Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thousands of bookmarked VB links that no longer work on this new XF site. Below is my workaround. Since links posted here will be automatically converted to actual links, I had to post my document as an image.

Bobby...

Here's the old VB link that doesn't work:

► Update 10-31-19 - Verticalscope has now fixed this old VB link to get you to the thread now, which is better than the previously displayed message! It still won't get you to the specific post.

Here's the new XF link to the same page. This link will get you to the specific post, within the thread:
['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Administrator
36,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Administrator I agree, the old VB links should have been fixed, rewritten during the migration process to this XF site, but not all of them were fixed! In addition, you, VerticalScope can't fix the broken links that members have bookmarked in their browser!

What VerticalScope could do is to program XF to default to the main thread when an old VB link to a post within a thread is used... like this one:

That would prevent this from being displayed!

The old VB link to a thread will work on this new XF site... the system is able to get to the thread. The problem is with old VB links to a post within a thread. Those do not work, as the old VB format isn't compatible with the new XF format!

I have thousands of bookmarked links in my browser, as in the example in my previous post, that don't work. Hence the "workaround" on how to fix those dead links.

Both my Member Journals have internal linking... a "Table of Contents" that don't work, as they link to posts with in the Member Journal... thread. I've been fixing the links as needed on a post reply link, but this could take me "forever"... or may never happen, as there are so many links to fix!

Bobby...

·
Registered
42 Posts
We released a significant update to the re-writing of old URLs tonight. We expect another update in the next week that will deal with post anchors (eg. redirecting to the correct post # within a thread). Please let me know if you find any broken URLs so we can investigate, and hopefully solve.

·
Administrator
36,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@rdlviper The only change I see is that the links no longer die with this message:

Now you're dumped into the thread, but not at the post that the link was pointing to. Take a look at my Members' Journal Table of Contents You can try some of the links to see if they get you to the correct post. Note that I have been fixing some of the links, but it will take forever to manually fix all the links...

On the positive side, I anticipated something like this could happen, so when I created the Table of Contents, I also included a "Post #", so you can find the post, even if the link is screwed up.

► Update - I have been fixing the "Table of Content" links, so some are now functional.

Bobby...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Post anchors will take another week or two.

But the actual broken links... Links that were not working at all... Should now be fixed.

·
Administrator
36,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
42 Posts
Post anchors will be fixed likely next week - November 5th. They utilize a JS redirect. First step was fixing the actual broken links, and then finish up with getting you to the right post anchor

·
Registered
42 Posts
@rdlviper it's been a month since your post above. It's now past the holidays & into the new year... 2020. Any progress on these issues?

Bobby...

Yes - lots of progress.
AdminCP will be rolling out this week. We didn't want to do it right before the Holidays just in case there were problems or glitches.
Redirects - unfortunately as we suspected, the challenge is when an anchored URL is being used, and the post is no longer on the right page. The server redirects it to the right place, but the post isn't on that page. The server doesn't see the anchor. So, we have to decide:
1. we do the redirect client-side with new code (which means search crawlers will still not see it) ... but for an existing user, at least they get to the right place/content.
2. we actually go through the database, and properly update the links to the proper new location. This is better for search, but a bit of a high-risk activity to actually actively edit every link on the site that has a post anchor. The team is split on whether we should do this.
We have not yet chosen a path... but with a few other big projects out of the way (AdminCP, Premium Membership, machine-learning recommendations), this one is going to be on the agenda again shortly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts