farm office(my cousin who owns it wants a newer car...finally), it will need off-road tires.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX TR
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much it tanks the MPG...(mud tires aren't exactly MPG friendly)

If our '06 becomes a full time farm office(my cousin who owns it wants a newer car...finally), it will need off-road tires.
I'm planning on checking the next time I fill up. I'll let you know!

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
That is snug, but looks good. Are you running 1" spacers all around and taller springs?

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
296 Posts
I don't want to hijack the thread but I was wondering about taller sidewall tires. Since our '03 XS uses 215/65/16s I was wondering if the taller sidewall just gave more cushioning for off road since there is more air volume in the tire? Do you run the same PSI? Just a simple answer - no hijacking - thanks!

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX TR
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is snug, but looks good. Are you running 1" spacers all around and taller springs?
I have King Springs (~1.4" lift) on it with 3/4" rear & 1/2" front spacers. I'm also using SG struts for more room in the back (spring perch is higher than on the SF strut).

I don't want to hijack the thread but I was wondering about taller sidewall tires. Since our '03 XS uses 215/65/16s I was wondering if the taller sidewall just gave more cushioning for off road since there is more air volume in the tire? Do you run the same PSI? Just a simple answer - no hijacking - thanks!
By no means am I going to pretend I'm an expert at offroading, but from what I have read, having a taller sidewall allows for more grip on rocks/sand when you lower the air pressure of the tire. I believe it also gives more cushion between the hard surface you're driving on and your rim (think about offroading with a low profile tire, yikes). I think the cushoning benefit comes from increasing the tire's compressibility by lowering overall pressure inside the tire, while still keeping the rim and sidewall protected.

I also liked the skinnier tire (215/75) because it should perform fairly well in snowy situations as well as off-road.

So far I've been running 28PSI, but I'm going to test the MPG with that and then inflate to 30-32PSI to see how much the MPG changes. If I was going to be doing some serious time offroading then yes I would deflate and reinflate after I was done. Hope I answered your question!

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX TR
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After about a week of driving it looks like I'm getting between 22-24 MPG in mixed driving ~(70% Highway, 30% City). Not really all that bad considering the size and weight of the wheels.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX TR
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used 03 struts... however, you have to change the way the brake line is affixed to the strut tower.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Nice! One of these days I'd like to put on some mud terrains.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
13 Posts
hate to bring this back from the dead but ha=ow did the KM2's work out for you?did you "have" to change the rear struts to the SG's or would it have cleared without?Also were the wheel spacers necessary ?

·
Registered
2007 Subaru WRX TR
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hate to bring this back from the dead but ha=ow did the KM2's work out for you?did you "have" to change the rear struts to the SG's or would it have cleared without?Also were the wheel spacers necessary ?
Here's my opinion of the KM2's:

If you spend a lot of time driving at highway speeds, I don't recommend them. They are loud and it gets old after awhile. They also don't have the best wear characteristics (at least, how this particular set wore on my 2001). They weren't great in snow, but I've driven on worse all seasons before.

IIRC, I did have to change the rear strut as the tire wouldn't clear the perch... as it was, it was a very tight fit.

The spacers I referenced were a strut lift - I didn't need to use wheel spacers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts