Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Poor mans Race Car SF5 --f-- Omz's Foz

Well, I've been lurking for nearly a year now and have owned my 200 Forester for just over a year so I figure its time for me to make one of these.

Purchased my car back in July of 2009 as an alternative to a 1996 Jeep Cherokee that I picked up for about $800. The Forester has leather, a radio and A/C, everything that the XJ didn't, except the Forester is an auto... the first auto I have ever owned, yuck.

Anyway, on with my journal. The first year of ownership has been uneventful aside from the creation of a forced 4wd switch which my friend and I upgraded a bit and basic maintenance including oil, fuel filter, knock sensor, and a few scented trees.

About a month or two ago I started getting the mod bug, and well, this is where I will leave off for now. Below is a table of contents and pictures. I hope this turns into a massively followed journal like some people have... but its very doubtful.

Thanks for reading,
-Omz

Table of Contents
Pictures
Heated seat switch light
JDM --f-- grill
Garage Door Lip
AUX lights
Independent Fog Mod
Monstrous Rage Roof basket
Flat Tire :(
New Tires Continental ExtremeContact DWS 225/55/16
Window switch quick fix and A pillar cover replace
My first solo!
18mm Sway Bar

Thanks for reading, feel free to comment!

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stop the rattle!

best $1.89 I've ever spent. 8 feet of aquarium hose and a few very very small dabs of some left over super glue and the rattling and squeaking.

Hopefully this week I will experiment with some mud flaps and get my LED projects underway.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they are relatively cheap and I might be able to find something in a color to help start a color scheme for my car. maybe red or blue?

anyway, i'm hoping to get time to make some homebrew RA flaps.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have modding ADD, I'm never satisfied and need stuff to mess with. Soooo, today I killed two birds with one stone by replacing the burned out light in the heated seat switch with some red LEDs, they look pretty cool from what I can tell, haven't seen them in the dark yet. Once you know what your doing its no more than 10 minutes of soldering and fitting.

the left side is the positive side, the right is the negative side. I always have the resistor before the LED, thats just the way I was taught.

the secret to getting the new assembly back into the switch is applying a very tiny amount of pressure to the slider and flipping the switch to the high setting on the front that way you can slip the light in with out to much bending.

I will do a full DIY sometime in the near future, if there is enough requests for it. Its not complicated at all, just make sure you get your positives and negatives right. I'm also hoping this week to be able to find some semi mud flaps and get them cut down and get them working. Also, I plan on ordering a few new lights and maybe some HID fog lights, dunno yet on those.

thanks for reading everyone!

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Added mud flaps, very satisfied with the over all look. Next week or two I want to make a radiator shroud. I figure it will be easy and fun to keep my modding at bay for a while.

Also, anyone any good with bondo, fiber glass, body filler? I have another project in mind but need advice and guidance on what products to use, I want to cut up my grill a bit. PM me or post up if this is your expertise.

Thanks for reading

omz

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Done some work on the foz today.

I took it in and got the head gasket and timing belt done, was on borrowed time with the belt, 131k total miles, stock belt. The best part about it is that it was done by a reputable mech for half of the factory and cheaper than anyone else I talked to by hundreds.

Also tinted the fog lights cause I like that look a lot.

next is brakes cause they are starting to squeal.

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD
4,683 Posts
Looks awsome! Where did you get the yellow tint from for the fogs?

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I did a little spray paint project today. I'm stoked. it looks weird and killer in a different way. I sprayed the washer bottle and overflow bottle black. yes, the alt. cover looks dirty, but its red and with black wiped across in thin coats over the metal cause it wasnt drying... long story short, it looked like donkey in red and i made do with my short temper.

pics are here!

this is the old dirty and not painted engine bay

freshly painted, will be degreased and scrubed on saturday and detailed on thursday for the show on sunday!

this is the driver side.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know you guys think my journal is nothing special.... oh well. I still update it for fun and to share my clean engine bay. :D
Day time picture of my engine bay after a little detailing and some paint.

and i got my scoobies for boobies vinyls yesterday so I have to rock those!!

I know I know, I really need to get my good camera out and start shooting with it and not this ****ty camera phone.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't updated this in forever. Figure I might as well.

Brakes crapped out. Sooo, I got new ones. They are currently on, and awesome. I love the feeling of new brakes on a car, or new cars in general. KNS Brakes did me right and told me what I needed and didn't need. The only thing is shipping was an arm and a leg. someone needs to tell them what flat rate boxes are.

for the brakes them selves there is no pulsing, no squeaking, or problems, and the grinding that was coming from the front has indeed been fixed.

if you need brakes talk to these people if you can afford $40 in shipping.

I also have a SF5 grill coming in from Japan! I have a local contact that got shipped out there for a year or so and he hooked me up. $50 shipped to him, then it should be another $20 to me. AWESOME!

Also have some plans for the summer.
Tail Lights LED Flashing + 01/02 tail lights = possible awesomeness? We shall see, I need to get a little more income though.

Thanks for reading
omz

1 - 20 of 138 Posts