Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good buy if they come with regular old changes and a auto box?

I was thinking circa 98/99 - basically where I can leave it anywhere overnight and load it full of rubbish etc- not have to worry about bodywork damage.

If I looked at a 2.0 auto- would this be fairly bombproof if it has a history of being maintained? ....and are there any major gremlins in them?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,597 Posts
there is a legacy owners club, I've found them pretty helpful on there.

Regards

AM

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a legacy owners club, I've found them pretty helpful on there.

Regards

AM
Derr....Registered and posted. You'd think I'd have thought of this myself wouldn't you? :crazy: :shake:

Thank you :biggrin:

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
I had two UK turbo estates before I had the Forester. The white one was brilliant as traffic moved out of the way to let you pass !! The blue one was a tow car for pony and trailer, the load space was cavernous. Never had any fears about parking up any where, after all, who would want to nick a dirty blue estate car ? If the autobox is the 4eat, like the one on my T/tb then they are virtually bullet proof with just the regular fluid changes.

Good luck in the search for one.

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have driven Legacy's since 1993 mainly estates, most of the cars were reliable. But ask their owners about service history look at receipts ie if the oil & filters are changed every 6k then the car could last around 8-10 years. Always ask the owner why selling now?
Clutches lasted around 50-60k, tyres 25-35k , rear exhaust box around 6/7 years .
I always used OE filters and found the main issue were sensors failing and warning lights appearing every 3 years.
Main Dealers are ££££ so look around a local auctions.
The main clue when looking at older cars are the make & quality of the tyres , rear tailgate rust, warning lights that stay on,doors that have to be slammed shut,under the bonnet oil no signs of life in the expansion tank/ under the engine signs of off road use damage.
Economy isn't great[ 28 mpg av ] & insurance can be higher than the norm.
Drive the car from cold and listen for any mechanical noises rumblings and any sign of pulling to one side. Its a buyers market at present in the North West the only cars selling are upto £3k and new Korean 1.2l marvels.
On that basis I would go for the newest car with known mileage you can afford.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ta. Im not bothered about theft. I just worry (much to my girlfriends amazement) of car park dings, etc etc.

Couple of weekends ago I left my Foz in the centre of Brighton overnight- next morning I found that someone had pulled off one of the headlamp washer jets and dropped it 300m's away (clipped straight back in). That really annoyed me. :chair:

So...really its a snotter that can carry 2-3 muddy mountain bikes without the worries of the headlining, be left anywhere, be dented etc etc without worrying about it looking 'smart' etc.

I'm also open to an offer to sell me one but its got to be scruffy but tip top :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drive the car from cold and listen for any mechanical noises rumblings.

What could that show? My Foz is noisy (sounds like the rollers/from the belts- not squeel) from cold for the first 5mins.

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Agree with everything Olduser1 said. Seem to recollect a bit of piston slap on start-up and I remember being advised to use Wynn's Hydraulic Lifter fluid (something like that) to keep the tappets (?) clean and free...appeared to work.

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts